• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starter bins ~$300 ? (1 Viewer)

Hi all, I've been reading through the forum for the past few days and I'm suffering a bit from information overload. There's a lot of binoculars available and even more opinions about them all. I'm just looking for a decent set of bins, probably 8x42, to get me started. Any recommendations for bins I should try out? Thanks in advance.

The best I've seen so far in your price range is the Vanguard Endeavor ED, which currently has a rebate that brings them down to under $250. The view is bright and extremely sharp. Neckstrap is also very comfortable too. Read about it here:
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2011midpricebins/review.html#VanguardEndeavor

Also look at the Cabela's XT II, which seems to be a re-badged Leupold Mojave. I really like the handling of these. The Celestron Trailseeker is pretty decent too, as is the Zen-Ray ZRS.

I see this is your first post so:

Welcome to Bird Forum! :hi:

The Vanguard Endeavors mentioned above are on sale now at Eagle Optics in Middleton, Wisc.

Eagle Optics also sells by mail order and it has a 30 day right to return policy on binoculars you purchase from them if you don't like them. Call them to find out more about it. There are many favorable reviews of this binocular which you can read in the link below.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vanguard/vanguard-endeavor-ed-8x42-binocular

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome and quick recommendation of the Vanguard Endeavors. Any others I should be adding to my short list? I'd like to try out a few to compare since it seems handling and personal preference play a big part in selecting binoculars.

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome and quick recommendation of the Vanguard Endeavors. Any others I should be adding t my short list? I'd like to try out a few to compare since it seems handling and personal preference play a big part in selecting binoculars.

these would be a nice deal:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics/eagle-optics-ranger-ed-8x32-binocular

8x32 is nice compromise between view and weight.

This would be a nice one too http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/demo/zened2-7x36.html

or look for a meopta meopro 6.5x32 (now discontinued but should be available). http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...+6.5x32&_nkw=meopro+6.5x32&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Otherwise the vanguard endeavor mentioned above in 8x42 would work.

I like the 6 - 7 power binoculars especially for close in viewing.

Good luck.

I would also look at the 7x42 Leupold Hawthorne binoculars. Lightweight, very sharp, and nice easy viewing afforded by the slightly lower magnification; they are also backed by Leupold's great CS/Warranty services.

I'm not a huge fan of x32 sized binoculars; I bird in all types of weather and light conditions and really find the x42 or larger sized objectives provide the best views.

Hi all, I've been reading through the forum for the past few days and I'm suffering a bit from information overload. There's a lot of binoculars available and even more opinions about them all. I'm just looking for a decent set of bins, probably 8x42, to get me started. Any recommendations for bins I should try out? Thanks in advance.

It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you.
You make wish to take a look at the Minox BL Comfort Bridge 8x44's which are on sale for $299.99, http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62195

I'm also looking for a first good pair for that price range. B&H are selling the Zeiss Tera 8x42 for 290$ and I was about to put in an order. Now I'm wondering about the other options mentioned above-
Are the Vanguards better? anything else that would be better than the Tera at that price range?!

I'm also looking for a first good pair for that price range. B&H are selling the Zeiss Tera 8x42 for 290$ and I was about to put in an order. Now I'm wondering about the other options mentioned above-
Are the Vanguards better? anything else that would be better than the Tera at that price range?!

I ended up going for that B&H deal on the Terras a few days ago, but it seems to no longer be available. I liked the Terras a lot when I tried them in a local store. I was also influenced by some of the comments in this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=258748

and by their high ratings in the latest Cornell binocular review.

Another possibility I considered were the Vortex Diamondback 8x42, which are currently $189 on B&H. They seem to have lots of positive user reviews.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions so far. I've got the Endeavor and Terra on the way. I couldn't resist checking out the Terra even though they're a little bit more money--photography is one of my main hobbies, so Zeiss is familiar name to me.

The Zeiss Terra are 320$ at eagle optics or 350CAD at Henry's for father's day. I went in there today and compared the Terra and Vanguard Endeavor ED (both in 8x42). They are both very good and very close in image quality. (slightly better field of view and focusing on the Terra and slightly better color with the endeavor, sharpness and close focus pretty much the same.) The differences I noticed that where more significant for me would be the fact that the Endeavor seem brighter and the open bridge feels more comfortable holding especially with one hand but the Terra are slightly smaller.
nmason: The diamondbacks are 220 now on B&H but are 180 at Adorama.

Glad I bought my diamondbacks before b&h's price went up. They're great glasses for critters that are close up 4.5ft but a long throw to get back to distant focus. Great field of view 420 degrees and a great warranty. Can't really imagine image quality being much better.
Would have loved to try the Zen Ray ZRS but living in Wisconsin, only 30 minutes from Eagle Optics and Vortex, I was able to try the Diamond back 8x42 and really didn't need to look further. My wife bought the Diamondback 8x32 both seem great.
Might be better binos out the there for under $300. I just can't imagine they could be that much better.
I tried and ruled out the vanguard because close focus was only around 8 ft.
There are a lot of great binos out there in your price range, so enjoy the search.

Yes the Zeiss Terra's are quite nice for the money but you shouldn't overlook the Bresser Everest 8X42 which even offer a better deal if name recognition does not matter to you. The Everest's are available on e-bay for $240 and are quite a good deal.

