• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 8x32 Alpha's do you prefer? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
Which 8x32 Alphas do you all prefer based on your experiences with them as a total package. Considering ergonomics, build quality, focusing smoothness , balance, optics (FOV , DOF, resolution, CA, and all that other stuff) and supplied accessories. Pick one choice regardless of cost and then pick one for best value. Let's stay with just the "Top End" binoculars(No Monarch's or Vipers). Let's consider the Swarovski 8x32 EL, Leica Ultravid 8x32,Leica Ultravid HD 8x32, Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN, Zeiss FL 8x32, Nikon LX L 8x32, and the new Nikon EDG 8x32. If there is another one that should be in their choose it.
I have had three. The Swarovski EL 8x32, the Leica 8x32 BN and the Nikon 8x32 LX L and as a total package I prefer the Nikon's. They work for me better than the other two. Let's here your choices and why you like them the best.

Dennis

Last edited:
Hello Dennis,

I have had experiences with three 8x32 "alphas," as follows:
Zeiss 8x32 FL
Leica 8x32 BN
Nikon SE 8x32

The quality of the Zeiss's view, especially it colour rendition and center sharpness, makes it my first choice. The solid feel of the Leica puts it second. While I found the Nikon to be a great disappointment because of its blackouts. I should note that as a strong myope, my experience may differ from that of others. In fact, I found the Nikon EII 8x30, perhaps not an alpha but a contender, to be a far more usable glass, with its comfortable wide field of view as a great asset, offset by its lack of robust construction.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Interesting how blackouts are such a personal thing and vary from binocular to binocular. I had alot of blackouts on the Nikon 8x42 LX L but hardly any on the Nikon 8x32 LX L.

Dennis

Ditto on Tero's comment. If the 8x32 Meopta is as comparable to its Alpha counterparts as the 8x42 is to its then it would definitely be my first choice as best value.

As for the others, I cannot really say I have one "favorite". I would say that, optically, the FL is my favorite. Ergonomically the EL is my favorite. I enjoyed the Trinovid as well because of its relaxed image. I tried and did not like the original LX 8x32 as I found the focus too fast and there to be just a bit too much color fringing in the image. Other than that I did think it was very comparable to the other Alphas and would agree that it is a great value.

Interesting I like the fast focus on the Nikon I think it makes it quicker to get on the bird. The slight color fringing doesn't bother me that much but maybe I am not looking for it that hard. Is the Meopta 8x32 an HD lens or not?

Dennis

Here is a comment on the Meopta 8x32:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An associate for a well known optics retailer here in the States very recently offered me an opinion of the Meopta 8x32: Fantastic ergonomics, but less than stellar optics. According to the associate, the Pentax ED offers better optics for about the same money.

Of course, opinions can vary widely, however, I have often concurred with this particular retailer's opinions over the years.

I'll likely take a peek through the little Meoptas soon. It is, however, rather disappointing to learn that it is quite likely not up to expectation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, the 8x42 Meopta didn't show that great in the high-end binocular round-up by Better View Desired.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2008roundup/binoculars_high-end.html

Dennis

Had Nikon HGL (LXL) 8x32. Very comfortable view, beautiful focussing. Sold ´em....I found them a tad heavy and "clunky", and the view although relaxing and contrasty, wasn´t as sharp as my EL´s.

Now it´s down to EII 8x32 which I prefer for the stunning optics, or EL´s which are almost as good optically, but have the singular advantage of feeling like an extension of my own hand when I hold them.

Best value? Has to be the EII´s. They can still be had for 259 sterling from the UK.

On the whole subject of 8x32, I find myself drifting away a bit from them. With the small eye relief of most pairs, I find eye glass wearing does noe work that well, and in the long run, an idel pair for me might be 8.4x42, who knows what brand. Maybe I will go back and look at Swift once more.

So I might not spend the money even for the Meoptas should they fit otherwise.

Nice chart there
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2008roundup/chart_main.html
Bushnell Elite pretty good but no 8x32 offered.

The Bushnell Elite is an odd 42mm bin. At 23oz and a bit shorter barrel length (and thinner armor) it feels more like a large 32mm bin than a 42mm.

Nice view too. Not quite the ED/FL/HD view that the OP prefers but still very nice next to top view (seems to beat a Zeiss Victory 2 in my testing so "top bins" are a moving target!).

Last edited:
Considering the whole deal I'd take the Swarovski 8x32 EL. That is strictly based on ergonomics as I have sort of grown into liking the double hinge. The little EL just feels a tad bit better in my hand than anything else.

