• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations please! (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

Hi,

some of you will have read my earlier thread on my ailing Bushnells. I'm looking for model recommendations in the sub £200 range that are:

Bright and clear view
probably 8 x 42. (athough keeping an open mind)
Waterproof and wont steam up.
Fine for a spectacle wearer such as myself.
ideally have those stay on lens covers.
As light as my bushnell birding series or ideally lighter.
I also find that a lot of bins don't fold in close enough for my eyes and so I get that overlapping circles effect. Ones that fold in close would be a must.

I will be going to the bird fair this year so looking forward to trying out a few. but it would be good to know which models to look out for.

Would also consider S/h for a better deal. :t:

I will be going to the bird fair this year so looking forward to trying out a few. but it would be good to know which models to look out for.

Hi kitty,

I would put the Vortex Vipers 8 x 42 on your list of binoculars to try out. I really like mine; I cannot see much difference between them and elite binoculars (Zeiss FL for example) optically. Very good eye relief, and quite light for this size objective (23 ounces). Slightly over your price range -- around 250 pounds I believe. But binoculars are probably the optics you use the most, so I think it is worth spending a little to get a good pair. They also come with an unconditional lifetime warranty and have a locking diopter.

Best,
Jim

Slightly over budget again but you could have a look at the Minox BL 8x32 or 8x42. They get recommended a lot and are very light. If you hunt around, the 8x32s are sometimes available quite close to £200.

My other half has got a pair of Opticron Discovery 8x42s which she really likes, especially as she wears glasses and they have very good eye relief. They are unusually small for 8x42s. I have tried her on 'better' binoculars but she says she likes the Discoveries best! Sherwoods are currently doing them on special offer at £95. You could probably do a bit bitter than them but they might be worth a look.

Ron

It does'nt seem that Vortex will be among the exhibitors at this years Birdfair which is a pity because the Vipers 8x42 are superb value for money. Having said that Opticron have several excellent models within your budget that you can compare side by side. Pentax and Minox should also be considered and are exhibiting...and don't forget Swift they are usually there with their models. All in all you should be thoroughly spoiled for choice and confused too probably with so many to choose from...but I hope you enjoy your visit to Birdfair and let us all know what you purchased when you get back.

Best Wishes,

Bill

Last edited:
I have the Minox.
I nearly bought some Leica's but really couldn't justify the extra as the Minox were perfect for me. Optically superb and solid as hell. I took them on the coast to coast walk and they are still sparkling even after being in a river. I let others look through em and they are impressed.

Never understood why they are rare to see...

Monarchs are pretty expensive if you're looking for something under £200. I'd recommend Viking GR's. I've got a pair of 10x45's and they work excellently at low light, on top of being good all round, costing about £270. If that's too expensive, have a look at Viking Vistrons. They aren't quite as good, but are rated as being one of the best value binoculars there is (plus they look pretty cool!).

If as posted above Swift is at the fair and you can get to the fair, I will reccomend that you take a good hard look at their Eaglet series binoculars. I have an Eaglet in 7x36 that is an excellent binocular. $410.00 US. The Eaglet series binoculars. to my eyes, are every bit the equal of the Vortex Viper and the Pentax SP. The Swift 8.5x44 HHS roof is worth a look too. Eaglets and Vipers are a definite step up from the Monarch. I have a Monarch 8x42. The 7x36 Eaglet has replaced it completely. Smaller, brighter, sharper, and a much improved apparent depth of field. At 7x it will show more detail than the Monarch at 8x.

Last edited:
I also find that a lot of bins don't fold in close enough for my eyes and so I get that overlapping circles effect. Ones that fold in close would be a must.
You have a narrow IPD (Interpupillary Distance). If you measure your IPD, you can then confine your search to bins that meet your requirements. Here's how to do it:

Set your present binoculars to the right IPD, then measure from the inside of one eyepiece to the outside of the other, taking the rule across the centre of the one you're crossing. That measurement, in mm, is your IPD.

Remember that you'll probably take a step down in optical quality if you buy a roof prism for £200. One bin that meets quite a few of your requirements (no bin will meet them all) is a porro, the Opticron HR WP 8x42. It's optics are the best quality you can get anywhere for under £200; it's waterproof; pretty good for glasses; minimum IPD of 56mm; tough and well-built. Where it might not meet your requirements: It weighs 700g; it's pretty broad; it's focus knob isn't well placed (for me, anyway); it doesnt have attached lens covers; its close focus, at 3m, is nothing to write home about.

Another bin that will meet some, but not all of your requirements, is the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. It has an IPD of 50mm; is very light; good for glasses; waterproof. Against: nowhere near as good optically as the HR WP; 6x magnification; poor close focus.

As well as getting bins with the right IPD, make sure you get ones with the right eye relief; it's almost as important as IPD. Anyway, good luck at the Fair. I look forward to finding out what you get.

Michael

I have to mostly agree with MacGee about the Yosemite. They also come in 8x. I have both 6 and 8x versions. I have no earthly idea about the optical quality of the Opticron HR WP, but the Yosemite (either one) will require at least $500 US to beat optically very much. They are extremely close to the optical quality of the Viper class glass. The 6x Yosemite has very long eye relief and as such the oculars are normally placed further away from your eye than lots of other binoculars, mine fog the exterior of the oculars much less in cold weather than anything else I have ever used. The Vortex Fury is another good not so easy to fog the outer ocular lenses for the same reason. Both my Yosemites will close focus to 9-10 feet. The 6x also gives up less than you might expect in detail. Plus they are pretty cheap,(at least in the US) so you don't loose much if you don't like it.

I did not think Leupold binoculars were available in the UK. Am I mistaken?

Best,
Jim

Can get 'em here Jim but at prices that might make your eyes water. How does a Yosemite 6x30 @ £80 or Katmai 6x32 @ £260 look? :eek!:
Actually good samples at those prices here in UK would represent pretty good value.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone and the info on the technical stuff too. Ok so I've tried to measure my IPD looks like its 57 mm. The vipers sound really good, shame they won't be at the bird fair. Does anyone know anywhere in Norfolk/Suffolk that stocks Vipers? I think I might be leaning towards roofs this time (I've only ever owned porros). It would be good if they weren't too bulky as I usally also have a scope, and a panasonic camera with me on my birding trips.

The vipers sound really good...
They have a minimum IPD of 59mm, so they're no good to you. Most of the other models recommended here will be the same. You need to draw up a list of bins with a minimum IPD of 57mm or less and only look at them. Have a look at this previous thread about bins for narrow IPDs.

Michael

They have a minimum IPD of 59mm, so they're no good to you. Most of the other models recommended here will be the same. You need to draw up a list of bins with a minimum IPD of 57mm or less and only look at them. Have a look at this previous thread about bins for narrow IPDs.

Michael

Oh. Thanks for the info. :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back