• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Robin (at last!) and a small lesson learned! (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Well, Sunday in these parts dawned bright and frosty, and with the approval of my good woman, I took the chance to do some birding.

There's quite a lot going on around these parts, and if I had cherry-picked, I could've come back with a sparkling list.

However, on the one hand, I didn't want to be driving here, there and everywhere to spend a couple of minutes at each site (not today, at least!) and on the other, like as not I would have missed most of them anyway!

Nevertheless, as I live barely an hour from Grimsby, and finally had the time, it would have been remiss of me not to check out the Star Bird of January in this area... yup folks, the American Robin.

It's waited for me for the best part of a month now, so off I set, picking up a nice list on the way, and sure enough, in less than an hour (at 9.25) I was on Estate Road 5, with 20+ other people waiting for the show.

This visitor has set itself up in a small clump of vegetation, couple of small trees, a few shrubs, right at the entrance to one of the industrial units. The shrubbery is positioned in such a way as to give almost a catwalk effect (can you say catwalk in front of a bird???) from backstage to the audience.

Sure enough, in less than five minutes, the star of the show made it's entrance, emerging along the catwalk to see it's fans. It came out, appeared to eye us all up individually, and then go about it's business - feeding, and showing off one side, then the other. It did everything but bow!

I suppose if this is a former Central Park bird, it will be used to people!

Great bird!

After a few moments, a European Robin appeared, with a scalding voice, as if put out that it wasn't the centre of attention!

OK, mission accomplished, a few photos taken (with luck one will be decent!) and after a pleasant half-hour - although it did feel a little impolite to leave! - I set of to see what the rest of the day would bring.

I called in at Killingholme Pits, but there wasn't much to see (couple of Curlew though) and the light was terrible due to the sun, so quickly on to Far Ings, passing a field full, appropriately, of Fieldfare.

There is supposed to be a Red-necked Grebe present at the moment, although it didn't seem to show today. However, it was at Far Ings that I learnt my little lesson!

I have a habit of not including species that I have clearly identified, because I keep looking for "just one more" diagnostic feature, and end up with a lot of "maybe"s. So, in the last few weeks, I made a conscious effort to have more confidence in my abilities, and if I see enough features to be sure, not to allow doubt to creep in.

Well, today, I took that too far!

Sitting in the main hide, I got great views of a birds, which I immediately identified as a sawbill redhead (from the bill) - although it looked a bit unusual to me. You see, "sawbill" to me meant Merganser or Goosander. I looked in my book, and as I thought, it was clearly neither of those. So I started making the characteristics fit the Red-necked Grebe. It really was very similar to making the jigsaw pieces fit, when you know deep down they don't, but you convince yourself they do!

I was just about to leave, to take a look round the rest of the reserve, when another occupant of the hide asked if this was the right reserve for the Grebe. I said that I thought I'd heard him say he'd seen it, to which his response was, he'd seen the female Smew! Sure enough... female Smew it was, but I just didn't think!!! I had fooled myself into the Grebe!

So, the good news is, I haven't come on here to rave about the Red-necked Grebe I didn't see; the bad news is, I haven't come on here to rave about the Red-necked Grebe I did see.

Ah well... Smew is a great bird in any case.

There was a good selection of birds at Far Ings to boost the list, including a few Goldeneye males (who clearly haven't seen the weather forecast!) doing their head-throwing display.

The feeders were also well-visited, with many of the typical birds you would expect. I have included Marsh Tit on my list, in spite of no call to distinguish it from Willow Tit, but on the grounds of advice elsewhere on BF that Willows don't like to associate with other birds.

After a couple of hours or so at Far Ings, it was time to gradually make my way home, stopping for a look over at Read's Island on the way. Amongst a few other things, were at least 6 deer (?), and a Merganser/Goosander redhead.

And finally, whilst taking the scenic route, I picked up a flock of 30+ Curlew, and later as many, if not more, Golden Plover.

One obvious lifer, plus 10 or so other year ticks is an OK day if you ask me.

Right, brace ourselves for winter now, I reckon!

