• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss lens durability (1 Viewer)

ColonelBlimp

What time is bird?
I am set on getting a Diascope 85, but I was wondering what the lens durability is like? Of course Leica coat theirs with quartz, and Swarovski do the same with Swarotop and Swarodur, both to stop damage and scratches, but what does Zeiss do?

I know they have Lotutec on the new ones but I don't think that that makes it any more scratch-resistant.

I own the 65 Diascope and have quite heavily used it for 38 months now in all kinds of weather. It is of course pre-LotuTec.
Just checked the big objective lens under a strong light very up close, can't see a single scratch, not even a hint of one, the only things I see are dust parts inside stuck to the inner surface of the objective lens. Quite a few of them, actually, but to me it's of no concern. As a besides I can inform you that I'm not a careful man in cleaning the scope's lenses. I never ever used cleaning fluid, nor distilled water, nor air brush blowers, nor special lens cloths. Cleaning is done by breathing on the lens, then wipe away the dirt/specks with a simple cotton hanky. On seawatches I sometimes squirt some tap water from my waterbottle on the lens, then dry it carelessly with a hanky. If I run out of water, I lick the lens clean and dry it.
Not quite the way most people clean their optics, but as I said, there's not a single scratch on the front lens.

Same goes for the ocular, or eyepiece lens; it's slightly concave so very easy to clean to the edges by breathing/licking then drying with a cotton hanky. Not a scratch on it, either.

I think we may assume the optics coatings are definitely scratch-resistant.

Oh, and I never use lens caps either; I carry the scope in my rucksack, objective lens down on a thick foam cushion on the bottom. I find it too fiddly to remove lens caps when I take the scope out.

Well, if you go for it - enjoy your 85.
Both Diascopes are great instruments.

Kind regards, Ronald

I am set on getting a Diascope 85, but I was wondering what the lens durability is like? Of course Leica coat theirs with quartz, and Swarovski do the same with Swarotop and Swarodur, both to stop damage and scratches, but what does Zeiss do?

I know they have Lotutec on the new ones but I don't think that that makes it any more scratch-resistant.

hello!
1) I have a 65 mm Diascope, and up to now durability has never been an issue.

2) As regards Zeiss's LotuTec, a similar coating is used by Swarovsky (EasyClean) and Leica (AquaDura). So we can safely assume their outer lens surfaces to be similar and to behave similiarly.

3) The new coatings are presumed to make cleaning (a lot?) easier, so there ought to be less opportunity to introduce scratches, which result mostly from accidents during cleaning.

4) With respect to pre-Lotutec models I would be very, and I say very, surprised if Zeiss lenses were in any way inferior to those of other top makers.
Someone would have noticed by now .....

If you like the Diascope, get one. it's a fabulous instrument.

Best, Thomas

I have had Zeiss bins for some years and certainly have never had any issues with scratches on lenses. Surely the same applies to their scopes as they are a highly reputable world leader in optics.

Hi All,

I have a Zeiss Diascope 85 since two years, and until now I have used in very different conditions (seawatching, rainy weather, tropical forests, etc.). I am not specially careful to clean with the different techniques suggeted by professional photographers and books, and I use only the Zeiss' blue cloth to wipe out the dirty pieces. I have absolutely good experiences about the strong and sound surface of this scope lenses. No scratches!

Best regards

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back