• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (36 Viewers)

Titchwell Mealy

Some record shots of the Titchwell Mealy.

Dave

Attachments

• P1000930-e-500.jpg
    P1000930-e-500.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 119
  • P1000936-e-500.jpg
    P1000936-e-500.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 112
gnome
Golden Pheasants: they are seen in the first 'triangle' of roads made by the A 149, although 'cruising' can provide the occasional view, I often find it best to sit and wait for the birds to appear. I saw them recently on the southern side of the 'triangle', by parking c 200 yards SE of the crossroads - others might tell you different!

Shorelarks: it is best to park in the RSPB carpark (marked on the map, to the north east) and follow the path to the reserve. The Shorelarks are often see on the 'beach' immediately south of where the path meets the seawall. There is no vehicular access to the chalet area - this is strictly private.
I also saw a small flock of Snow Buntings here, continue walking south and watching the beach. A Purple Sandpiper had overwintered on the pools, I saw it from Shore Hide.

There have been Twite seen at Titchwell, although I haven't heard any recent reports. Brancaster Staithe was good for them last year, but again I haven't heard anything from there recently>

Lapland Buntings are very few and far between - they could be anywhere (or nowhere!)

Good luck

Thanks very much for this, just what I needed.

Cley and Salthouse - out birding at last!

Still don't feel well but just had to escape otherwise I would have flipped!

Still no computer so typing this one fingered on iPhone!

On route to Cley I had 2 common buzzards over the A148 just before the Little Snoring turn off.

Arrived Cley Visitor Centre - whilst queueing up for a chocolate fix (yes I know it's not included in Weightwatchers!) I was caught red handed by Pat who smiled and asked how the diet was going!!!!!!!

I arrived at Walsey Hills carpark at around 2pm - after John Furse posted on Birdforum that the NOA had been carrying out more scrub clearance I thought I would have a look - most of the clearance done before was ok I suppose apart from the removal of the sycamore tree above the building and the closure of the end of the centre path, BUT the recent clearing has just ruined the whole look in my opinion - all the gorse either side of the steps that lead up to hide has been removed including the gorse where the Adders retreat back into!!!! It has always been very pleasant sitting on the seated bank to right of those steps, but this has also gone - sad. Maybe it will all look better in the spring but for now it looks hacked into and barron! Lost all it's character. Walking round I discovered the centre path is blocked by a massive fallen tree - I hope very much this will be cleared. The pond that was dug out last year has had nothing more done to it yet - I presume a liner of sorts will be put in and filled with water for spring migrants!

It was a beautiful afternoon with glorious sunshine and everything looked golden. Re-parked the car in East Bank carpark and walked out to the sea - solitary lapwings dotted about on route along with moorhens and greylags. A birder pointed a little gull in the very far distance, which to me was a white speck! Arnolds marsh: counted 30+ avocets, 56 black tailed godwits, shelducks, wigeon, teal, Dublin, redshank. Lots of gulls on the sea - not alot else though. Spoke to Pete Snook on the phone who told me that the snowbuntings were showing very well at Salthouse. Drove round to Salthouse beach carpark where the snowbuntings were indeed showing beautifully and looked even better through my Canon lens!!! Got some cracking shots but can't post them on here until I get my computer back from Kris! Also a turnstone here and 2 pied wagtails - thank you to whoever has been seeding the bank!!! After leaving here I had fantastic views of a barn owl on a post just after the Dunn Cow pub. It's most definately getting lighter in the evenings now - stopped the car just outside Cley to climb up the bank to view the windmill in the setting sun around 4.50pm!

Left Cley and just after Morston I had an awesome surprise of a Bittern flying directly over the car (going towards Cley) at 5.09pm!!! Cracking end to my short afternoon out BUT I was suffering now - if I had not have gone out I think I would have gone insane - it's not good mentally to spend too long by yourself!

See my blog for extras and Pictures.