As to value, it's the Meopta Meostar 8x32, hands down, no competition, and the one I'd get, if I were to get a top end x32mm class glass based on the state of my experience as of today. The 8x32 does not have the yellowish hue/tint/bias whatever you wish to call it that the 42mm Meostar has. It seemed to me the image was pretty Leica like in appearance. Not quite as bright looking as the Zeiss FL, but maybe a tad brighter than the EL. I thought it had a better sharper, image than the Meopta 8x42 I looked at at in the same session.

While I like it for value and its image is not going to be at all easily seperated (by me anyway), it is the one of the litter that is the least ergonomically to my liking. I would put the hinge closer to the center and thus reduce the length of the long pointy diopter knob, which gives the appearnce of having every tendency to get in the way.

However, it is the only one of the group, which in my estimation (and mine alone) that even comes close to being worth the price asked for it.

Nikon SE and E II left out because I have zero experience (recent anyway) with them.

Last edited:
I like the Nikon's because they are a bit heavier and it seems it helps me hold them steadier easier. They seem to fit my hands nice. It's probably the contrast and comfortable view I like. I had a Swarovski EL 8x32 once at the same time I had a Zeiss FL 10x42. I had a "View Off" to see what one to keep and I decided I liked the Zeiss FL better. They were a tad sharper and brighter especially in the sweet spot. There is just something about Swarovski's I don't like. I think it is because my wife buy's so damn many of their crystals for her jewelry business that I have something against their binoculars! Anyway I moved on to Leica's and seem to like them better because of their solidity and build quality and great optics. I am pretty impressed with the little Nikon though. I like the smooth fast focus in contrast to the Leica's kind of rough focus. Nice eyecups on the Nikon too. Very smooth. i would like to try the Zeiss FL 8x32 but I do not think Sportman's warehouse has them and I don't know where else you could try them.

Dennis

Hello Dennis,

Sportsman Warehouse, L & M Firing Line and Gander Mountain, all in Aurora are listed as Zeiss dealers; as well as Bass Pro in Denver and S & S Optika in Englewood. A 'phone call would let you know what they have on display.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Dennis,

I've looked at Zeizz 8x32 FL's @ 3 different Sportsman's Warehouse stores. I have also seen them at a Cabela's store. I think there's a Cabela's near Denver (maybe they are in the process of building). Both SW and Cabela's have the best biocular selection I've been in. Some SW do have better inventory than others.

Dennis,

I cannot really disagree with the comments on the 8x32 Meopta as I have yet to handle them. I hope to remedy that shortly.

I do have to disagree with Michael and Diane Porter's ranking of binoculars though. I am not entirely sure what they were giving more weight to in terms of overall characteristics but, in my opinion, putting the Bushnell Elite above several of the others, including the Meopta was a slap in the face of their credibility. It is a nice binocular overall and probably the prettiest binocular I have ever seen but I have owned/handled most of the ones listed below it on the chart and would rate most of them above it from an optical perspective. If they value handling/physical weight over optical performance then I can understand the Elite placement a bit better but still.....

Steve's comments about the optical performance of the 32 mm Meopta have me intrigued. I wonder how much they tweeked the coatings/glass on the 32 mm model. If I had any "complaints" about the 42 mm Meostar in terms of being a totally perfect binocular optically then it would be because of the slightly warm color bias and/or the slight level of color fringing. Still, the optical performance reminds me very much of the original 8x42 mm Venturer because of the field flatener element and the bins' edge sharpness.

All being equal, I would find it hard to choose between the Swaro EL and Ultravid. For me, EL had the clearest view but I prefer the ergonomics of the Ultravid. Ultimately I got an excellent price on the Ultravid's which saved me a difficult decision.

All being equal, I would find it hard to choose between the Swaro EL and Ultravid. For me, EL had the clearest view but I prefer the ergonomics of the Ultravid. Ultimately I got an excellent price on the Ultravid's which saved me a difficult decision.

I had a Swarovski EL 8x32 a couple of years ago and I didn't like it that much because it had a slight yellowish cast to the view and I didn't think it was that bright. Maybe it had the older coatings though. The ergonomics were just not my cup of tea either although many people like them.

Dennis

The ergonomics were just not my cup of tea either although many people like them.

I am surprised to hear you and the previous poster both comment in this regard. Personally I thought the 32 mm EL had the nicest ergos of any binocular I have owned. I do agree that it could be a touch brighter but for a 32 mm alpha glass I did not think it was too bad in this regard.

I am surprised to hear you and the previous poster both comment in this regard. Personally I thought the 32 mm EL had the nicest ergos of any binocular I have owned. I do agree that it could be a touch brighter but for a 32 mm alpha glass I did not think it was too bad in this regard.

It was the compactness that was the key to me Frank.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back