• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG, here it comes.. (1 Viewer)

How much difference are you finding. And is that on the current EDG, in the
USA?

In the US the current deal for $999 on the 8x32, from the internet retailers has to be
considered a great value. I have not seen where the 42's were ever discounted like that.

As you may know the 42mm size is all around better than a 32mm, and they must have sold better!!

Jerry[/QUOTE

The 32's originally cost about $1750.00. The 42's are currently selling for $2200.00 at Hawk Mountain. Camera Land has them listed at 1899.00. Eagle had them discounted for around $1499.00 if I remember correctly but they are gone now.
Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those close up pix. It appears as if another problem has been solved with the triangular extensions keeping the objective covers from falling off.

Do the covers stay put?

Brock

So that's what they are for. Looks like Nikon built them from stubs left over from the front bridge. Nice piece of salvage if that's what they are going to do with the new US version.

Bob

Last edited:
Just received demo unit for 8x42 EDG and not the 8x32 EDG. Leaving tomorrow for the Asian Bird Festival, this unit sure will be tested in full force hahaha :king:

By the way, the feeling on holding the EDG is nice hahahaha :p

"In the US the current deal for $999 on the 8x32, from the internet retailers has to be considered a great value. I have not seen where the 42's were ever discounted like that.

As you may know the 42mm size is all around better than a 32mm, and they must have sold better!!"

Great value is an understatement. A hundred dollar price difference between a 32 and 42 mm binocular is the norm in the high end binocular market. I don't know why anybody would pay hundreds of dollars more for a marginal improvement in image quality when the 32mm models are so much cheaper.

"In the US the current deal for $999 on the 8x32, from the internet retailers has to be considered a great value. I have not seen where the 42's were ever discounted like that.

As you may know the 42mm size is all around better than a 32mm, and they must have sold better!!"

Great value is an understatement. A hundred dollar price difference between a 32 and 42 mm binocular is the norm in the high end binocular market. I don't know why anybody would pay hundreds of dollars more for a marginal improvement in image quality when the 32mm models are so much cheaper.

Not only in image quality but for those who go out birding early in the morning and back late in the afternoon, 42mm gives the advantage here :king:

That's the reason why binocular makers makes different binoculars to suit different type of users.

"That's the reason why binocular makers makes different binoculars to suit different type of users."

I agree with you there, Horukuru, but the pricing difference is still huge, at least here in the U.S. And as far as I know, the only difference between the two models is that extra 10 millimeters of glass. Is the pricing the same in Borneo?

Same price here and rarely get discounted like in your place because demand for binoculars is low here and not many people considered birding as a hobby rather than special interest things to do like golfing. If cameras and lenses, it is very popular hahaha so that's the reason many bird photographers emerged nowadays than birdwatcher itself.

Only the discontinued North American version (2 hinges-front and back, open frame) of the Nikon EDG was on sale and only in North America. It will be replaced shortly by a single hinged version (like the European version I would guess) and the prices will be back to normal and will probably reflect the pricing differential between the 32s and 42s as they are in Europe.

It looks like Nikon is trying to get the North American open framed models off the market quickly.

The 32s were discounted about $750.00. The sold for 999.00. If my memory is correct, the 42s were discounted some what less. Eagle Optics was selling the 7 x 42 for 1349.00 I think. In both cases an entry level Nikon D3000 SLR camera kit was thrown in (by Nikon) for free. (Nikon also did this with EDG spotting scopes.)

Most seem to be gone by now. Eagle Optics has no EDG binoculars listed for sale now.

Camera Land still has the 32s listed for sale at 999.00 (with the camera). You can also get the camera deal with the 42s but they don't seem to be sale priced although still seem to be discounted somewhat. Prices go up from 1799.00 for the 7 x 42 to almost $2000.00 for the 10 x 42. But this is still 500.00 less than the 10 x 42 Swarovision.

Bob

Last edited:
No ghosting detected with Nikon EDG 8x42 for the last 5 days here :)

horukuru:

Good to here your report on the EDG, as a user of one for over a year, the
post on ghosting seems suspect. I have not seen any problems with the
10x42 EDG, and I think it competes with the highest level.

Please report back on what are the other opinions you have. ;)

Jerry

Hehehe I like the 4 stops on the eye cups plus the ergonomic is excellent especially the objective lens protector :)

Overall it is one of the best bino I tried on my eyes together with my 8x32 SE :)

Last edited:
Hehehe I like the 4 stops on the eyepiece plus the ergonomic is excellent especially the objective lens protector :)

Overall it is one of the best bino I tried on my eyes together with my 8x32 SE :)

Hmm..the objective lens protector is the only thing I really can complain about on my EDG 8x42. The left cover falls off too easily! The binocular also shows some CA and have a little red bias (but nothing compared to the Nikon 8x32 SE). But that is not a big deal, because all the binoculars I've ever looked through have shown some chromatic aberration and not been completely color-neutral. Otherwise the EDG 8x42 is a perfect binocular - for me at least. I echo what you wrote Horukuru..overall it is one of the best binoculars I have ever tried!

Soon (maybe tomorrow) I will also have a Swarovski SLC 8X42 HD in my hands - it may be interesting to compare it with the Nikon EDG 8x42, I think.. :)

Hmm..the objective lens protector is the only thing I really can complain about on my EDG 8x42. The left cover falls off too easily! The binocular also shows some CA and have a little red bias (but nothing compared to the Nikon 8x32 SE). But that is not a big deal, because all the binoculars I've ever looked through have shown some chromatic aberration and not been completely color-neutral. Otherwise the EDG 8x42 is a perfect binocular - for me at least. I echo what you wrote Horukuru..overall it is one of the best binoculars I have ever tried!

Soon (maybe tomorrow) I will also have a Swarovski SLC 8X42 HD in my hands - it may be interesting to compare it with the Nikon EDG 8x42, I think.. :)

Let us know how it compares with the Swarovski.

Have you tried the Nikon 8x30 EII yet?

Not yet hope during the coming Borneo Bird Festival next month ;)

o.0 strange because the colour looks natural on me and other birders who tried it too says the same things :king:

And yes I do noticed CA on certain situation but not as bad as my HG L and the rolling ball effect, I didn't noticed that one too

Not yet hope during the coming Borneo Bird Festival next month ;)

o.0 strange because the colour looks natural on me and other birders who tried it too says the same things :king:

And yes I do noticed CA on certain situation but not as bad as my HG L and the rolling ball effect, I didn't noticed that one too

Color looks natural to me too, but many people say it is biased toward the red end of the spectrum. Kimmo noted that in his reviews.
Bob

The colour is as natural a colour can be in a binocular, I think. You need to be very picky to see the red bias. So..if someone ask me if the EDG 8x42 is colour natural..I would say YES! |=)|

CA is much much more prominent in the HGL than in the EDG. Like you said, CA is most noticeable in certain situations. And I have not seen any ghosting or rolling ball effect in my EDG 8x42 either. Flare is very very low and the focus wheel is incredible smooth.

I doubt that the Swarovski will get more total points than the EDG in my little subjective test of 20 different properties. The Swarovski would need to get the highest score in each individual property and thus be better than the Nikon in terms of CA.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back