• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monocular recommendations (2 Viewers)

William Lewis

Wishing birdwatching paid the bills.
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm looking for a monocular to have on me all the time during my work as a gardener, attached to my belt like my secateurs, folding saw and trowel.

I currently have a good quality opticron 10x42 monocular that I use for bike touring etc but this lives in the handlebar bag, it's far too big to have on my belt all day.

I'm pretty sure pocket binoculars would be too big and fragile to being knocked out of collimation but could be wrong?

I suppose aperture size would be 25mm max and magnification would be best around 7/8x. I work in all seasons and weathers so waterproof and nitrogen filled would be essential, rubber armouring optional as it would be in the case most of the time.

If anyone had any experience with an instrument that might fit the bill it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Will

I have only every looked though a monocular once or twice.
At a recent Viking demonstration day at my local RSPB I looked through this:-

it was a lovely bright day and the monocular was O.K. and a definite improvement on the "Eye Ball, mark 1" but I didn’t have anything to compare it against other than my 8x32 ELs
I hadn’t realised it was such a low price

The Nikon High Grade 5x15 and 7x15 are tiny but excellent. They are not waterproof, however.

The Leica Monovid 8x20 is waterproof, but not as compact, and quite expensive.

Opticron's T4 WP and Viking's ED-M are also waterproof and much cheaper.

Any views on the Pentax vm? Having used mono's quite a bit I find the focusing on the barrel not great and the extended off to one side focusers make them almost as bulky as a binocular. The Pentax with 6x mag may have enough depth of field for the rocker style focuser to actually be effective but I've never seen it mentioned, it also has 2 settings so can work as close as a papillo, looks interesting and when someone asks me to diagnose a plant problem, fungus etc I could whip it out and look proficient!

The monovid looks good but like you say is mega pricey and probably too small to be practical, scopeviews were not a fan...

The Viking Cygnus looks like it may not stand a huge amount of abuse but like you say is very cheap!

I suspect the vortex may be a bit large?

Last edited:
Sorry, quick questions! Does the focusing work by drawing out the eye piece end of the tube and does the case have a belt loop?

Thank you!

Will

If it’s not too expensive I’d highly recommend the excellence of the 8x20 Leica Monovid. Best focuser on a monocular that I’ve yet to use.

The other two monoculars that I really liked are the Zeiss 6x18 and Nikon 5x15, which is also possibly the smallest reasonable option available.

Neither one is as ruggedly built as the Leica, or as likely to deal with the elements as well either, but the Zeiss 6x18 can focus down to about 8” and is at present what I carry with me all the time.

You mentioned the possibility of a small binocular too and with your other listed requirements I could only recommend the Leica 8x20 Ultravid. Such a favorite for me that I’ve acquired a total of five, with three still in my possession.
2D838921-3B64-4289-A016-FBA2392FBCB7.jpeg
E79DA12C-0553-4B6C-A8BA-587462FDC43B.jpeg985B1311-7270-455B-AB8C-A8D8ECFEC3C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Zeiss's 6x18 is wonderful for ultra-close focus. Lie down looking into a sea-shore rock pool, or a freshwater pond and use this monoc to observe all the amazing wildlife down there. Sea Anemones, Brittle Stars, Crabs, Marine Worms, Sea Slugs (beautiful animals) and more.

this doesn't quite fit your specs, but I love mine - very high quality optics - Vixen 6x21 monocular.

I actually followed this recommendation and got the Artes from a Japanese seller on eBay for $226 about a year ago. I believe they may have been discontinued, so if you want one, don't tarry. Very good monocular, but the expanding design means they are not nitrogen-purged or waterproof. They are what I EDC at the moment in my jacket pocket.

Sorry, quick questions! Does the focusing work by drawing out the eye piece end of the tube and does the case have a belt loop?

Yes, it's not internal focus like the Monovid, the tube extends as you focus closer, taking the monocular length from 100mm at infinity to 125mm at minimum focus distance.

The Artes case does not have a belt loop like the Monovid's, unfortunately, it's just a leatherette cuboid with a magnetic flap and a notch to let the neck loop through. I'm not sure leather is the best material if you are going to be exposed to the elements, however, you would probably be better off using a belt case designed for a flashlight or small cell phone.

The Monovid is basically one-half of a Ultravid 8x20. If you are considering binoculars, I'd go with the Swarovski CL Curio 7x21 instead, however.

I actually followed this recommendation and got the Artes from a Japanese seller on eBay for $226 about a year ago. I believe they may have been discontinued, so if you want one, don't tarry. Very good monocular, but the expanding design means they are not nitrogen-purged or waterproof. They are what I EDC at the moment in my jacket pocket.

Yes, it's not internal focus like the Monovid, the tube extends as you focus closer, taking the monocular length from 100mm at infinity to 125mm at minimum focus distance.

The Artes case does not have a belt loop like the Monovid's, unfortunately, it's just a leatherette cuboid with a magnetic flap and a notch to let the neck loop through. I'm not sure leather is the best material if you are going to be exposed to the elements, however, you would probably be better off using a belt case designed for a flashlight or small cell phone.

The Monovid is basically one-half of a Ultravid 8x20. If you are considering binoculars, I'd go with the Swarovski CL Curio 7x21 instead, however.
yes, I would say the optics match the higher-priced ones but the "expanding" focuser isn't as good. I love the case, very elegant, but it doesn't have a belt loop. It's good for a jacket pocket. The monocular does fit inside the case with the eyecup twisted open and the caps off. This lives in the glove box of my car.

To whip out something from a belt holster while gardening? I might want something a little bigger and more substantial. But then I'd probably prefer compact binos to a big, bulky monocular. The attraction of the Vixen is you're getting top-shelf optics for a low price and small size.

Dug up these old threads - Show us your Pocket Monocular and Pentax VM 6x21 WP Monocular/ 18x Microscope both an interesting read.

I have a larger monocular (too large for the belt, tried it again today and it kept getting in the way!) it focuses the same way as the monovid. I don't get on with them too well, bit fiddly and a touch slow. My typical use case is when I'm gardening, hear/see an interesting bird, and want to see what it is pronto before either the customer or my staff catch me or the bird flies off. I don't generally have much time to get the monocular out of the case, find the target, focus and not look too much like I'm not working!

The lower mags seem better for this due to the greater depth of field, less focusing. I'm not often looking too far away, generally small passerines within 10-20 meters are what piques my interest, I'm too busy to be scanning great distances. Quite frustrating missing them all the time as I'm out in the countryside all day every day!

I'd ordered the Pentax, and it arrived with the rocker switch come unglued in the box. Very flimsy construction, so I returned it for a refund.

The way I EDC my monocular is it's attached via the shoulder strap to a loop inside my left breast jacket pocket (I am right handed). When I need to, I just grab it, view then put it back. Tying the strap to the jacket ensures it can't fall. Much faster than a belt-mounted solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back