• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (44 Viewers)

Thanks for the compliments guys and girls.
It took two attempts to see the Glauc. 30 seconds after the first the blizzard hit and it really became pointless so I retreated to the car for the snow to stop.
Marched up and down along the concrete dune defence a couple of times and the Glauc came right over head as the first picture shows.
Wish I had managed a shot of the Little Gull though, one that got away as it really was a cracker.
Thanks all

Garden Birds

Good number of birds on the feeders this morning we have Siskins, Goldfinch,Chaffinch,and four Redpolls no sign of the two Bramblings we had in the garden last week as yet.

Black Necked Grebe, Welney, from the main hide-wellies needed for a visit to other hides where I'm told Scaup and Garganey are available....or they were yesterday.

Golden Plover

Norwich four Golden Plover southeast over Melrose Road at 9.20 24th March 2013. Can't remember seeing any Golden Plovers over the city in last 25 years!

As summer migrants pour on to the south and west coasts, we are left in thrall to biting blasts from Siberia, with no immediate prospect of improvement.

Will this be the first year I don’t see a summer visitor until April ?

As for Goldies, there were some giving good and close views from the Beach Road at West Runton today.

Pleasing news I heard today told of 10 different Stonechats being seen east of Salthouse, in the last week or so.

The saga of my mobile ‘phone continues: even though it’s been returned as ‘working perfectly’, I’m still not sure whether it’s OK. My Contacts directory has been ‘wiped’, in the toing-and-froing. Those who wish to correspond by these means, please text me, with your name, so that I can add your number.

Went out this morning to Fakenham about 10:30am to find a Wheatear between Great Snoring and Little Walsingham. Went back home to get my camera to notice someone had put it on RBA at 11:00am.
Got back to the area about 11:30am and had brief views of it, was quite flighty and passing cars meant limited viewing.
Great to see though.

Attachments

• wheatear.jpg
    wheatear.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 200
A slight crop on a 300mm lens, if that is enough info. Tuck into one of the entrances to the fields opposite the Stokesby turn off, but do tuck right in, the traffic ain't clever.

Didn't find that Glaucous Gull at Sea Palling today, but it was pretty raw out there.

A slight crop on a 300mm lens, if that is enough info. Tuck into one of the entrances to the fields opposite the Stokesby turn off, but do tuck right in, the traffic ain't clever.

Didn't find that Glaucous Gull at Sea Palling today, but it was pretty raw out there.

Thanks! That helps a lot :)

Sorry to hear you didn't get a Glauc! It is a bitter place in this wind and hundreds of gulls moving about constantly.

Just more Larids for me again today i`m afraid, but pleasant enough, with 60+ Little Gulls east past Sheringham this morning. The majority were adults birds, but interestingly, not a single summer plumaged one amongst them.

Thanks! That helps a lot :)

Sorry to hear you didn't get a Glauc! It is a bitter place in this wind and hundreds of gulls moving about constantly.

There was only 2 Cranes at Acle at about 1pm they were 70 / 80yds away . Good views off a Glauc & the Purple Sandpipers + about 25 Sanderling & Yellow Legged Gull at Sea Palling

Glaucs

Hiya.

Just had a nice little ride out to Sea Palling. Nice to see a massive number of gulls out there, although got frozen stiff observing them. Highlights were 3 Glaucous Gulls, Yellow Legged GUll and Med Gulls!! Also on a plus note, good to see a Bittern on 1 of the local patches near home!! A decent couple of hours, well worth braving the elements to see them!!

Johnny!

Will this be the first year I don’t see a summer visitor until April ?

Looking at the weather forecast for the next few days, I'm thinking exactly along the same lines and am almost at the point of writing this month off as far as spring goes. Roll on April, May and June when I will be birding my arse off to make up for the paucity of spring records this month. Congrats to anyone who has had a spring record already because as far as I'm concerned, this March goes down as the coldest most wintery I've ever known. Don't get me wrong - I may sound like I'm having a good old moan but really I'm quite light-hearted about the current weather situation and there's still plenty of stuff out there to see - but I'm really looking forward to two or three weeks time when I can finally ditch the winter garb and get out onto those marshes and into the woods and chill-out to plenty of warbler song.

A word off warning to any birders hoping to go to Thorpe Marshes Norwich , do not park in Whitlingham lane as there is no parking there now & they are giving out parking tickets to anyone who is not a resident , I have been in touch Broadland District Council & they told me its a private rd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back