• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

500mm Manual focus lens (1 Viewer)

Anybody have experience of using manual focus long lenses for bird photography. I have the nikon 300mm F4 AFS pus 1.4 TC, but like everyman and his dog I need more reach, a 500mm AFS VR lens is out of my price bracket so I am considering a used Nikon 500mm P lens ( manual focus).
I could stretch to the Nikon 300mm F2.8 AFS VR, plus 1.7 TC if I thought it would give me significantly improved results . Cheers Stephen

I've bought one myself last week (500 f4P), as I can't ever see myself having enough money for the new VR version, not at least for the next few years. I gave it a trial run last Sunday, and have to say that about 95% of my shots suffered from blurring to some degree. They're nowhere as easy to use as a 300mm, so you really need to invest in some decent support I think. I was crazy, trying to just balance the lens on the foot mount!

Here's the best I've managed. There's a bit of camera shake on the Pochard but the other two are okay. The quality is very good indeed; better than what I can show here. As good as the 300 f4 really and that's a sharp lens! Taken with a 1.4B teleconverter attached to give 700 f5.6. Note that you'll need at least a D200 or D300 with the converter for the camera to meter.

Attachments

• DSC_0166_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_0166_edited-1.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC_0188_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_0188_edited-1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_0213_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_0213_edited-1.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 279
Anybody have experience of using manual focus long lenses for bird photography. I have the nikon 300mm F4 AFS pus 1.4 TC, but like everyman and his dog I need more reach, a 500mm AFS VR lens is out of my price bracket so I am considering a used Nikon 500mm P lens ( manual focus).
I could stretch to the Nikon 300mm F2.8 AFS VR, plus 1.7 TC if I thought it would give me significantly improved results . Cheers Stephen

Yes. I had an old Tamron 500mm mirror lens. I now have a Canon 500 and 300 F4 L IS - and I use both on manual focus quite a lot (on a 30D). The main reason I use MF is because I like to shoot little birds that like to hide in bushes, and the AF is too easily distracted. Sometimes I also use a 2x TC which won't AF.

Quite happy using MF when there is time. Steadyness is _far_ more important which is why I have gone for IS but there is nothing better than the good solid gimbal mounted in the back of my tractor !

Mike.

Have had one for nearly ten years now, and love it. Most of the time I use a 300mm f2.8vr, with a 1.7 converter-just about portable enough as an every day walk about lens, as it does birds and insects. On those occasion when I know I need reach, and am not to bothered by the bulk, the 500 is used-its a bit longer and heavier than the 300 (but a lot more portable than the af versions of the 500).
Have been using cameras since the 70's so manual focus not a problem for me. However flight shots and anything moving a bit erratically can be a bit of a problem. Tend to stop the lens down a bit to f8 and hope for the best. It can occasionally be handheld, though I wouldnt recommend it and sometimes you can get away with balancing it on a firm support, but you really should get a good tripod and head for it.
Of all the manual focus tele Nikkors this is by far the best-the fact thats it's chipped and works to some degree with automatic settings and metering is a bonus. Decent overview of the telephoto lenses-
http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Phil

There's a review of the Nikkor 500/4 P lens here:

http://nikonglass.blogspot.com/2008/05/nikkor-mf-500mm-f4p.html

Like the previous poster said, the lens is chipped and so you'll have 3d matrix metering, and the correct f number will be displayed. However you loose this as soon as you mount a 1.4B teleconverter. I believe the 1.4EII will work but you'll have to grind off a metal tab in order to fit it. Some of the Nikon dealers like Fixation can do this.

I've bought one myself last week (500 f4P), as I can't ever see myself having enough money for the new VR version, not at least for the next few years. I gave it a trial run last Sunday, and have to say that about 95% of my shots suffered from blurring to some degree. They're nowhere as easy to use as a 300mm, so you really need to invest in some decent support I think. I was crazy, trying to just balance the lens on the foot mount!

Here's the best I've managed. There's a bit of camera shake on the Pochard but the other two are okay. The quality is very good indeed; better than what I can show here. As good as the 300 f4 really and that's a sharp lens! Taken with a 1.4B teleconverter attached to give 700 f5.6. Note that you'll need at least a D200 or D300 with the converter for the camera to meter.
Personally i think the 3 shots you posted are excellent! I agree regarding having decent support with long lenses, i use my Giottos Monopod + the new Redsnapper tripod which is brilliant quality for the money + beanbags are ace when your in hides etc.
Keep up the great shots
Cheers
Brian

Here's some more photos that I've taken using this lens. I've used the 1.4x teleconverter for a focal length of 700mm. The grebe shots are more heavily cropped than the Pochard. Note the CA on the twig in front of the grebe, and also in the highlights on the eyes and beak.

Attachments

• newway.jpg
    newway.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 173
  • newway2.jpg
    newway2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_0212.jpg
    DSC_0212.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 179
Ive had a 600mm f5.6 IFED manual Nikkor lens and converter for many years and it works well with my D2Xs body on aperture priority. Silky smooth fingertip focusing and still razor sharp. When I upgraded to an f4 AF 600mm Nikkor I kept the old lens as it is great for taking abroad as it is physically smaller and very much lighter. You soon get used to manual focus but flight shots are a challenge!! For bird photography there is no substitute for reach. You can get hold of these lenses for around £700 or less.
Matrix metering does not work with these older lenses but spot and centre weighted does. If you can get hold of an older 500mm manual lens then go for it, it should give very sharp results for modest outlay. Good luck. Here's a pic of my older lens.

Attachments

• DSCN0430.jpg
    DSCN0430.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 182
Like Den said, manual focus in infact very easy for anything other than BIF, which can be tricky but is by no means impossible. Focusing is much easier than with my 300F4 AFS. The main problems are CA, and keeping the lens well supported.

THe sharpness, colours and contrast are all very good. Here's the best I've taken in the first two months I've had this lens, all taken with a 1.4 teleconverter attached.

Attachments

• 2008-07-27-032.jpg
    2008-07-27-032.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 197
  • 2008-07-27-036.jpg
    2008-07-27-036.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 2008-07-20-013.jpg
    2008-07-20-013.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 186

Hi Stephen, I have had a Tamron SP 500 for maore than 30 years and though it is a lightweight fun lens, it surely is a pain in the neck to get a decent focused subject. I throw away more than 90 % of my birds (an other moving targets ! ) images when back at my desk. I use it on a Nikon D800. The attached files are just almost useable, I am not happy with these, I did not sharpened them with PSP, just did the usual prep with Camera raw and exported in jpg.

Attachments

• _PYA0731.jpg
    _PYA0731.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • _PYA0622.jpg
    _PYA0622.jpg
    952.9 KB · Views: 11
  • _PYA0525.jpg
    _PYA0525.jpg
    933.8 KB · Views: 12
  • _PYA0720.jpg
    _PYA0720.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back