• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (13 Viewers)

Can anyone identify this shieldbug nymph I found in mid-July this year. It was in an area of bracken, brambles and nettles. I tried to keep it alive to adulthood but it died after moulting once. The best match I can find in Shieldbugs of Surrey is Troilus luridus but this one lacks the pale patches at the sides of the pronotum and round the edge of the abdomen. I did consider Eurydema dominulus but the pictures I found show two small red spots on the scutellum, if it's called that on a nymph.
The other photo is of what I believe to be a first instar nymph of the dock bug Coreus marginatus.

Attachments

• nymph 1.jpg
    nymph 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 95
  • moulting nymph.jpg
    moulting nymph.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 125
  • nymph 2.jpg
    nymph 2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 103
  • C marginatus nymph.jpg
    C marginatus nymph.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 112
Mis said:
Can anyone identify this shieldbug nymph I found in mid-July this year. It was in an area of bracken, brambles and nettles. I tried to keep it alive to adulthood but it died after moulting once. The best match I can find in Shieldbugs of Surrey is Troilus luridus but this one lacks the pale patches at the sides of the pronotum and round the edge of the abdomen. I did consider Eurydema dominulus but the pictures I found show two small red spots on the scutellum, if it's called that on a nymph.
The other photo is of what I believe to be a first instar nymph of the dock bug Coreus marginatus.

Hello Mis,

By you know how to pick the difficult ones. Pics 1-3 Possibly Sehirus impressus. But this is very rare, found on chalk downland in association with Bastard Toadflax. I don't think it is T.luridous as that is a tree dweller normally, and the eyes look wrong for this species.

Pic 4 You may be right but I've never seen this species, I live too far north for it.

Nymphs are difficult especially around the time of moulting as they haven't developed their full colours when freshly moulted. That only comes after several hours or even days depending on the temperature. They can also change colour and patterns from instar to instar.

Sorry to be of so little help.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Mis,

By you know how to pick the difficult ones. Pics 1-3 Possibly Sehirus impressus. But this is very rare, found on chalk downland in association with Bastard Toadflax. I don't think it is T.luridous as that is a tree dweller normally, and the eyes look wrong for this species.

Harry
Harry, any reason why 1-3 wouldn't be Blue Shield Bug Zicrona caerulea?
I have images at
http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/gst/run.cgi?action=sc2
there were adults of that species in close proximity and Wanzen und Zikaden shows similar image.

Last edited:
Mis said:

I had number 4 down as maybe Red Capsid Bug Deraeocoris ruber, so I also would be grateful for an informed identification.

Hugh

138mph said:
Harry, any reason why 1-3 wouldn't be Blue Shield Bug Zicrona caerulea?
I have images at
http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/gst/run.cgi?action=sc2
there were adults of that species in close proximity and Wanzen und Zikaden shows similar image.

Hello Hugh,
It is another candidate that has possibilities. It didn't come to mind as with me the Blue Bug is always a Heather moorland species, and the habitat description given, didn't match that of where I see the Blue Bug.

I can't immediately locate my copy of Wanzen und Zilkaden. That's a problem when you have as many books as I have, spread over three rooms in several bookcases and the surplus stacked up all over the place.

The Blue Bug is certainly a more likely candidate than S. impressus.

Harry

Last edited:
138mph said:
I had number 4 down as maybe Red Capsid Bug Deraeocoris ruber, so I also would be grateful for an informed identification.

Hugh

Hello Hugh,
I know next to nothing about Capsids at all. Reading the original text it appeared that the first three pictures were all of the same specimen. I didn't make any comment on no.4. other than that the poster may be right as I hadn't seen this species myself.

Harry.

I've had a look at the photos of the blue shieldbug nymph and it certainly looks similar. My specimen had darker legs but otherwise it seems a possibility.
There's no heather heath nearby. The closest is a small patch in a clearing about a quarter of a mile away where local conservationists are trying to re-establish the original habitat. My three photos are all of the same specimen.

Photo 4 matches a picture of C marginatus I've located on a French website. I believe it's an early instar which is why it looks so different.

I've been having another look in Shieldbugs of Surrey and the blue shieldbug has been recorded feeding on flea-beetles on common willowherb. There's quite a lot of rosebay willowherb near where I found the nymph.

