• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North American Swallow ID (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
I saw this swallow flying around at a boat yard while my father and I were prepping our boat to be put into the water.

The were lots of swallows. I believe the majority of them were Barn Swallows, but I noticed a few did not look like Barn Swallows. When I saw the bird (below) land nearby, I snapped a picture. Seeing it on the screen, I've narrowed it down to several possibilities. I've used the Levels correction in Photoshop to try and get a better look at some of the features of the bird. The bird is facing away from the camera, so no throat markings are visible. I did notice a lighter-colored band going from the chin to the back of the head, but it's a very small difference.

I don't know how much more information I can give you. It was several days ago, and I've pretty much forgotten the flight style. Come to think of it, it was a slightly more direct flight than the Barn Swallows, which were making quick, abrupt swerves and turns.

Today, I saw some Cliff Swallows. I don't think the mystery swallow or martin had a pale rump.

Sorry about the poor picture quality. I think something's wrong with the bloody camera; the photos have been getting rather pixelated as of late.

Attachments

• P5230003 swallow.jpg
    P5230003 swallow.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 210
Northern rough winged also for me, though I know it only from the books (never been on your side of the pond)...

But what is that thingy lying on the ground around the bird? looks a bit like snake skin?!

Joern, it does look like a snake skin. But in fact it's a material that boat yards use to hold shrink wrap in place on boats over the cold winters here. We take the boats out of the water to store them for the winter. Don't want the ice damaging the hulls, now do we?

So it is what I thought it was. Thanks, everyone! Now I've seen pretty much all the swallows in North America, except for the Cave Swallow and Purple Martin.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back