• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Richard W

just got back from a quick walk around work and spent 30 mins watching a pair of Kingfishers fishing on two ponds.

first year I've seen two at this time of year so hoping they might nest, made an artifical bank in 1996 which has never been used.

was amazed to see both birds pecking at the bank of the larger pond, the hole is only an inch or so deep and only 8 - 10 inches above the water, both birds were taking it turns to dig.

been waiting 13 yrs for signs of nesting, a bit put out they dont like my bank, early days but wonderful to see them looking like they might be setting up home, am looking forward to a summer of Kingfisher watching on my doorstep o:) o:) o:)

Good stuff! Long wait, but must be all the more welcome for the long delay! Could I ask a few details about this bank (size of pools, size of bank, material made of) - I'm thinking of building a bank around one of two pools I've had excavated on land I have. Ta very much

made the bank after seeing them at Rye House Marsh, got in touch with the warden and he helped me with the design so is tried and tested, only theirs (which have been used by Kingfisher and S Martin) are more successful than mine :)

will post some photos of the ponds tomorrow, niether are that big.

bank is approx 4m long, 1.5m high, and 1.5m deep (from what I remember it had to be at least 1'5 m deep as the tunnels can reach up to 1m into the bank).

started with a concrete base, and built a 3 sided breeze block retaining wall. Then added layers of sharp sand with a very small amount of cement added to bind it.

the tricky bit is getting the mix right as not enough means it falls apart too quickly and too much means the birds can't dig. I used a 5% mix and the bank is still very stable but not too hard.

used scaffold boards up the front to hold everything in while it was put together.

once base and wall were done it was just a case of adding layers of sand/cement mix approx 12 inches deep, heavily compacted then a 2 inch layer of cement on top, let that set for a day or two, then another layer of sand/cement mix + 2 inches of cement. Repeat till you reach the top.

left the scaffold boards up the front for a week. Built up soil around the outer walls to blend it in, then grass seeded the top & sides.

one old bank at Rye House that didn't have the 2 inch cement layers and had collapsed, mine still looks good after nearly 10 yrs so would definitely suggest that method.

I've got some photos of when we were making it, will try to get them scanned so I can post them, probably better than me trying to describe it ;)

it was a good project, though having seen the birds digging at a natural bank (a bank I always assumed was far too small) I'm not sure it was worth the effort o:)

esp as the only things to nest in it to date are wasps....

both birds present again this evening, only one bird digging and noticed a second hole about 30ft away, deeper than one they were digging last night, about length of its body.

couple of other things from looking at the construction photos that I was advised to do, before covering with earth and seeding the top was covered in several layers of chicken wire to stop anything digging down into it, and made an overhang at the top with a bit of 2x4 so predators like Weasels & Stoats can't climb down to the nest.

bank3.jpg is the larger pond where they're digging, what really surprises me is the holes are both approx 8 - 10 inches above the water and look very easy to get down to for something like Weasel/Stoat...

bank2.jpgyou can see the location in the middle of the photo, is West facing, was advised to build it close to some cover, preferably with branches over hanging the water.

HTH

Attachments

• bank1.jpg
    bank1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 168
  • bank2.jpg
    bank2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 145
  • bank3.jpg
    bank3.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 154
Looks great Richard. Is this your garden? If so, it's very big and must attract plentiful wildlife species. Lucky you!

it is :)

is a real oasis in middle of a very arable farming area, lots of old woodland and grazing surrounding it so attracts a lot of birds (after 13 yrs am one short of 100 species) and insects, 18 different Dragon/Damselfy on the two ponds, plenty of Frogs & Toads, Newts (inc Great Crested) big garden so loads of Butterflies etc.

the pond with the bank was a badly polluted muddy hole when I arrived thanks to the cows jumping in it, has been v good watching it regenerate once they were kept out, amazing transformation.

worked in some v nice places over the years but this one is amazing for wildlife, highlight was finding Barn Owls nesting close by about 5 yrs ago (they're still going) but I've always wanted Kingfishers to set up home, is the first time I've seen a pair this time of year and never seen any signs of nest building before so am keeping everything crossed o:)

fantastic work and story!

what a place to work! - beats working down deep muddy holes on broken gas mains like i do.

keep up the good work and keep us informed on the wildlife please......

will keep you posted on their progress.

trying (and failing) not to get my hopes up too much as I'm still expecting them to clear off and find a better nest site.

if they could see their way to using the worlds biggest nest box I made for them I would be a lot happier, as it is the spot they've picked looks very dodgy to me (esp if the water level rises), but the fact they've bothered to start two tunnels suggests I might have a reason to get excited o:)

was able to get some great views of one bird (male) early this morning and noticed it was ringed, one was caught a few years ago so presumably same bird.

seems to be doing most of the digging.

Attachments

• kingfisher2.jpg
    kingfisher2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 146
the plumage is unreal! - never been that close to one before, as they are one second wonders round here. blink and you'll miss em.

that was the first bird of a very good ringing session that day :)

as of this morning they seem to be favouring the first hole I saw them making, on Sunday it was only a small depression and the birds were only just able to hang on to the bank so was surprised to see it deep enough for one of them to completely disappear today.

seems odd they should put so much effort into two tunnels, could be normal behaviour I suppose.

Hi Richard

Nice story, but I can understand your disappointment after all the trouble you took, but one never knows what birds will favour or look for.

These ponds look very deserted as I didn't notice any waterfowl in the pictures, but apart from that they look wonderful, a real oasis.

I hope for you they will nest there and will follow their progress, I have only seen Kingfishers a couple of times but never long enough to get a real good look because, as Salty writes, they are one second wonders.

I never seen kingfisher digging a hole. This must be very interesting sight! It is amazing that they dig so quickly.

These ponds look very deserted as I didn't notice any waterfowl in the pictures, but apart from that they look wonderful, a real oasis.

they are in the middle of a fairly busy garden so not much around during the day, a lot of ducks (Mallard) fly in at dusk, at the moment there are Coots, Moorhen, 2 Canada Goose and Little Grebe. The larger pond was cleared out 2 yrs ago as it was clogged with Water Lily, in summer you could barely see any water! Will be replanting this year.

is surprising what turns up on them though, when level is down in the autumn Green and/or Common Sandpiper turn up most years, plus occasional Snipe.

It is amazing that they dig so quickly.

am quite shocked how fast they are, they dont really spend that much time digging from what I've seen, plus the soil here is heavy clay so it can't be easy. The male was there on his own when I left work, will be going back in about an hour to see if there's any more activity, will try and get some pics through my scope.

I had the privilage to watch a pair of Kingfishers courtship feeding a few years ago , a wonderful sight with the male beating the living daylights out of a small fish then presenting it to the female while holding it by the tail so she could eat it head first , brilliant , hope you get to see your 2 doing this , it really is lovely to watch , after all your hard work you deserve some success .

Ashley :clap:

not seen any displaying like that, they just seem to call to each other a lot, have an old book with photos of all sorts of odd postures and feeding, would be nice to see.

not so much activity today, only saw them briefly this afternoon around the area where the holes are.

only one bird today, looks like they've gone elsewhere :C

on the plus side the Little Grebes look like they're nest building, they've tried before but always failed.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back