• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10X: Zeiss, Leica or What? (2 Viewers)

Good luck! Start with the medium distance birds, where the shaky hands don't matter so much. Work your way to longer distance.

Pinewood said:
Yesterday, I purchased the Zeiss FL 10x32 from Camaraland. One consequence was an evening 'phone call from my credit card's fraud prevention unit about such a large purchase.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Sounds as if you've found a winner there, Arthur! Good birding!

Arthur,

Are you yet in a position to compare this binocular with your 8x32Bn or 804 Audubon? I'm particularly interested in perceived color, of course.

I've used various 10x quite a lot and find that the body/brain eventually "learns" how to hold the binoculars to stabilize the image. It's a rather curious adaptation that I believe involves subtle (unconscious) experimentation with hand position, breathing, anticipation, and probably other factors. A shot of schnapps before and after birding aids the process.

ED

Ed,

Thank you for the encouragement. I have not compared it directly with any binoculars but this afternoon, I used it in conjunciton with the 7x42 Dialyt. I had a hard time deciding whether I was looking at a Louisiana or a northern waterthrush. The Fl showed nicely pink legs, which may mean I have a Louisiana for my life list.

My next excursion may be on Sunday. I like the Dialyt and FL combination but I may try it with something else.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Ed,

No schnapps, not even single malt, before noon, but I am getting used to the ten power. I think the color rendition is first rate, but I do not see greater gradations reported by a northern California correspondent.

Regarding the nearly edge to edge sharpnes, another poster at birdforum commented that the 32 mm. FL's seem to do better than the 42 mm. FL's. He thought that it might have something to do with the different prisms.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :egghead:

Some more experiences

Yesterday, I used the Fl with an 8x32 Leica BN. I did not perceive any great differences in color between the two, but the FL was useful when looking at a waterthrush at a good distance. However, it was the 8x32, which helped me locate a Baltimore oriole, high in a tree. I might have used the FL, but the oriole flew down and out of sight, shortly after locating the bird.
Today, I was out with the FL and the Dialyt. At more than 30 meters, the Dialyt showed an interesting bird but the FL was instrumental in determing that it was a male Eastern, or rufous sided, towhee. A stone wall conveniently helped me steady the FL, on this occasion.
In short, this binocular is doing what I expected it to do: provide me with a little extra reach when I need it, at little cost in bulk. There is no doubt that I am keeping it.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back