• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas Shopping (1 Viewer)

AndyII

United States
Good evening all,

I'm soliciting advice on a Christmas present for my wife.

She currently uses a Nikon D3300, and I'd like to get her an upgrade as her bird photography increases in scale. Her primary lens for birds is the 200-500 f5.6, which she likes.

I'm only "internet-deep" on DSLR knowledge, so I'm interested to hear some recommendations. I'd like to stay with Nikon since we already have several lenses (and I will take her current D3300 for my own budding interest).

At a glance I suppose the D810, D500, D750, and D610 are the most likely replacements.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

I wouldn't overlook the D7200 - after a lot of deliberation on BF and a visit to my camera shop, I went for the D7200 / 300mm PF combo, and have been well pleased with the results. I considered the D3300 carefully before following advice on this forum and going with the D7200. IMHO it would be a significant upgrade for your wife, including:
- better weather sealing
- higher dynamic range
- better buffer
- separate dials for aperture and shutter speed (really important practical consideration)...
You also have to consider that all the cameras on your list are a significant upgrade in size and weight, which may or may not be relevant for your wife (if she is already using 200-500 lens, perhaps not). The D7200 is also bigger and heavier, but not by as much as, say, the D500. Its also a lot cheaper than the D500...I don't know about you, but my wife (who also likes photography) would be overjoyed with a D7200, but would accuse me of wastefulness if I presented her with a D500 :). After all, the difference in price would buy an awful lot of perfume / meals out etc...or if photography is definitely more her thing, a teleconverter to take advantage of the f8 focussing, another 'upgrade' feature of the D7200!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back