• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Lenses (1 Viewer)

It's a superzoom for the FX sensor cameras. A little too short for bird photography (especially with a full frame sensor).

It's a superzoom for the FX sensor cameras. A little too short for bird photography (especially with a full frame sensor).

It is a little too short, but it can be used with a DX body too.
I tend to use my 300mm prime without a TC nowadays but I do have another lens that serves as my long reach lens.
At the price I think this is a lens I would like to have as my general purpose lens which could be used for wildlife too.
Won't take a TC though !

It is a little too short, but it can be used with a DX body too.
I tend to use my 300mm prime without a TC nowadays but I do have another lens that serves as my long reach lens.
At the price I think this is a lens I would like to have as my general purpose lens which could be used for wildlife too.
Won't take a TC though !

That does look like a nice lens. One thing to note (sorry if I'm going over stuff everyone already knows) about superzooms such as this one is that at shorter distances, their focal lengths at the telephoto end are much shorter than the stated distance, such that this 28-300mm will more likely be somewhere around ~220mm. The Tamron 18-270mm that I use, for example, is effectively a 180mm at closer distances, and was noticeably wider when I compared it side-by-side with a 70-300mm at about a 3m distance. Thus, a 300mm prime at closer distances will be a good bit longer than the 28-300mm; at longer distances they'll be the same. Depending on what you use it for, that may or may not be a factor.

Wow it seems Nikon are copying Canon now! Seeing as how Canon have had an identical spec lens in the market place for quite some time. But the pricing of the Nikon is going to make it a very competitive lens and a popular seller I'm sure. That is so long as it can maintain decent image quality throughout it's zoom range which is always the drawback of these lenses and the price tag may be an indicator there. Jury's still out on this one in my book.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back