• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

Had an impromptu (no bins) afternoon stroll from the Horsey windmill, down to the beach and back on Thurs with a non-birding mate. Heard only YBW with a huge tit flock, 3 Wheatear, 8+ Chiffchaff, 7 Sanderling on the beach, 2 Stonechat, 3 Yellow Wagtail south and approx 700 Pinkfeet.

Best for me were 4 Common Crane which I've always missed before.

Most interesting given recent events were a comparatively meagre 38 Jays west (can't be sure there weren't repeats) but these included 2 that came in off the north sea over the heads of the basking seals.

Will

Planned to hit Cley this morning however decided on a short trip to Strumpshaw as I didn't want to miss the football. Six birds of prey: Osprey, Marsh Harrier, Buzzard, Barn Owl, Kestrel and Sparrowhawk within 45 minutes. Plenty of Bearded tit flocks moving across the far reed beds at fen hide. Otter showing at reception hide with the usual wildfowl. Small flocks of Redwing passing over.

Keen to get in on the Jay movement, I headed to Hunstanton this afternoon (before I knew of the amazing 668 figure - well done Andy!) and had an enjoyable watch 13.15-14.30hrs:

47 Jays (1, 7, 16, 4, 6, 6, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1), 3 Redwings, 2 Bramblings, 11 Chaffinches, 2 Skylarks, 3 Siskins and a Mistle Thrush south.

The Jays came through at varying heights, most just inland of the coast. Some groups were dropping into Hunstanton park for a few minutes before carrying on high south over the town.

Impressive Jay movements all round. I have seen them flying up the River Yare passing Strumpshaw this week too. Jays are usually more noticable at this time of the year here but these ones do appear to be flying strongly upriver rather than back and forth with acorns. an odd but very intersting movement!

I cant quite work the weather out for tomorrow, is it worth being in the doghouse and heading to the point or will it be quiet and Monday be the day of proper movement? at first glance the winds and pressure look good, albeit light. Could be quite an arrival from the continent? or am I just trying too hard to make excuses to go out. thoughts?

Nothing to crow about ? & King of the road ?

Gramboro’ seemed to have stolen 2 of the 21,000 Blue Tits from last weekend over Falsterbo. There was also a Goldcrest, which I thought I’d heard yesterday.

Most strange, though, was the low row from the Crow below. It uttered a quiet eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh, interspersed with the occasional and more normal cawing. This, it did about a half dozen times. Never heard the like and, before I’d located the source of the call, I thought I’d got something really good.

Hours spent strolling in a haphazard way around Wells Woods produced about 10 Chiffies, more Wrens than last week, more Jays, more Squirrels (perhaps they’re ship-assisted, landing at Wells Quay) and a flock of 25-30 Siskin. The Small Copper below flaunted itself in the Dell Meadow. Another, much more faded (like I was getting), disappeared immediately after being seen.

10 Jays floated silently along the hedge line at Warham Greens; then spoiled the effect, by giving some raucous shrieks.

All this fuss about some flycatcher way to the west of here reminded me of Kenn Kaufman’s eminently readable account of his Big Year, “Kingbird Highway”. It probably cost me less (around £300) to see the bird below than some have spent on twitching an island halfway across the Atlantic. Cashing in air-miles, I obtained 1st/business class berths both ways to and from Houston, TX, starting and finishing at our lovely little Norwich Airport.

Attachments

• 025pse.jpg
    025pse.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 008pse.jpg
    008pse.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 072pse.jpg
    072pse.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 250psesmall.jpg
    250psesmall.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Hi Dawn - counts made at Hunstanton most days from late Sept until migration peters out in Nov and same again in spring. Counts put in full on trektellen.nl each day (or as soon as we get round to it). Lots of info from other vis mig sites here - as I'm sure you're aware. So far this autumn, we've had jays on one other day - a flock of 22 on Sept 30th. Not one yesterday !

The birds appeared low from the east all morning today, but early on, many were very high and appeared to come from the north - off the sea. After much to-ing and fro-ing between tress and after many changes in direction, they all eventually headed off south.

Anyone any more info on the 'possible' Blyth's Reed Warbler at Titchwell please? It wasn't written in the sightings book and none of the staff at Titchwell were informed. I would have thought the finder would have mentioned it to them....

Hi Dawn - counts made at Hunstanton most days from late Sept until migration peters out in Nov and same again in spring. Counts put in full on trektellen.nl each day (or as soon as we get round to it). Lots of info from other vis mig sites here - as I'm sure you're aware. So far this autumn, we've had jays on one other day - a flock of 22 on Sept 30th. Not one yesterday !