Mis said:
I've been having another look in Shieldbugs of Surrey and the blue shieldbug has been recorded feeding on flea-beetles on common willowherb. There's quite a lot of rosebay willowherb near where I found the nymph.

It's strange how a change in latitude can alter feding habits of certain species. The Blue Bugs in Northumberland and Durham always seem to feed on the larvae of the Heather Beetle. Once or twice I've been nearly caught out when seeing similar sized blue beetles on various herbage, but I've never seen one on anything but Heather.

Harry.

Last year we found nymphs of Zicrona caerulea in damp patch by ponds on Bookham Common, Surrey- no heathland here! In same vicinity are numerous chrysomelid beetles, including the splendid Chrysolina menthastri + C.polita, the larvae of which are diet of this predatory shieldbug.

Speaking of Chrysolina, I've found five specimens of C. americana on a sage bush in my garden this summer. I know it has been found on lavender, thyme and rosemary but I'd not seen mention of sage as a food plant.

I've only seen C. americana on rosemary + lavender, but I know RHS has listed sage + thyme as other foodplants- guess all are aromatic labiates.

Here are two more shieldbug nymphs. I'm fairly certain that the one on a nettle leaf is Pentatoma rufipes. The other could be an earlier instar of the same species. The head and body shape are similar and it was found in the same area.

Attachments

• nymph1.jpg
    nymph1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 117
  • nymph2.jpg
    nymph2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 103
Mis said:
Here are two more shieldbug nymphs. I'm fairly certain that the one on a nettle leaf is Pentatoma rufipes. The other could be an earlier instar of the same species. The head and body shape are similar and it was found in the same area.

Hello Mis,
No 1 is definately P.rufipes, it's quite distinct in the latter nyphal stages.
No 2 is probably P.rufipes. I'ts quite small for this time of the year bearing in mind it hibernates as an adult. I had to lighten your picture using Photoshop but by the time I got it lightened enough it was impossible to be absolutely sure.

Harry

Hello Harry
I should have said that the photos were taken earlier in the summer, so No.2 has had time to mature. I came across them when I was sorting out some photos.
Thanks for your help
Mis

What a great thread! I'll be looking more closely for these in future - and must try beating too!

I've tentatively ID'd the 4 below from my files based on previous postings here, but would be grateful for any confirmation or correction from those here that know. :h?:

Coreus marginatus - Squashbug
Dolycolis baccarum - Sloe shieldbug
Palomena prasina - Green shieldbug - Nymph and adult

Many thanks, Martin

Attachments

• 060610 Aldbury Nowers (42).jpg
    060610 Aldbury Nowers (42).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 060729 Wendover (30).jpg
    060729 Wendover (30).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 108
  • 060903 Cornhill meadows (27).jpg
    060903 Cornhill meadows (27).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 060916 Gaddesden (3)a.jpg
    060916 Gaddesden (3)a.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 89
dippers said:
What a great thread! I'll be looking more closely for these in future - and must try beating too!

I've tentatively ID'd the 4 below from my files based on previous postings here, but would be grateful for any confirmation or correction from those here that know. :h?:

Coreus marginatus - Squashbug
Dolycolis baccarum - Sloe shieldbug
Palomena prasina - Green shieldbug - Nymph and adult

Many thanks, Martin

Hello Martin,
I would agree with your identifications.

Harry

Another shieldbug - can you confirm ID please?

dippers said:
Many thanks Harry, I'll try to find some more of these for you next year!

Cheers, Martin

Hi again, back quicker than I thought, have just found this one while sorting last of backlog, taken 29/10/2006 - am I right in thinking this is a Birch Shieldbug?

Many thanks for any help,
Kind regards, Martin

Attachments

• 061029 Ivinghoe College lake WIlstone (3).jpg
    061029 Ivinghoe College lake WIlstone (3).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 84
dippers said:
Hi again, back quicker than I thought, have just found this one while sorting last of backlog, taken 29/10/2006 - am I right in thinking this is a Birch Shieldbug?

Many thanks for any help,
Kind regards, Martin

Hello Martin,

Your correct, a Birch Shieldbug it is.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back