• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (2 Viewers)

harry eales said:
Hello Martin,

Your correct, a Birch Shieldbug it is.

Harry

Many thanks Harry, well thats all the easy ones - have to work harder next year to find more new ones. Have a Great Xmas,

kind regards, Martin

December?

Hello folks and especially Harry.

Couple of questions.........is the attached pic a shieldbug nymph and is it possible to identify. Must admit I didn't expect to see these about at Fairburn Ings on the last day of December 06!, is this usual?. Length in total is approx 2-3mm (probably nearer 2)

I photograph lots of shieldbugs but have never actually found a good guide for the nymphs.

Don't know how to post pic so hope this link will suffice.

http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/albums/UploadsFTP2/Insects/_DSC0614.jpghttp://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/albums/UploadsFTP2/Insects/thumb__DSC0614.jpg

Denis.

Last edited:
DenisG said:
Hello folks and especially Harry.

Couple of questions.........is the attached pic a shieldbug nymph and is it possible to identify. Must admit I didn't expect to see these about at Fairburn Ings on the last day of December 06!, is this usual?. Length in total is approx 2-3mm (probably nearer 2)

I photograph lots of shieldbugs but have never actually found a good guide for the nymphs.

Don't know how to post pic so hope this link will suffice.

http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/albums/UploadsFTP2/Insects/_DSC0614.jpghttp://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/albums/UploadsFTP2/Insects/thumb__DSC0614.jpg

Denis.

Hello Denis.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that this is a Shieldbug. This 'group' either overwinters in either in the the 'Mature' adult or 'Ova' stage. I'm by no means certain, but I think you have a 'Capsid Bug' nymph pictured here. These species are well outside my area of 'expertese'. Sorry.

There is very little literature or other information available about British Shieldbugs in their nymphal stages. They can, and do, vary, from instar to instar in both shape and colouring. I'm sorry, but I can't be of more assistance.

Regards,

Harry

adult green shiledbug today

Just found my first shield bug of the year, a nice brown adult Palomena prasina sunning itself in my bedfordshire, UK garden. There was a noticeable frost last night, and my car said it was still -2c at 08:00, but it was up to 7c by 11:30. I hadn't expected anything much to be around, but bees, Red Admirals, 7spot Ladybird, ...
Hugh

138mph said:
Just found my first shield bug of the year, a nice brown adult Palomena prasina sunning itself in my bedfordshire, UK garden. There was a noticeable frost last night, and my car said it was still -2c at 08:00, but it was up to 7c by 11:30. I hadn't expected anything much to be around, but bees, Red Admirals, 7spot Ladybird, ...
Hugh
Here's pic of one that was at my moth trap on Jan 10th

Attachments

• greenshieldbug.jpg
    greenshieldbug.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 96
Doing some beating in Berkshire today we found a Juniper Shieldbug on Scot's Pine + Troilus luridus from some Ivy cascading from an Oak.

Taking my usual daily walk along the local riverbank on a bright and surprisingly warm afternoon last Friday I was pleasantly surprised to find three species of Shieldbug. A Parent Bug and a Birch Shieldbug on flowering Hazel catkins and two Gorse Shieldbugs on a spray on Gorse flowers.

I wouldn't expect to see any of these until early March. A post hibernated Comma and Small Tortoiseshell rounded off my day nicely.

Harry

This little beauty came walking across a beach in Southern Spain to see me last summer.

Does anyone know its name?

Attachments

• 17 Shieldbug, 11 July 06.jpg
    17 Shieldbug, 11 July 06.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 91
Alan Seaton said:
This little beauty came walking across a beach in Southern Spain to see me last summer.

Does anyone know its name?

Hello Alan,

It looks like Pyrrhocoris apterus The Firebug.

Having said that there are several red coloured bugs which are somewhat similar in Europe. I don't have books that cover all the Continetal species.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Alan,

It looks like Pyrrhocoris apterus The Firebug.

Having said that there are several red coloured bugs which are somewhat similar in Europe. I don't have books that cover all the Continetal species.

Harry
Gosh, That was quick Harry.

Thanks.

From its shape it looks like Common Green Shieldbug, Palomena prasina, which is usually a murky brown after it wakes from its winter slumbers, before going green.

Brian Stone said:
Can anyone help with an ID for this rather poor shot, taken today? Ta.

I believe this is a Sloe Bug, in winter colours, on account of the very pale tip to the scutellum & the black & white barred antennae.

Stuart.

I found this green sheildbug which had two strange markings on it which by my reckoning it shouldn't have. Would this be from someone doing research? If so does anyone know of research being done on sheildbugs in the Suffolk/Cambridge/Essex area that might like to know about it?

Attachments

• spotted-sheildbug.jpg
    spotted-sheildbug.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 84
SarahK said:
I found this green sheildbug which had two strange markings on it which by my reckoning it shouldn't have. Would this be from someone doing research? If so does anyone know of research being done on sheildbugs in the Suffolk/Cambridge/Essex area that might like to know about it?

Hello SarahK,
Your picture is that of a Green Shieldbug Palomena prasina that is in transitional stage between hibernating and spring colouration.

During hibernation they go a dull purplish brown which acts as camouflage. One they awaken in spring they change back slowly to their normal colour.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello SarahK,
Your picture is that of a Green Shieldbug Palomena prasina that is in transitional stage between hibernating and spring colouration.

During hibernation they go a dull purplish brown which acts as camouflage. One they awaken in spring they change back slowly to their normal colour.

Harry

Hi Harry

Thanks for the help, I obviously haven't been observant but I have never noticed the two spots on the front part just behind the head on Green Sheildbug before, is that part of the winter colouring or just an oddity?

Sarah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back