• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact Bins under $160USD (1 Viewer)

nightheron28

Exterminate! Exterminate! Exxxtttteeeerrrrmmmiinat
Hello,

Any good compacts out there in this price range? I ran across a Bushnell 9x25 Legend roof prism bin, has pc-3 phase coatings. Only $154 at B&H is this bino any good, or is there better for the money? Thanks in advance.

I too have seen this in 8x25 roof prism and would also like to know about it. I read somewhere online that the depth of field is not so good, but that is what you have to get used to with roof prisms at the cheaper end of the market. Still, this is the pay off for price and size.

Hi Boznia,

I just noticed you already had a thread going with a similar subject, I didnt even think to look. :)

FYI, I went on the Bushnell website and nowhere on the site does it say that the 9x25 legends have pc-3 phase coatings. Also on most other web based optics distributors does it mention this. Only Eagle optics has this in their description.

I was also looking at the pentax 10x25 UCF-X which on Eagle optics sight is supposed to have aspherical elements in the lenses. However again when I go to Pentax's sight they say nothing about Aspherical elements in these optics.

I dont know if this is a misprint in both cases, but be warned.

I have decided to go with the Pentax 10x28 Roofs. They are compact, have huge objectives for a compact bino, phase coated, and last but not least they have waterproofing among other things. Found them online for $200 + $20 shipping.

I know they are a little more than I wanted to spend, but they really had everything I was looking for. I will update you with a performance report!

Good birding!

I have recently acquired a pair of Bausch and Lomb 8X24 Waterproof Porro prism binoculars. They are fantastic, particularly being able to focus down to under 6 feet (great for butterflys). I bought them from B&H mail order and paid only $115. They are now my preferred bins being 8x magnification they are much steadier than my 10x. Living on the west coast of Ireland the waterproofing comes in very handy! I'm not sure but I think Bausch and Lomb and Bushnell have some kind of tie up.
Hope this helps

I have no trouble with Bushnells, but the ones I have are not very bright. I have 8x and a pair of 12x that I carry because they are small. 12x are useable if you get fairly narrow field. Does not give that seasickness effect when you move them. I use them always when the bird is far and the higher quality 8x does not show detail.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back