• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the difference ? (1 Viewer)

shrek48

I am usually confused at the difference in prices of what seems to be the same lens. I know vr is vibration reduction, and I know pf is the new 500 prime..
I know ED is the glass ( I think) F is the stop rating, but the D and SWM confuse me and I cannot find it on the net.
But what is the D in "f4 D"

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4 D ED SWM AF vs NIKON AF-S NIKKOR 500MM F5.6 PF ED VR LENS

TIA

This site covers all the various letter abbreviations used on Nikon lenses.

https://expertphotography.com/nikon-lens-abbreviations/

To answer your specific query:

D – These lenses send distance related information (subject to lens) to the camera.

SWM – Silent Wave Motor. This motor is found in the AF-I and AF-S lenses. This allows the lens focus mechanism to operate at high-speeds while being ultra-quiet.

Malcolm

Presumably because it's older technology. Also, I think that the new lightweight lenses incorporating a phase fresnel (which is where the PF comes from) element are more expensive to make. For example, the 300 f4 PF is much more expensive than the older non-PF 300 f4.

Malcolm

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back