• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a song thrush? (1 Viewer)

I have three of these visiting, parents and a young one. One of the adults is especially bold and comes right up to me for food when I appear with it. He/she didn't mind posing for photos at all. I thought song thrush, then mistle thrush, then song thrush again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 68
Hi MBW.

Osprey is quite correct in his ID, so something else is going on with the fighting.

To upload more images, just make sure your've re-sized them to around 900px on the longest side. If you need more help with uploading, please don't be afraid to ask.

Well they're confident little beggars whatever they are. I'm trying not to sulk about them not being thrushes, haha! Thanks for the uploading advice, I'm on an ipad and have downloaded a programme which helpfully does it for me.

LOL No, this one is a juvenile.

Sorry, missed the earlier one - that looks like the female with a mouthful ready to feed to one of the youngsters.

For comparison with your Blackbirds, you could look at this Opus page for Song Thrush. You will see that they are much, much lighter over all, and have very clearly defined arrow-shaped spots underneath.

They're a much less 'bulky' bird too. Hope this helps.

Oh well, they're pretty gorgeous even if they're not song thrushes! I made this mistake last summer too..you'd think I would have learned. One of them queues up waiting for me to come out and feed her, it's lovely.

LOL I think we all (well I do anyway) have species that we say is it this or that?!!

When you see a Song Thrush you will know it isn't a Blackbird!

Yes it's pretty obvious now you say it Delia! Thank you! They're lovely anyway. I think my super-friendly one is a male as I can see some much darker feathers emerging.

If you look after them they should have another brood (or two).

Try putting a dish with mealworms out for them... they'll love you for it.

I do put mealworms out and a peanutty suet recipe I make (kept in the fridge and only out in small quantities so it doesn't stick their beaks together) which has made me extremely popular with our feathered friends. I was handfeeding a robin until a couple of months ago when it just stopped coming....I hope s(he) is simply cavorting with her new man and making babies and that she hasn't been killed by a cat. I've yet to see a song thrush in the flesh but I really look forward to it when it does happen!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back