• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas Frigate Bird or just a Lesser (Thailand) (1 Viewer)

steenl

Registered Member
Hi there,

Two weeks ago I was on Koh Phi Phi Island in South-Thailand.
I went in the afternoon to the roosting place of the Frigatebirds.
Lot of Lessers around. Around 700-800 of them.
Unfortanely no adult Christmas Frigatebird. One bird was bigger than the others. (or seems to be bigger. you're in a tiny boat at sea. ;))
I thought this bird was a Christmas Frigate bird. A juvenile.
Back on the Island i read that juvenile Christmas and juvenile Lesser are identical. But sizes is the difference.
What are your opinion of the bird?
Does juvenile Lesser Frigatebird always have black mottling on the belly? This individual has a clean belly. So Christmas it is? :-O

Thanks again.
Greetings.

The next day i saw one adult male Christmas Frigatebird on the way back to Phuket. No photos.

Lennaert Steen from the Netherlands.

Attachments

• Frigate bird 800.JPG
    Frigate bird 800.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Frigatebird 2.jpg
    Frigatebird 2.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Frigate bird 3 800.JPG
    Frigate bird 3 800.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
The extent of the white "spur" on the underwing of the juveniles makes them Lessers IMO. The mottling on the belly can be rather hard to see in many cases.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back