• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will grape jelly bring in the bees? (1 Viewer)

I had no problem with bees for a long time...... Until this year. This year, the bees swarmed my feeder that had serves jelly and nectar. I took it down for awhile and then put it back up, and the bees are gone for now. There are some oriole feeders that serve only nectar that might be bee proof, so you could also get one of those.

I really wished to try the jelly and fruit. But may skip that...

Maybe fruit and mealworms. Last year we had issues with bees horrible on the hummingbird feeders. Coating them after raccoon tipped them to drink spilling the sugar water down the sides.

Is there a special mix you put in the nectar feeders?

You are so lucky to have orioles coming to your bird feeders - I live in the PNW and so far, despite hanging orange halves filled with grape jelly, all I have managed to attract is bees!! I do have Hummingbird feeders and have found that the Perky Pet type feeders leak and attract bees like magnets. Duncraft makes a so called bee proof oriole feeder but I've talked to people who say the holes are too big, it leaks and bees get into it. Hummzinger makes a nice saucer type feeder that is made for hummingbirds but orioles can drink from it as well.

You can use the same homemade sugar solution as for hummingbirds, which is 1/4 c of pure cane sugar, such as C & H, to 1 Cup of water. Just as for hummingbirds, you don't need to buy expensive mixes. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back