List as follows...

Pheasant - Phasianus colchicus
Mute Swan - Cygnus olor
Greylag Goose - Anser anser
Shelduck - Tadorna tadorna
Mallard - Anas platyrhynchos
Shoveler - Anas clypeata
Teal - Anas crecca
Pochard - Aythya ferina
Tufted Duck - Aythya fuligula
Goldeneye - Bucephala clangula
Smew - Mergellus albellus
Merganser/Goosander Redhead
Woodpigeon - Columba palumbus
Collared Dove - Streptopelia decaocto
Moorhen - Gallinula chloropus
Coot - Fulica atra
Curlew - Numenius arquata
Redshank - Tringa totanus
Golden Plover - Pluvialis apricaria
Lapwing - Vanellus vanellus
Great Black-backed Gull - Larus marinus
Herring Gull - Larus argentatus
Black-headed Gull - Larus ridibundus
Kestrel - Falco tinnunculus
Little Grebe - Tachybaptus ruficollis
Great Crested Grebe - Podiceps cristatus
Cormorant - Phalacrocorax carbo
Magpie - Pica pica
Rook - Corvus frugilegus
Carrion Crow - Corvus corone
Blackbird - Turdus merula
Fieldfare - Turdus pilaris
American Robin - Turdus migratorius
Robin - Erithacus rubecula
Starling - Sturnus vulgaris
Wren - Troglodytes troglodytes
Marsh Tit - Parus palustris
Great Tit - Parus major
Blue Tit - Parus caeruleus
Long-tailed Tit - Aegithalos caudatus
House Sparrow - Passer domesticus
Tree Sparrow - Passer montanus
Dunnock - Prunella modularis
Chaffinch - Fringilla coelebs
Greenfinch - Carduelis chloris
Goldfinch - Carduelis carduelis
Redpoll - Carduelis flammea
Yellowhammer - Emberiza citrinella
Reed Bunting - Emberiza schoeniclus

Last edited:
Sounds like a good day to me Dave. I was perfectly happy with the 3x redheads today too, plus of course Slavonian Grebe, but alas no American Robin. I'm tempted to make the 2 hr drive to go see it, but as I didn't for the Spotted Cuckoo on the north side of the Humber last year, I guess I won't.

Congratulations on the Robin, Dave!

I've really enjoyed your report, especially in reminding me how a bird that is so common to me can be truly remarkable to others. Your delight in seeing it shines through.

Then, of course, there's the rest of your list -- so many birds that would be lifers for me! Smew, redshank, lapwing, all the tits . . . etc., etc.

Glad you had such a great day!

Excellent narrative Dave. Had me chuckling at a few spots. The day was certainly abundant in sightings for you. That is plainly evident. Congrats on your American Robin.

As an aside here, when you get a rare bird like this does anyone try to keep it in that spot by plying it with tidbits it would like, i.e. berries, cranberries etc.
They do it over here and I was just wondering if it was the same over there.

Great pleasure in reading that birdman.

I too visited the American robin and could identify with the remarks and observations you make. Got to say that if anyone else goes to see the Robin and doesn't fancy just going home then have a look for moody lane which is a road off the roundabout you come off at to see the robin. Head for the sea and you will see bird hides and the like which takes you along the shoreline where hundreds of waders,godwits,redshank,lapwing, curlew etc. Very cold but it was great to see so many birds as extras.

K C-- As regards to the feeding of the robin the answer whilst I was there was yes. It tucked into sultanas and apples. Great Bird and so almost aloof.

Beverly & KC,

It must be so odd for you Americans to read about the excitement generated by 'robins'. we've had two this winter and both have been most obliging and have stayed in the same spot without, as far as I know, being fed titbits.

Nobody still knows whether immigrants from N. America make the return flight in the fullness of time although I have heard one expert birder express his opinion that at least some of them do.

Regards,

Padraig.

Great report, Birdman, and I am very familiar with "making the characteristics fit" whatever you want it to be. It is so easy to do.
I really envy you your 'rarities' and unusual migrants. We don't have so many here but when we do it is a big event but unfortunately it can be up to 2 thousand Kilometers away.

