• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pentax 8x32 wp (1 Viewer)

bennyy

Hi all,
Just a quick question about the Pentax 8x32, whats the difference between the 8x32 dcf sp and the 8x32 dcf wp ???
Any help appreciated
Benny

The WP was the eariler model and the first immersion proof pentax.

Mirror coating is the major viewing difference: aluminum in the WP and silver in the SP. This shows up in the view with the SP having the typical warmer silver bias and the WP a colder (blue) bias.

The eyepiece optics are redesigned in the SP with an aspherical element resulting in a slightly larger ocular lens so they might have fractionally better ER. Supposed to be flatter across the field but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.

Different eyecups.

Objective covers: tethered in the SP; not in the WP

Very similar appearance. Same size and weight.

The WP has been reviewed in a BF thread (by me).

Last edited:
This thread caused me to go back and review the previous threads here where the 8x32 WPs were commented upon. I found that the consensus was that their center field sharpness trumped both the newer SP and ED series bins. That perhaps the reduction in field curvature (not an issue for me with my WPs) by the aspherical len designs of the SP and ED was at a cost of overall reduced sharpness.

My review search also elicited some chuckles as I bought mine for $280 back in 2002 while many others scored them for a mere $50 in 2008. Talk about a bargain!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back