• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What was your best bird today! (1 Viewer)

My best bird today has to be the plucky, inquisitive Robin who came to see what I was doing in my back garden. I was cutting the grass with a very noisy hover mower, as loud almost as a motorbike, yet the little Robin was quite unperturbed, standing on a rock in my border about five feet away, head on one side, following my every move. What is it that makes these little birds so fearless? True grit... or maybe just poor hearing!

although i saw today a lifer which is a sandgrouse, not sure which specie, but my best bird for today is the little green bee-eater, it seems that the young ones of the pair i use to watch in a desert patch between buildings in the college where i work, they should be about three of them and they are so active and not camera shy at all as a matter of fact they would come to where i was so close.

i got like hundred shots and a closeup video for one of them, the parents where also around and active.

April 30th, my best bird was the "rare for Missouri" Eurasian Wigeon! * This will probably be my best bird for all of 2011. Attached is a photo of the bird I saw taken by Doug Willis, a fellow Missouri birder! (The photo is from his photos on "flickr".) Here

May 2nd, Blackburnian Warbler, Northwest Parkway hiking/biking trail, Saint Joseph, Missouri. * Arguably, our "showiest" warbler!

Attachments

• EUWI by Doug Willis.jpg
    EUWI by Doug Willis.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 29
I have not been out today but yesterday I think it has to be the Whitethroat first I had ever seen

They are super little warblers and I really like their scratchy little song. Not sure about where you are in London but here in Essex I remember that after I saw them for the first time I suddenly found them everywhere! They can be incredibly numerous and when I've been to Two Tree Island on the Thames Estuary it's packed with them at this time of year. :t:

My best bird today has to be the plucky, inquisitive Robin who came to see what I was doing in my back garden. I was cutting the grass with a very noisy hover mower, as loud almost as a motorbike, yet the little Robin was quite unperturbed, standing on a rock in my border about five feet away, head on one side, following my every move. What is it that makes these little birds so fearless? True grit... or maybe just poor hearing!

They really can be astonishingly bold at times, especially if they get used to you. I used to have one that would come into my kitchen to remind me if I didn't put out food for her (pretty sure it was a female) and when I sat in the garden with my laptop she flew over and perched on the top of the screen!

Last edited:
I had never seen a Northern Flicker before today. (New to birding)

I took the camera down to the kids bus stop this morning and saw a ruckus in the trees. Two largish birds far up and away. Couldn't make it out until I got the photos on the computer. I thought at the time it might have been a pair of small hawks.

Having never thought about northern flickers when I first looked at it I thought "what strange coloring on that red-bellied woodpecker" but I looked it up and discovered it was a flicker. It's interesting how similar they look though different coloring.

One photo came out well focused. I added the other because it was a pair.

Attachments

• IMG_1577a.jpg
    IMG_1577a.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1578a.jpg
    IMG_1578a.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 74
I saw a pileated woodpecker flying through my woods and across to the neighbors land. It is a fast bird. At least compared with, say a crow, it's very fast and agile. It's speed reminded me more of a duck but banking around and between trees. Very cool to see.

I don't know it it was the male I've been seeing or the female. I assume there is a female or at least hope there is.

Either one's been banging and pounding all day in the woods in back of the neighbor.

A summer plumage Black Necked Grebe for me. I found him last Saturday and he was still around today.....

Attachments

• Blacked Neck Grebe 2 F.jpg
    Blacked Neck Grebe 2 F.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 31
My best bird today was a single Ruddy Turnstone.

I do not get this species every year here in Missouri. I did see the species in Missouri in 2008, 2005, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1995 and in 1994. So you see, it is kind of special for me to see this bird in Missouri!

OK it been a while for me not visiting this lovely thread, very busy at work. but here is a four day "best bird".

on Monday it was the Ortolan bunting. caught him on the Bogenvilla where the weaver do his nest and i usually put peanut butter, wonder how long he is around my region, last year was around a week, but always on the ground and hiding between think bushes. was he after the peanut butter also. it is the favorite for all my garden bird, but he is the first visitor i suspect of eating from.

Tuesday, was the little green bee-eater, looks like the three young ones came out of the hole for the first time, they seem to be everywhere in the college region.

Wednesday, it was a great shrike day, saw four n types, three migrating the lesser gray, the woodchat and a very shy female masked shrike which i was after since three days, got some not bad but from far shots of the resident great gray shrike.
i would consider the best of them the lesser gray shrike as it was so bold and posed fro me in several ways.

Thersday, althought my off day but i had to work, but efroe i go i filled the water pool for birds to cool at noon, and immideatly a couple of black caps, which are around the garden for now three weeks came even before i get inside the house, and also another mystry one that was a bit resistant to get down and join the pair, but when i got inside, it came and it was a fabulous garden warbler, spend quite some time watching it taking a bath and playing with here two Sylvia cousins.

thanks Larry so much for starting this thread.

I had a tie for my best bird of the day. Had been gone from home for almost a week and first day back saw a Mississippi Kite soaring above my house and two male Painted Buntings at my feeders, both of which spend their summers here north of Fort Worth, Tx and returned to area from Winter range while I was gone.

Although, the species below is common down in southern Missouri it is not often seen here in the northwest part of the state, which is where I live (Saint Joseph). I saw this bird while guiding a couple of birding friends along the northwest bike/hike trail in the north part of Saint Joseph.

Yellow-throated Warbler

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back