Enjoyed your report Dave. Pleased you made your way into my territory to see the "Robin" one sort or another!!.
Look forward to your next expedition episode.

Well done Birdman,glad you got the American Robin.The deer on Reads Island are Fallow Deer,according to an article about the Humber Estuary in BBC Wilflife magazine Feb edition.

Nice report again Birdman, and what a fantastic day you had! nice one with the Robin, good for your list. just a bit of info, on the willow-marsh-tits, in the November Birdwatching mag page 30
Dominic Couzens does an ID help, keep em coming.
bert.

birdman said:
The feeders were also well-visited, with many of the typical birds you would expect. I have included Marsh Tit on my list, in spite of no call to distinguish it from Willow Tit, but on the grounds of advice elsewhere on BF that Willows don't like to associate with other birds.
QUOTE]

I think you only get willows there? And they do regularly come to feeders with other tits (both Marsh and Willow) in the right areas.

Thanks for the information Periwinkle, I'll bear it in mind.

I think I'm a long way short of confidently splitting those two, so I'm in no great rush to add Marsh Tit to my life-list based on the few "sightings" I've had... I'll have to keep my ears open!

I caught the Marsh/Willow id guide, bert. It all looks pretty straightforward on paper, but when you see them for little more than a second... well it's a lot to check!

Cheers for the news on the Fallow Deer, Geoff. Funnily enough, I was reading about Read's Island yesterday evening, and it mentioned the Fallow Deer... apparently they've been around since the mid 1970s. Also, Read's Island is supposd to have developed in the 17th Century around a wreck, and apparently was once as large a 500 acres. Now, with erosion it's down to 80 acres... wonder how long it's got left?!?!?

John... you'll be pleased (perhaps!) to here I venture across the border every weekday, as I work in North Lincs. Almost understand the dialect now!!! ;)

Thanks Nancy for the reminder of how lucky we Brits can be... I think we bemoan our birds from time to time, but for such a relatively small place... we don't do too badly, and pick up some nice rarities.

Thanks to everyone else for your kind replies, and if you do find yourself in the area, you could do a lot worse than follows Sleeper's suggestion.

:t: :t: :t:

AHHHH Birdman as ever i enjoy your reports, you have a refreshing honesty and an obvious delight in your hobby.

I have been tempted by the Yankee Robin so close and yet so far i may yet crack, hope your photo's turn out.

Have not sorted out my list so far this year, to busy trying to sort out my camera, but in a few weeks i will start the BTO migration watch on my patch so i will try to catch up on all the species i should have seen by now.

Ta Ta 4 now Cuddy.

KCFoggin said:
As an aside here, when you get a rare bird like this does anyone try to keep it in that spot by plying it with tidbits it would like, i.e. berries, cranberries etc.
They do it over here and I was just wondering if it was the same over there.
Hi KC

Occasionally we do. I'm not sure that your robins need any help - the one in Cornwall doesn't get any - but the Northern Oriole in Oxford was kept in place by offering it oranges (as the photos on Surfbirds show). Rare gulls get fed bread or anything else handy and so, too, do ducks - but in the latter case it's got more to do with testing how tame they are!

Jason

Birdman,

A great account and it is good to know you have American Robin on your list like many of us. Does it seem to like the attention like the Godrevy bird?

Many Thanks cuddy... and Good Luck with the migration watch!

Andrew, definitely as bold as brass, and seemed to show-off rather a lot! The occasional speeding (and I mean speeding) car would rush it back into the shrubbery, but wouldn't be long until it reappeared.

I have seen the Robin, and I was think of going to see the R N Grebe. But do not know Far Ings so could save the trip if the Grebe is not as showy as the Robin...

Far Ings is a good reserve, right at the southern (Barton) side of the Humber Bridge.

Even with nothing special, it would be a decent place to go at this time of year, PJ... in fact, you would be well served in that corner of Lincs, as long as you have a car to get you round.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back