• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

I swore I posted this a little while ago, post seems to have disappeared! I will post again:

Does anyone know who had the lovely find of 8 Bee-eaters today please - how fabulous!:t::t::t:

Accidental Suppression!
It looks as if I have been guilty of the above!

The story: whilst out birding yesterday (in a spare hour before actually going to do some work!) I came across a very showy pair of Hobby. They were literally flying around my head (at times) and I thought in the 30 mins I had left it would be a fun opportunity to try out the 'focus elsewhere and shot' method of photography that bridge cameras need for fast moving birds. I would occasionally just enjoy watching the pair overhead as they caught insects and sometimes through the bins to watch the finer details. Whilst doing this I also noted Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and Buzzard, as well as various corvids enjoying to calm air!

It wasn't until I got home to look at my pictures of the Hobbies that I noticed one picture that looked very 'weird'. 'Ha!' I thought, 'in that picture it looks just like a Red-footed Falcon, I'll post in on facebook just to confuse everyone!' Not unsurprisingly people that I'd been to Lakenheath, but the more people commented the more worried I got! I went back to the pics (some of which were in the Recycle bin!) to see if I had any others. There were five taken in the same 'burst', snuggling in between many pictures of Hobbies - the other four were all blank sky!

Having now asked some good friends and reliable birders to check it out they have all come to the same conclusion (well all except one, who wondered if there was some freak possibility that a picture of a Hobby could be taken that completely resembles a male Red-footed Falcon), my excuse is it must have flown straight through whilst my camera was at my eye!

It will be looked for by a certain local tomorrow - thank you Mr Saunt! - so hopefully, it might still be in the area (and anyone desperate who lives south of Norwich can PM me)!

Attachments

• S0762772 (2).jpg
    S0762772 (2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 202
  • S0762772 (800x600).jpg
    S0762772 (800x600).jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Dave's Redfoot.JPG
    Dave's Redfoot.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 260
Titchwell May 9th

Today’s highlights

Common sandpiper – 1 Patsy’s reedbed
Greenshank – 1 Patsy’s reedbed
Little ringed plover – 1 Patsy’s reedbed
Red crested pochard – drake on fresh marsh
Hobby – 1 over visitor centre

Paul

Stint on North Scrape today challenged to be a Little Stint rather than Temminck's Stint as previously reported this morning. Also a couple of whinchats, white wagtails and a ringtail harrier species (probably a female montagu's). Large numbers of swifts over Pat's Pool which then very quickly were parted by a rather show off hobby as it cut through them - missed!... am orf darn sourff this weekend. Good birding norfolk peeps.

Titchwell May 10th

Today’s highlights

Temminck’s stint – 1 on fresh marsh all day although very elusive in SE corner
Little ringed plover – 4 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 2 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – pair on fresh marsh
Velvet scoter – 1 offshore

Paul

The photo of this Wheatear, at West Runton this morning, was obtained by using the car as a mobile hide.

Interesting patterns were made on the grass in the attempts to get the sun at the right angle.

The image is uncropped- that’s how close she was.

Attachments

• 049pse.jpg
    049pse.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 181
The photo of this Wheatear, at West Runton this morning, was obtained by using the car as a mobile hide.

Interesting patterns were made on the grass in the attempts to get the sun at the right angle.

The image is uncropped- that’s how close she was.
Lovely picture John – cars are very useful hides indeed, some of my best pictures have been photographed from the car.

The Woodpigeons in my neighbour's tree have fledged now and one of the fledglings has taken up residence in my garden. Well, there is not a lot else being posted here at the moment. ;)

Ron

Attachments

• Young-Woodpigeon-1-small.jpg
    Young-Woodpigeon-1-small.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Young-Wood-Pigeon-2-small.jpg
    Young-Wood-Pigeon-2-small.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Very nice Grey-headed Wag in the Eye field this morning for about 5mins only.. A subspecies I have never seen before.. So was nice to finally bump into one!
Also at Cley L Stint, yellow Wag, a few White Wags, Whinchat, LRP, Little Terns and a few Swifts and Dunlin through

For any one watching raptors in mid Norfolk, beware of an exceptionally pale Common Buzzard in the Tittleshall-Mileham area, from below it looks superficially like a pale phase Booted Eagle. Certainly a striking looking bird and the whitest example of a buzzard I have ever seen.

For any one watching raptors in mid Norfolk, beware of an exceptionally pale Common Buzzard in the Tittleshall-Mileham area, from below it looks superficially like a pale phase Booted Eagle. Certainly a striking looking bird and the whitest example of a buzzard I have ever seen.

There's one nearby that is doing a reasonably good impression of Short-toed Eagle (well on plumage, anyway)!!

Did anyone else see the pair of sacred ibis at hickling broad nwt reserve today? I saw a pair flying over the reserve, anyone have any thoughts on the origin of these birds? Thanks also present wood and common sandpipers, bittern, hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back