• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monocular recommendations (1 Viewer)

The lower mags seem better for this due to the greater depth of field, less focusing. I'm not often looking too far away, generally small passerines within 10-20 meters are what piques my interest, I'm too busy to be scanning great distances. Quite frustrating missing them all the time as I'm out in the countryside all day every day!
yes, I've found a general rule of birding is, you see the best birds when the binoculars are in the case. By the time the binos are out, the birds are gone.

Zeiss's 6x18 is wonderful for ultra-close focus. Lie down looking into a sea-shore rock pool, or a freshwater pond and use this monoc to observe all the amazing wildlife down there.
You’ve got one too! Mine just showed up recently and the close focus was completely unexpected. No need to screw on an extra lens, just pull the tube all the way out.

I picked this up, cheap, the view through is ok, very yellow cast but sharp, stable with a 5mm exit pupil and a just about useful magnification for my needs. This particular one is broken sadly so will be imminently returned (visible shards of glass rattling round inside!). If this one didn't have the errant shards I'd keep it and get a better case - It's a surprisingly useful format of optic and oh so neat.

I know Zeiss (turmon) and then docter made a similar product, Steiner still do and there is some information of an essenbach one but I suspect that 8x mag is a bit much for this type of thing, 6x would be good, 5x seems a little low. Does anyone know of such a thing of decent quality in current production? Did anyone continue to produce the docter one?

Also as an addendum it's interesting to view through it as it's moved from it's storage to usage position and see the porro prisms work their magic.

Thanks in advance.

WillIMG_20230424_195945420.jpg

Last edited:
Docter was bought out by Noblex and they continued making the Turmon for a while, but it seems it has been finally discontinued. I had the Steiner version and it was a piece of junk I promptly got rid of.

…6x would be good, 5x seems a little low. Does anyone know of such a thing of decent quality in current production?
Before completely dismissing 5x try to get your hands on the little Nikon 5x15. Between it and my Zeiss 6x18, my two favorite monoculars, so far.
The improved steadiness of these two lower magnification options actually had me wanting to try out the ultra shorty Zeiss 4x12, even though the 3x12 was absolutely on the low side for me.
The best thing about trying them yourself is that it takes everyone else’s opinion out of the equation, as we sometimes each have differing needs and preferences.
4A0B91A9-EEF1-484F-AE5A-A5E649279260.jpeg

Last edited:
Before completely dismissing 5x try to get your hands on the little Nikon 5x15. Between it and my Zeiss 6x18, my two favorite monoculars, so far.
The improved steadiness of these two lower magnification options actually had me wanting to try out the ultra shorty Zeiss 4x12, even though the 3x12 was absolutely on the low side for me.
The best thing about trying them yourself is that it takes everyone else’s opinion out of the equation, as we sometimes each have differing needs and preferences.
View attachment 1506187
Yes I may well have to give the mini Nikon a go, at closer ranger where I'll primarily be using it it's not too bad. Correct about the trial and error method, it's my usual mo but it's good to have suggestions, greatly appreciated - a 3mm exit pupils still useable too.

Thanks again.

Will

I have both the Nikon HG 5x15 and 7x15. The 5x15 is much easier to position your eye correctly in, at least with glasses. And yes, monoculars are harder to stabilize than binoculars so the lower magnification helps, while remaining useful.
I think it was one of your posts that gave me a push to go ahead and try out the little Nikon 5x15 and it's proved to be my most compact, but also workable option yet.

I have also had a bad experience with a Steiner product.
I have the 8x25 "Safari Ultrasharp" and while the optical quality and the glass is pretty decent -- I never saw a bino with worse glare control and ghosting. Horrible. I think it's a sad thing -- they have been making binos for so long, couldn't they figure out how to prevent ghosting and glare in all that time? The company exists since 1947 after all.

View attachment 1506187
How about a Zeiss 4x12 BINOCULAR! You don't see these that often. Very cool!
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I have both the Nikon HG 5x15 and 7x15. The 5x15 is much easier to position your eye correctly in, at least with glasses. And yes, monoculars are harder to stabilize than binoculars so the lower magnification helps, while remaining useful.
Thanks for the tip on the Nikon 5x15 HG Monocular. I have had a lot of different binoculars and the Nikon 5x15 is the best and most usable one I have ever had, and I had the Leica Trinovid 8x20 monocular. The Nikon is tiny but really comfortable in the hand with the hexagon shape versus the round ones. The optics are very sharp on-axis all the way to the edge, and it has a big FOV and is very bright in lowlight with the 3 mm EP.

The 5x is advantageous in a monocular because of the big DOF you don't have to focus as much, and it is steadier than the higher magnifications, especially when trying to hold it in the wind. I put a wrist lanyard on it and carried it in my left hand while walking the dog, and it was very useful spotting birds and ducks around the lake. I also got a good deal on it, picking it up for $120 new on eBay.

Here is a review on the Nikon HG 5x15 Monocular. It is interesting that there is a controversy over what the body is made out of. It seems it could be titanium or stainless steel. I think it is stainless steel.

Last edited:
Yes it seems 5x is a really nice magnification, I'm quite enjoying the red Russian pictured above, still nice and small but with a 5mm exit pupil so it's an easy walk in view in a very small package.

I just need to find a tiny case with a belt loop for it now - suggestions more than welcome!

I'm out wild camping tonight on the way to the Norfolk coast on the bike- birdforum in the tent in the middle of nowhere feels very civilized. Opticron 10x42 mono's my only optic for the next few days but it's more about the sounds to be honest, I look forward to the change of track when we get near the sea.

Will

Yes it seems 5x is a really nice magnification, I'm quite enjoying the red Russian pictured above, still nice and small but with a 5mm exit pupil so it's an easy walk in view in a very small package.

I just need to find a tiny case with a belt loop for it now - suggestions more than welcome!

I'm out wild camping tonight on the way to the Norfolk coast on the bike- birdforum in the tent in the middle of nowhere feels very civilized. Opticron 10x42 mono's my only optic for the next few days but it's more about the sounds to be honest, I look forward to the change of track when we get near the sea.

Will
Just carry it in your pocket. That is what I do. That way, it is protected until you use it. I don't believe it is waterproof, either.

I regret I sold Zeiss 6x20B monocular many years ago. Since several years I have Vixen 6x21 ED monocular. Outstanding quality but significantly bulkier than Zeiss 6x20. The design also makes it easy to accidently refocus just by holding it in the hand.
I have thought about Nikon 5x15. Much smaller than Vixen 6x21, and smaller than Zeiss 6x20 as well. 15,8mm eye relief means it may be sufficient for eyeglasses. And even if not completely satisfying it's still interesting.
If I don't see entire TFOV of 9deg with eyeglasses I maybe see 7deg. Which is still very usable.
I mean: a small monocular is a compromise. It's not about having an awesome viewing experience but just about seeing details not possible with naked eye and you can carry it in even a small jacket pocket. And it's so small no one notice you hold a magnification device in your hand when you are walking around.

Last edited:
William Lewis, post 23,
We have investigated the foldable monocular you show in your post in comparison with a number of other foldablel monoculars from Zeiss, Docter, Steiner etc. etc. The results are published on the WB-site of House of Outdoor.
Gijs van Ginkel

I use Leica Monovid 8x20 as monocular and sometimes with the close-up lens provided.

It is well protected in the provided case.
Excellent optics if you ask me.
In the beginning I do not knew how to handle it and was not easy to use. I learned how it is done (grasped in the palm) and now I have it with me every time I go out.
The cap (for the eyepiece) is loose but I do not care.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back