Last edited:
This is nothing unusual. They go in even if the gate IS shut and the 'no entry' sign showing! Last year an artist even set up with easel in front of wiggy hide and was most afronted to be chucked off, saying she wasn't disturbing the birds! (of course there weren't any there to be disturbed by then!)
Hi Sue

Welcome to Birdforum!!!

Best Wishes Penny

Titchwell February 1st

Today's highlights

Bullfinch - 2 in carpark
Slav grebe - 1 offshore
Mealy redpoll - 1 in alders by picnic area
Snow bunting - 3 at Thornham Point

Paul

I've heard several people talk of Willow Tits at Whittlingham ? Not just a typo ?
We managed to see dartford warbler today in Norfolk which was very nice as I assumed they would have all succumbed to the cold weather

Went back this evening to try to obtain better views of two jack snipe* flushed from a roadside drainage ditch very near home last evening (twixt Thursford and Kettlestone) - no joy - however a green sand. further along towards Fulmodestone was still there.
* Parish tick.

I've heard several people talk of Willow Tits at Whittlingham ? Not just a typo ?

I've been birding at Whitlingham fairly regularly since 1997 and I've never seen a Willow Tit there. In fact, I haven't seen a Willow Tit in the east of the county for years, although still come across them in the Brecks (albeit hugely outnumbered by Marsh).

Cheers

Andy

I think Mark Grantham and his team trapped some willow tits at the sewage works near here fairly recently (poss the summer before last), so they could still be about albeit in tiny numbers.
Is this a description species yet? Probably should be!
Cheers

I think Mark Grantham and his team trapped some willow tits at the sewage works near here fairly recently (poss the summer before last), so they could still be about albeit in tiny numbers.
Is this a description species yet? Probably should be!
Cheers

I've seen one or two on the Postwick side of the river opposite the sewage works recently.

I had a possible Willow in 2005 down at the marshes by the sewage works at Whitlingham - but not a sniff since. Certainly not on the feeder anyway. The other site I've always thought might be a possible is Damgate wood in Acle - right habitat, little visited - but no joy so far.

Good day around Norfolk today, despite the rain, 4 Golden Pheasants at Wolferton, 50+ snow buntings at Salthouse car park. Yesterday, got good views of the Rough-legged Buzzard down near Waverely Forest (also 20+ Bearded Tits about), and then 12 Cranes at Hickling, along with 2 Merlins, 3 Hen Harriers and plenty of Marsh Harriers. Sunday there was 6 Hen Harriers around Warnham Greens (2 males). Can anyone recommend anywhere good for Short-eared Owls or Bitterns at the moment (in Norfolk)??

Short-eared Owls or Bitterns

Good day around Norfolk today, despite the rain, 4 Golden Pheasants at Wolferton, 50+ snow buntings at Salthouse car park. Yesterday, got good views of the Rough-legged Buzzard down near Waverely Forest (also 20+ Bearded Tits about), and then 12 Cranes at Hickling, along with 2 Merlins, 3 Hen Harriers and plenty of Marsh Harriers. Sunday there was 6 Hen Harriers around Warnham Greens (2 males). Can anyone recommend anywhere good for Short-eared Owls or Bitterns at the moment (in Norfolk)??

Short-eared owls can be seen from the same spot as the rough legged buzzard. (Last Thursday saw the RL buzzard but no short-eared owl so may go back later myself)

Bitterns have been seen at Strumpshaw Fen RSPB. Access from Brundall roundabout on A47 east of Norwich. Beyond the village two right turns in quick succession, the latter onto Low Road Strumpshaw. Taiga bean geese may be seen close to Strumpshaw Fen at Buckenham Marshes.

I had a possible Willow in 2005 down at the marshes by the sewage works at Whitlingham - but not a sniff since. Certainly not on the feeder anyway. The other site I've always thought might be a possible is Damgate wood in Acle - right habitat, little visited - but no joy so far.

Sounds like they are being seen at Strumpshaw this year. I saw and heard one there a few years ago but not since. Certainly not easy bird to find in Norfolk nowadays!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back