• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Critical error (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello all,
I have recently updated to Win10. Today that PC shows a "critical error: start menu and cortina aren't working. We will try to fix it next time you sign in"

Except that it is not fixed. Anyone with a good idea?

Niels

I may have solved this myself. I found a page on the web about the error, inclusive of information on how to start control panel outside of the start menu and use that to uninstall Avast antivirus. Having done that, my PC started including cortana and the start menu.

Done with Avast!

Niels

May be best just to stick with Windows Defender that comes with W10 and Malware-bytes Anti-malware for periodic scans. might be worth checking that Defender is 'active'. It should normally deactivate itself when another AV is installed (Avast) but may not automatically reactivate now you've removed Avast.

Dave

Last edited:
I did, and it did become active. Today the computer again started automatically, so Avast seems to have been the culprit

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back