Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Tuesday 24th December 2013, 23:00   #22051
Penny Clarke

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE ON THE NORFOLK THREAD!

Best Wishes
Penny
Old Wednesday 25th December 2013, 07:50   #22052
Reader

Merry Christmas Penny and to all on Birdforum. I also hope that everyone has a fabulous bird filled New Year.

John
Old Wednesday 25th December 2013, 09:51   #22053
Locostella
Registered Member

Merry Christmas everyone.
Old Wednesday 25th December 2013, 11:37   #22054
Songkhran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locostella View Post
Just back from a successful litter pick at Kelling. We managed 7 full refuse sacks of rubbish. Everything from Mars Bar, Nescafe, Maxwell House and Walkers were noted on the resident front as well as a vagrant Goud Appel carton, nice!

Other items of note included an Orange toilet seat; I mean come on, makes that dreadful Avocado colour look like Pearl White. Oh, and a Elizabeth George (novelist who's works were the bases of BBC's The Inspector Lynley Mysteries) novel, which Moss Taylor tells me was sticking very close to the Orange toilet seat for a prolonged period. Presumably a Desert Warbler - Desert Wheatear relationship never noted in washeduponabeachology.

Many thanks to Moss Taylor also, who was down there picking up masses of trash too and for him taking a load of our bags in his van to the tip. Much appreciated.

Also, I would like to send my thoughts out to the family of Cameron Bespolka. The young British birder who was killed in Austria this Tuesday. I am aware people die before their time all over this planet, but you seem to reflect that bit more when it is someone from our own community. Makes all the shit we give each other through this hobby seem very pathetic indeed.

Look after each other, look after your planet and enjoy your birds, guys.

Much love,

Kieran xxx
Yizers wheres my Thai like button gawdarnit,
Lovely action, I can still see those light boxes rusting in the shallows of the North sea
very well said Coastgropper

Last edited by Songkhran : Thursday 26th December 2013 at 11:35. Reason: Grammer
Old Wednesday 25th December 2013, 11:41   #22055
Songkhran

Merry Christmas everyone and a happy Songkhran
Old Friday 27th December 2013, 12:39   #22056
Locostella
Registered Member

Hey guys,

Just a quick one. Wondering if anyone is going down to Portland for the Brunni this weekend and would like to cut their fuel cost. If so, please inbox me. Cheers.

Hope you all had a nice Christmas.

Kieran
Old Saturday 28th December 2013, 16:14   #22057
Alan on the beach

Lovely sunset over Titchwell. 16+ Avocet on fresh marsh, Golden Plover flock, 2+ Pintail, 6+ Marsh Harriers in to roost near the dead trees - we were pleased to see them after the reports of some roost areas being abandoned following inundation during the recent tidal surge.

- Alan
Old Saturday 28th December 2013, 16:50   #22058
Stephen West
CambsBirding

Avoiding the crowds at Portland, I headed for Edgefield tip where the Glauc was on view-albeit asleep most of the time :(

The Richards Pipit at Kelling was tricky for a start, but gave itself up in the end...One Lapland Bunting also here-flew over calling.

Lastly, one Med Gull at Titchwell was the best I could get from the freshmarsh. One Great Northern Diver on the sea also.

Really need a Brünnich's in Norfolk now
Old Saturday 28th December 2013, 22:38   #22059
Penny Clarke

Walked out to Blakeney Point today to find an Ivory Gull, shingle now worse than before, ankle deep in places No birds of note though!

Full update on blog.

