• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro - Leica - Zeiss - condensation on eye pieces (1 Viewer)

Bako

Slovakia
I would like to ask the owners of NL Pure and e.g. Leica or Zeiss to try the test - condensation on eye pieces. This test could be very similar to the one in the attached video.
According to some information, Swarovski has stopped using the Swaroclean around 2020, it has been discontinued on NL's for environmental reasons. Leica still uses Aqua Dura and Zeiss uses LotuTec. These coatings repel water and make the lenses easy to clean.

AquaDura:
The coating raises the surface tension of different materials. In practice, that means that when water comes onto the eyepiece or the objective lens' surface, it forms bigger droplets than it normally would. Due to the gravitational force, bigger droplets are easier to slide off the lens. Furthermore, if someone exhales onto the lens without AquaDura it fogs up. With AquaDura it also fogs up, but for a really short amount of time. That allows you to use the binoculars better in adverse conditions. Also, it prevents water, oil, dirt and other particles from sticking to the surface. It also mildly protects the lenses from scratches.

LotuTec:
Dirt doesn't stand a chance on the LotuTec surface treatment: the CleanCoat layer smoothes the surface of the lenses, so dirt and dust do not stick to the surface of the lenses, and lens care is very easy. Completely invisible! Thanks to the moisturizing properties of the surface treatment, water immediately slides off the lenses - like a lotus flower. This is an attractive bonus, especially in the case of anti-reflective lenses, because thanks to the improved reduction of reflections, you will notice that they are dirty sooner (compared to lenses without such a surface layer).

Who can do this test Swaro - Leica, or Swaro - Zeiss, it would be very helpful. I can't believe that Swaro binoculars (eye pieces) don't have any water resistant coatings now.

I remember it being discussed here (sorry - didn't have time to find a link) that these types of coatings (LotuTec etc) are much less durable than anti-reflection coatings. It would be interesting to see how much LotuTec remains on well used FLs etc...

I remember it being discussed here (sorry - didn't have time to find a link) that these types of coatings (LotuTec etc) are much less durable than anti-reflection coatings. It would be interesting to see how much LotuTec remains on well used FLs etc...
Thanks for your reply, I didn't know that. I'm going to look for these posts.

Bako, post1,
All coatings used on the exterior lenses ofbinulars are waterproof, that means they do not disappear when becoming wet. Lotutec and comparable coatings are water repellent coatings, they have no effect on the color representation of the binocular images, one can compare them with fully transparant paint. These water repellent coatings are convenient, but they were not used for many decades and observers had no trouble using their binoculars; look for example all the military binoculars used in the time period 1900-1980.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks for your posts, I just found the threads where they solve this problem.

I think the video is a flawed test.

He was probably using the noctivid before the test, thus warming up the ocular lens.

This will of course decrease subsequent fogging, and speed up the evaporation.

I think the video is a flawed test.

He was probably using the noctivid before the test, thus warming up the ocular lens.

This will of course decrease subsequent fogging, and speed up the evaporation.
that's a very good comment. so it would be interesting if someone do this test correctly, who has different alpha binos at home.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back