• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monocular recommendations (1 Viewer)

William Lewis, post 23,
We have investigated the foldable monocular you show in your post in comparison with a number of other foldablel monoculars from Zeiss, Docter, Steiner etc. etc. The results are published on the WB-site of House of Outdoor.
Gijs van Ginkel
Thanks for taking the time Gijs, what is the reference to the monocular on the house of outdoor website? It's all double Dutch to me! I've downloaded most of your studies on there already but haven't come across that one yet?

I actually followed this recommendation and got the Artes from a Japanese seller on eBay for $226 about a year ago. I believe they may have been discontinued, so if you want one, don't tarry. Very good monocular, but the expanding design means they are not nitrogen-purged or waterproof. They are what I EDC at the moment in my jacket pocket.
The Vixen Artes 6x21 ED is available again and, even better, about 100€ cheaper than it was a few years ago.
I snapped one up immediately when I saw that.
I had very high expectations for this monocular, and it has only exceeded them.

The Vixen Artes 6x21 ED is available again and, even better, about 100€ cheaper than it was a few years ago.
I snapped one up immediately when I saw that.
I had very high expectations for this monocular, and it has only exceeded them.

It's definitely one of the best monoculars on the market. I actually wonder why Vixen has not made this as a binocular as well!

I actually wonder why Vixen has not made this as a binocular as well!
Unfortunately that would require a complete redesign with internal focussing lenses instead of the helical focuser-
The low magnifications of these monoculars would only require a simple doublet objective, and as there is no room for large prisms and and wide AFoVs, the eyepieces can be kept very simple too, maybe only 10 air/glass surfaces in total.
With good coatings, transmission in the mid 90s should be possible.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back