Penny
Old Sunday 29th December 2013, 15:23   #22060
tootsietim
Tim Rollins

Buckenham Marshes

Had a very pleasant walk from Strumpshaw, along to Buckenham station and down to the river today with my daughter.
Was able to show her a Pair of Bullfinches up close with the morning sun on them, and then we found a pair of wings, from a freshly predated Golden Plover, on the verge below an Oak. The notches in the breastbone suggested that this was the work of a Peregrine, and it was very fresh, probably this morning. We then carried on down to the river to see the lapwings, widgeon etc and were treated to a fly through from a peregrine, right past the new hide, which sent the duck into a great wheeling mass of birds. A single snipe flying high and fast was the last highlight of a very enjoyable walk.
Old Sunday 29th December 2013, 21:41   #22061
sacha

Richard's Pipit at Kelling looked settled in for the winter.
It is mobile but with patience can give good views. I saw it today about 4 times in flight (calling regularly) and on the deck along the grass path leading up the hill to the edge of Muckelburgh tank area.
Plenty of Red T Divers on sea and a very Common Guillemot.
Can someone please find a nice Brunnich's in Norfolk. Portland is outside of my twitching radius nowadays
:)
Old Monday 30th December 2013, 19:20   #22062
petehasset

Has anyone come across any Redpoles or Siskins outside the Brecks this winter .
Old Monday 30th December 2013, 19:32   #22063
Penny Clarke

Nice day at Titchwell RSPB yesterday with a good selection of birds. Shocking how much the dunes have disappeared!!!

Full update on blog.

Penny
Old Tuesday 31st December 2013, 09:11   #22064
gordon hamlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehasset View Post
A reasonable number of siskins at Sculthorpe, but only a few redpolls, including one possible mealy which flew off before I could clinch its ID.

Cheers

Gordon
Old Tuesday 31st December 2013, 11:10   #22065
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehasset View Post
Hi Pete,
Whilst I do pick up both Redpoll and Siskin on regular visits to Surlingham church marsh and Wheatfen, neither species are numerous this winter and good views of Siskin in particular hard to achieve! Wheatfen was excellent for both last winter, anywhere around Surlingham wood or groups of Alders out on the fen held good numbers.
Not sure about Strumpshaw, but I recall a recent RSPB blog post in which a single Mealy was reported with Lessers.

I would pose a similar question with regard to Brambling. Just 2 for me this winter,.both at Wheatfen. How are others getting on with these?

Cheers,
Jim.
Old Tuesday 31st December 2013, 13:22   #22066
harrier1234

Sculthorpe Moor Reserve

Visited today for the first time. What an enjoyable reserve with well maintained boardwalks. Plenty to see with highlights being Brambling, Siskin, and the Marsh Tits. All the expected woodland birds seen. Certainly will be visiting again.
Old Tuesday 31st December 2013, 15:00   #22067
ben_lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Hi Pete,

Not sure about Strumpshaw, but I recall a recent RSPB blog post in which a single Mealy was reported with Lessers.

I would pose a similar question with regard to Brambling. Just 2 for me this winter,.both at Wheatfen. How are others getting on with these?

Cheers,
Jim.
Hi Jim/Pete

At least 1 (probably 2) Mealy Redpolls have been at Strumpshaw this winter, first seen on 10th November, I saw another 'good' one in early December with the Goldfinch flock (60+) and 5-8 lesser redpolls. To be honest I think they probably are both still kicking about but I have not had decent enough views in the past couple of weeks to confirm. Lesser Redpolls (5-15) are guaranteed at Strumpshaw between the reception and Fen Hide (seen/heard every time I have walked passed in the last 2 months)

As far as Bramblings go I agree that away from the Brecks their numbers appear to be down on last year. Again Strumpshaw has a regular 1-2 at the feeders at the moment and earlier in the autumn quite a few overhead but less than last year. My garden held good numbers of brambling last year and have yet to see one in the garden this winter.

My Patchwork Challenge total for this year has finished on 160 species in the North Mid Yare Valley- (Strumpshaw, Buckenham and Cantley). Not bad at all for an inland site, especially considering I had no BB rares at all :( (missed a couple though!)
This figure beats my previous best year by a clear 11 species, its been great having this challenge and has got me out and about more than usual as well as added some unexpected species to my Mid Yare list, I highly recommend patchers to join in with a bit of healthy competition and banter, its not too late to join 2014.