The birds appeared low from the east all morning today, but early on, many were very high and appeared to come from the north - off the sea. After much to-ing and fro-ing between tress and after many changes in direction, they all eventually headed off south.

Well done Andy with your Jay Extravaganza!!!:t: What an amazing count!!!:t:

Had a nice morning out at Titchwell - started with a really nice merlin which flushed from the road (between Docking and Chosely) and then flew in front of us down the road for about a quarter of a mile. Then at Titchwell we had great skua flying over the dunes and then a stonking peregrine going along the tide line. Stacks of gannets passing through and a couple of very obliging wheatear on the beach. Egret seemed very active today feeding right by the path on the brackish marsh. I failed to see the pied fly that was kicking about in the picnic area but I guess you can't see them all...

Here are a few from today and also a shot of the recent addition to my parents garden list.

Attachments

• littleegret_2284.jpg
    littleegret_2284.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 95
  • wheatear_1846.jpg
    wheatear_1846.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 102
  • greyplover_2189.jpg
    greyplover_2189.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 91
  • nuthatch_1570.jpg
    nuthatch_1570.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 98
  • curlew_2295.jpg
    curlew_2295.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 94
Went to Swanton Morley to have a look for the Osprey.
Didin't see it, but it seems 'it' has been around for a while: seen y'day by a fisherman, '2 or 3' over the last couple of weeks, with a definite sighting last Sunday, by a local birder.

However, I did note a dark juv Honey Buzzard (seen earlier by another birder) seemingly frequenting the area with 4 + Common Buzzard.
Also plenty of Jays around, something noted by the local fishermen, as being around in unusual numbers>

EDIT: Really sorry, it was Swanton Morley not Sparham!!

Last edited:

Thanks Andy, that's really interesting. We had 21 south at Wells on 23rd Sept, including a flock of 14. No more Jays than usual noted in the Brecks today, though a few Redwing through.

......I cant quite work the weather out for tomorrow, is it worth being in the doghouse and heading to the point or will it be quiet and Monday be the day of proper movement? at first glance the winds and pressure look good, albeit light. Could be quite an arrival from the continent? or am I just trying too hard to make excuses to go out. thoughts?
Go for it;):t: But I'm sure when we are all back at work on Monday there will be some megas!!! I am however hoping for something spectacular tomorrow!!!

Impressive Jay movements all round. I have seen them flying up the River Yare passing Strumpshaw this week too. Jays are usually more noticable at this time of the year here but these ones do appear to be flying strongly upriver rather than back and forth with acorns. an odd but very intersting movement!

I cant quite work the weather out for tomorrow, is it worth being in the doghouse and heading to the point or will it be quiet and Monday be the day of proper movement? at first glance the winds and pressure look good, albeit light. Could be quite an arrival from the continent? or am I just trying too hard to make excuses to go out. thoughts?

Light Northerlies forecast for tomorrow, sea might be half decent and perhaps a few birds from the east might trickle through. It's October, anything can happen! Sprosser, or am I too early to call that? Personally, I'll be on the east coast for the afternoon. If you're around Ben, let me know.
Yare Valley stuff today. Small movement of Skylark and Meadow Pipit at Surlingham and a possible Redstart over the river. My better half phoned me at half 9 to say she had just seen Pink-feet over the house.
Strumpshaw this evening was sublime. Geese flighting in with Teal and Gadwall, and against the night sky a Bittern emitted its curious cronk call during a few circles of the fen. Plenty of Bats, all Soprano Pip! It was rather cold, though.
Cheers,
Jim.

Anyone any more info on the 'possible' Blyth's Reed Warbler at Titchwell please? It wasn't written in the sightings book and none of the staff at Titchwell were informed. I would have thought the finder would have mentioned it to them....

Hi Penny

There has been a Reed Warbler sp around the willows on the meadow trail/Fen hide for over a week now but no-one has got decent views or a photo yet!

Sue

This hints at a central European origin for any immigrant Jays we're getting... in which case, little more chance of Nutcracker than normal I'm afraid (as most of population is further north) and no higher chance of Hawk Owl at all. Sorry!

Nick,
Slovakia (Central Europe and a long way south of The Netherlands) has a very healthy Nutcracker population... but if there was an irruption, my guess is that the birds would probably end up in mid-France, so your concluion stands!:t:
MJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back