Update: I've been using the Endeavor and Terra for the past two days in my backyard. Interestingly, I thought the Endeavor was the clear winner (brighter and sharper) during the first day of use. The Terra was very close in terms of sharpness, but it just didn't seem as bright to my eyes. The sweet spot seemed about the same size on both binoculars. Color was also very close between the two, images were vivid and had good contrast.

On to handling: The focus knob on the Terra is very fast--I'm not sure if that's the right term, but minute movements of the knob seem to change the focus substantially. I prefer the knob of the Endeavor, which feels like it gives me more precise control. The knob has much more tension on the Endeavor, so perhaps that's what I'm feeling--it feels slower. The Endeavor is noticeably heavier than the Terra. The Endeavor is slightly longer and it does start to feel front heavy in comparison to the Terra, especially after prolonged use. The open bridge of the Endeavor helps to get a good grip, but that didn't make it feel any lighter. I really like the size and weight of the Terra in comparison to the Endeavor. It seemed like a small difference when I first started using them, but over the course of a a couple days I really stared to favor the Terra.

Conclusion?: After that first day I thought for sure I would keep the Endeavor. They are cheaper and, to my eyes, seemed optically superior. They weren't as comfortable for me to use, but they weren't uncomfortable. But the next day was overcast, so I thought I'd use them both again. Interestingly, the Endeavor and Terra seemed to be about the same in terms of brightness when the skies were overcast. Then, when looking at birds against a bright overcast sky, the Endeavor seemed more washed out and less sharp than the Terra. Colors were more saturated and there was better contrast with the Terra.

So, after a couple of days it seems that on bright, clear days the Endeavor performed better. While on overcast days the Terra performed better. I really could go either way and I'm leaning toward keeping the Terra because they were very close to the Endeavor on sunny days, whereas the Endeavor was not as close to the Terra on the overcast day. My girlfriend, who also tested out both binoculars seemed to notice more of a drop-off in performance with the Endeavor with overcast skies, though she preferred its handling to the Terra and thought it was much better than the Terra on the clear day. I think the solution might be to keep both. One for me and one for my girlfriend. Will update again.

Last edited:
souladdikt, thanks for the update. Did you get a chance to compare them with low lighting such as after sunset? which looks brighter or are they the same?

Update: I've been using the Endeavor and Terra for the past two days in my backyard. Interestingly, I thought the Endeavor was the clear winner (brighter and sharper) during the first day of use. The Terra was very close in terms of sharpness, but it just didn't seem as bright to my eyes. The sweet spot seemed about the same size on both binoculars. Color was also very close between the two, images were vivid and had good contrast.

On to handling: The focus knob on the Terra is very fast--I'm not sure if that's the right term, but minute movements of the knob seem to change the focus substantially. I prefer the knob of the Endeavor, which feels like it gives me more precise control. The knob has much more tension on the Endeavor, so perhaps that's what I'm feeling--it feels slower. The Endeavor is noticeably heavier than the Terra. The Endeavor is slightly longer and it does start to feel front heavy in comparison to the Terra, especially after prolonged use. The open bridge of the Endeavor helps to get a good grip, but that didn't make it feel any lighter. I really like the size and weight of the Terra in comparison to the Endeavor. It seemed like a small difference when I first started using them, but over the course of a a couple days I really stared to favor the Terra.

Conclusion?: After that first day I thought for sure I would keep the Endeavor. They are cheaper and, to my eyes, seemed optically superior. They weren't as comfortable for me to use, but they weren't uncomfortable. But the next day was overcast, so I thought I'd use them both again. Interestingly, the Endeavor and Terra seemed to be about the same in terms of brightness when the skies were overcast. Then, when looking at birds against a bright overcast sky, the Endeavor seemed more washed out and less sharp than the Terra. Colors were more saturated and there was better contrast with the Terra.

So, after a couple of days it seems that on bright, clear days the Endeavor was performed better. While on overcast days the Terra performed better. I really could go either way and I'm leaning toward keeping the Terra because they were very close to the Endeavor on sunny days, whereas the Endeavor was not as close to the Terra on the overcast day. My girlfriend, who was also tested out both binoculars seemed to notice more of a drop-off in performance with the Endeavor with overcast skies, though she preferred its handling to the Terra and thought it was much better than the Terra on the clear day. I think the solution might be to keep both. One for me and one for my girlfriend. Will update again.

Your girlfriend must be "fast" if she can keep up with the Terra's focuser. ;)

I was reading the discussion above and was surprised that no-one mentioned the fact that the Terra's focuser works at warp speed. If it's possible, it seems even faaaaaaaaaster than the Nikon 8x32 LX/HG, whose focuser went from close focus to infinity in less than half a turn.

I otherwise liked the Terra, nice WF, very ample sweet spot, nice colors, and though it's a closed bridge roof, and I prefer the open bridge type like the Endeavor ED, the body was chunky enough to hold steady, but the focuser is so "twitchy," I know I would never be able to get used to it.

Not sure why manufacturers are so obsessed with making super fast focusers. The Terra's focuser was designed to boldly go where no focuser has gone before - 0-300 yards in .5 seconds.

Call me Old Fashioned (but don't serve me one), I prefer slower (but not "pokey") focusers.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back