Happy New year everyone!

Last edited by ben_lewis : Tuesday 31st December 2013 at 15:04.
Old Tuesday 31st December 2013, 17:08   #22068
Stratton Birder

What an excellent and informative run of posts on this thread to bring 2013 to a close. Made great reading Hope 2014 starts off in such a manner, what with everyone gearing up for tomorrow and the year ahead. Certainly, I'm one of them.

I wish all the wardens / staff / volunteers of our lovely nature reserves in North Norfolk all the best for next year, because of all people, they have some big jobs and decisions to undertake regarding our decimated coastline - a coastline which was only there in the first place because of their tireless dedication to protecting what little precious habitat we have left. Many thanks for what you have done and for what you will do.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone and roll on 2014!!
Old Tuesday 31st December 2013, 20:21   #22069
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratton Birder View Post
What an excellent and informative run of posts on this thread to bring 2013 to a close. Made great reading Hope 2014 starts off in such a manner, what with everyone gearing up for tomorrow and the year ahead. Certainly, I'm one of them.

I wish all the wardens / staff / volunteers of our lovely nature reserves in North Norfolk all the best for next year, because of all people, they have some big jobs and decisions to undertake regarding our decimated coastline - a coastline which was only there in the first place because of their tireless dedication to protecting what little precious habitat we have left. Many thanks for what you have done and for what you will do.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone and roll on 2014!!
Lovely post
Old Tuesday 31st December 2013, 20:47   #22070
upstarts1979

Happy New Year to all in Norfolk

Here is a bit of a sado's statistic

In the whole of 2013 Norfolk had 819,510 hits on Bird Forum
we at Upton WARREN IN WORCESTERSHIRE had 818,781 hits, not bad coming second to the best birding county in the UK John Belsey warden at Upton warren.
Old Tuesday 31st December 2013, 20:57   #22071
djay

Just returned from a weekend in Norfolk. We were staying at Salthouse. it was sad to see how much the sea has ravaged the coast. Had another Brilliant weekend. Happy New Year to all the Norfolk birders. We meet so many lovely people there and love visiting to see the birds. Good birding to all in 2014.
Old Tuesday 31st December 2013, 23:46   #22072
Penny Clarke

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Bird Race Begins!

Also watch this brilliant video by GryCrakes: HERE

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Tuesday 31st December 2013 at 23:53.
Old Wednesday 1st January 2014, 05:12   #22073
Stratton Birder

Thanks Penny

Unless any new year revellers hallucinated churring Nightjars over Norwich city centre or calling Cuckoos in their kitchens, I hereby claim the first Norfolk bird record of the year.

Species - Robin
Time - 0548
Location - singing in my garden

Hope everyone gets some good birding in before the rain hits.

Steve
Old Wednesday 1st January 2014, 08:02   #22074
Songkhran

Hey Jude, teaching me whisperings of the blag

REEVEaller noting two mewing Osprey and Peregrinator, sunbirdZZZ

reckon I saw a Robin too, pretty mega round these 'ere parts

I want to turn over stones looking for scorpions but POM KLUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP0JpmquU0A

I'm a P, your a P. we all P
Clack at the Sun - the Return of Non-bins Birding
http://www.weebly.com/weebly/main.php

Last edited by Songkhran : Wednesday 1st January 2014 at 10:55.
Old Wednesday 1st January 2014, 10:12   #22075
Songkhran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratton Birder View Post
Thanks Penny

Unless any new year revellers hallucinated churring Nightjars over Norwich city centre or calling Cuckoos in their kitchens, I hereby claim the first Norfolk bird record of the year.

Species - Robin
Time - 0548
Location - singing in my garden

Hope everyone gets some good birding in before the rain hits.

Steve
me bruvver, i'm on tempterhooks, what d'you bring home today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvwZR4S513k
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: