• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Savanna WP 8x30 or Oregon 4 PC Oasis 8x32 or Discovery WP PC 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Hi. I am considering the Savanna WP 8x30 or Oregon 4 PC Oasis 8x32 or Discovery WP PC 8x32. All three are about the same price. My main considerations are brightness of view (especially at a night/indoor concert) and sharpness. I read that in the same price range, a porro will almost always be brighter than a roof. The advantage of the Oregon and Discovery is a smaller size. Not sure if the 32 lenses on those models means that the brightness will be about the same as the Savanna? Any insight from someone who has looked through the Savanna and one or both of the other two is appreciated. Thanks

Hi David and welcome.

It depends how bright the indoor lighting is and how wide your eye pupils are in that light.

Opera glasses of 2.5x may be brighter than an 8x32 binocular.

With binoculars a 6x30 with a 5mm exit pupil may be better indoors.

A wide field might be useful.

It depends on the coatings how bright modern binoculars are.
I am not sure about the ones you mention, but fully multicoated would be best.
Porros are not necessarily brighter if the coatings are poor.

At a dimly lit concert your pupils may be 6mm wide.

At night your eyes may not be that sharp.

Regards,
B.

Thanks. I should have given a little more info. The venues are large arenas or stadiums, sitting far away from the stage. A 2.5 power would not help very much. If no one responds who has actually compared them, I might order 2, and then report back my impressions in case it could be useful for someone in the future.

The main thing is the amount of lighting.

An 8x42 might be better than an 8x32 if it isn't that bright.

Unless you are only looking at a very bright performance area.
Then 8x32 might be o.k.

Regards,
B.

Looking at the specs. one has an 8.1 degree field, the others 7.5 degrees.

The three seem to have good coatings.

I think it is necessary for you to test each one to see which is most suitable.

There is also sample variation, so several identical binoculars may have different quality, both mechanical and optical.

Regards,
B.

I have had both now for a few days. I suppose I discovered on my own what most of you already knew. I wanted to prefer the Oregon because it was smaller. But, the Savanna is brighter, clearer, and a little sharper than the Oregon. I used both in various lighting conditions, from daytime, to dusk, to night... indoors and out. Depending on what I was looking at, the Savanna was either just a little better, or very noticeably better. The Oregon view, for lack of a better description, was a little duller than the Savanna. Another thing I liked about the Savanna better is the main focusing wheel. It has a little more resistance than the Oregon, so I felt like I could make better fine tune focus adjustments. The Savanna does not come with objective lens caps that stay on, which I prefer to the supplied ones which clip on the neck strap, so I ordered some from Amazon.

The Oregon is obviously smaller, but for my use the size difference does not matter.
I also did not pay attention to the difference in the field of view, since that is also not a factor for me. The Savanna did not seem like I was looking through a narrow tunnel.

The Savanna was also slightly easier for me to use, meaning most of time I did not need to adjust the positioning very much at all. It seemed like I needed to do a little more adjusting with the Oregon. The Oregon seemed just a little more particular to eye placement than the Savanna.

BTW, I did look for some birds (considering what forum I am on :), but they have mostly left where I live this time of year.

If I wasn't comparing the Oregon to the Savanna, I probably would have thought that the Oregon was fine.

Anyway, after learning a lot on this forum, glad I could contribute back a tiny bit.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back