• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

alpen teton's ? (1 Viewer)

frodo#1

Hello I am new to this fourm and to birding. I am looking to buy a new pair of binoculars i have been looking at leupold olympic and nikon monarch's. I have been leaning toward the leupold. BUT just recently i went to a benifit and won a coupon for 60% off msrp on a pair of alpen teton 8.5 x 50's . I have never heard of this brand . the msrp is $900 and i found them on the web for around $600. I would still have to pay $350 for these and this is about the same price as the leupold's . I would like your opinion on the teton's are they as good or better than the leupold's . There isn't a store around here to compare these and i don't have a lot of money so this is a very large investment for me and i would like to make the best choice. Thank you for your advice.

Buy either the Leupold Olympic you have looked at or, better yet, get a Leupold Pinnacles - which can be had at eagleoptics.com for $380.

There is nothing in the Alpen line worth owning.

Lucznik, Seeing how most of these binoculars, Leupold, etc. are rebranded , why would you say that about Alpen line? Just wondering.
Regards,Steve

Because although each binocular is indeed rebranded as you indicate, each company (Leupold, Alpen, Vortex, etc.) buying from the actual optics manufacturers has the ability to control some of the aspects of that manufacturing process such as, level of multicoating, whether or not to include phase coatings, type and style of armoring, and even some control over the what degree/level of quality control standards are deemed acceptable.

My experience with Leupold is that their quality control standards for their Green Ring WindRiver binoculars tends to be higher than that of other brands like Alpen, Carson, etc. I have handled a few of Alpen's products and even a cursory examination showed that they were built to very poor standards. Maybe I just got to look at some very poor examples of their product line but, it was enough for me to decide to avoid them.

thanks

Thank you for the advice i will proably buy the pinnicales i am going to the optics store tonight and try them out . i wasn't looking at these befor because they list at over 500. I think the store will match the price at eagle optics other wise i'll have to order them anyway thanks again for the advice

Thanks Armand for your reply. I have a small pair of reverse porro 8x25 Alpen that we bought for my boy and the optics are not bad at all.The place where I bought this Alpen only had this series there. I just tried this small binocular again and I did notice that I can hardly read where it says 8x25 , the small writing has worn off in places. I think Outdoor Life thought that this small Alpen was a good buy for the price. I think I would stay with Leupold myself.
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back