• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdscope article: Birding on a Budget (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

An excellent beginner orientated article which summarizes very accurately all the stuff we rabbit on about: porros are still good; lower magnification is better at the cheap end;

I'd point any new birder/optics buyer to this article.

Discipline yourself to never even look at binoculars that cost more than the maximum amount you can comfortably spend. [...] Never buy binoculars that you can’t afford to replace if they’re lost or stolen, and never buy from a company that doesn’t have an excellent return policy and warranty.
;)

http://www.livingbird.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=1218

And worth viewing for a picture of the most battered porros at the top of the article.

The glass looks fine but perhaps not the most modern coating (if any!). Is that a home made leather armor sewn in place? I get the feeling this my be somewhere in the developing world where battered bins are better than no bins at all.

. . .
And worth viewing for a picture of the most battered porros at the top of the article.

The glass looks fine but perhaps not the most modern coating (if any!). Is that a home made leather armor sewn in place? I get the feeling this my be somewhere in the developing world where battered bins are better than no bins at all.

Actually those bins belong to the notable birder Chandler Robbins and are supposedly still in use. Methinks I would have retired them but who knows. . .they could be his lucky bins. |:D|

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/whatsnew/events/robbins/images/chanleaf_IMG069_lg.jpg

I think in the above pic those may be the same bins with the leather wrapping intact.

This all may prove that it is the person and their experience that makes them the good birder and not the equipment.

This all may prove that it is the person and their experience that makes them the good birder and not the equipment.

Though good equipment helps especially the beginner looking for field marks.

Of course when you are banding (as Chandler did 150,000+ birds) you don't need bins to see the birds. But there's not doubt he was (is?) a great birder ;)

See the other thread I started about these Chandler's bins ...

Actually those bins belong to the notable birder Chandler Robbins and are supposedly still in use. Methinks I would have retired them but who knows. . .they could be his lucky bins. |:D|

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/whatsnew/events/robbins/images/chanleaf_IMG069_lg.jpg

I think in the above pic those may be the same bins with the leather wrapping intact.

That's a nice umbrella he has in his hand. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back