• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID this small bird - WA, USA (1 Viewer)

agreach2

United States
Hi there. We recently moved to southwestern WA and put up a bird feeder and love spotting the new birds in this area. My wife and I can't seem to agree on what bird this is. We have seen multiple dark-eyed junco and then this one came. It's slightly bigger than the juncos. It is fairly dark on top, brown/gray.
I think what's throwing us off is the spotting on the breast/belly. It doesn't seem like a juvenile junko because of it's size, but from the references I've looked at adult dark-eye juncos don't generally have spotting like that. We are thinking either a variation of dark-eyed junco, fox sparrow, or maybe hermit thrush.
It likes to stay on the ground a lot and dig around, and eat from the feeder.

IMG_8769.jpeg
IMG_8771.jpegIMG_8775.jpeg

What do you all think? Dark-Eyed Junco ? Fox Sparrow ? or Hermit Thrush ?

Thanks in advance for any help for this beginner :)

Fox sparrow! Thank you so much for your reply. Is it a female? I guess a lot of the pictures I've seen in my books/online show them more colorful, especially on top but I guess this is a darker/browner variant.

Thank you :)

Fox sparrow! Thank you so much for your reply. Is it a female? I guess a lot of the pictures I've seen in my books/online show them more colorful, especially on top but I guess this is a darker/browner variant.

Thank you :)

I think it's a Sooty Fox Sparrow

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back