• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CL Companion 8x30 (2 Viewers)

I appreciate the responses from those who were able to answer my questions. As of now I think I'm going to go with the EL8x32's for her and then try to find the northern lights bag. I'm sure my dealer or one of my buddies that are sponsored can get me one from SONA.

Slightly odd attitude....
I tested these quite extensively a while back, side by side against others, as I was keen on the format and these showed promise.
But as I didn't buy them, and obviously don't own them, I will keep my thoughts on them, and why I didn't buy them to myself.
Enjoy your day(y)

What's odd is those who feel the need to put their opinions onto those who don't want them and can't respect that. I asked something very specifically and I have my reasons, reasons that I don't need to justify, if that's an issue for you then too bad.

Redneckbmxer24,

If you have been on many forums you will get other opinions especially optics.
Remember one gets more flies from honey than vinegar.

I'm on a lot of forums. If someone wants to waste their time that they'll never get back giving their opinion to someone who doesn't want it and won't consider it, that's fine. There are a lot of opinions and I was looking for specific ones and I got a few of those and I appreciate them. Thankfully I don't have much interest in catching flies either.

I appreciate the responses from those who were able to answer my questions. As of now I think I'm going to go with the EL8x32's for her and then try to find the northern lights bag. I'm sure my dealer or one of my buddies that are sponsored can get me one from SONA.

What's odd is those who feel the need to put their opinions onto those who don't want them and can't respect that. I asked something very specifically and I have my reasons, reasons that I don't need to justify, if that's an issue for you then too bad.
Hey my friend, it's no problem to me.
But I feel that it's a little odd if you only want opinions from folk who own it, as they will very probably all be positive, or they wouldn't own it.
I understand you may not want opinions about other optics... I get that... but there is a wealth of optics knowledge and experience on here, and I would have thought comments from anyone with experience of the CL would have been of use to you.
I hope you get it sorted anyway.

But I feel that it's a little odd if you only want opinions from folk who own it, as they will very probably all be positive, or they wouldn't own it.
I understand you may not want opinions about other optics... I get that... but there is a wealth of optics knowledge and experience on here, and I would have thought comments from anyone with experience of the CL would have been of use to you.
He will find out soon enough.

I find it slightly confounding that your now keen to buy an EL when you've lambasted anyone who said anything about a binocular other than the CL. It turn out those suggestions from well meaning members, who've taken time to respond, may well have been quite useful.

I'm considering the door to suggestions slightly ajar since you've taken one and if I were getting a similar gift for my better half would take more than one glance at the Leica 7x35 retrovid.

Although I responded, I too was a little surprised at the somewhat aggressive rejection of opinions of non-owners by a new member to the forum.
Personally, I would not buy a binocular I had not tried myself, but there are a handful of members on the forum whose individual assessments of a (borrowed) instrument I would value more highly than those of several owners or websites..

John

Last edited:
I'm on a lot of forums. If someone wants to waste their time that they'll never get back giving their opinion to someone who doesn't want it and won't consider it, that's fine. There are a lot of opinions and I was looking for specific ones and I got a few of those and I appreciate them. Thankfully I don't have much interest in catching flies either.
There are many people including myself who read each post pertaining to the CL with interest, so it’s not a waste of time.

The Cl is a great pair of bins.... very nice...they feel great in my hands. The Nikon HG is just as good and is a lot less $....so for that, I would go against the Swaro grain and pick up the Nikon. It is small, or feels a lot smaller ...almost like a toy but it is good.

Now....look at the 7x35 Leica too. Size wise is it just as small as either of those but I feel a lot better in terms of sharpness and ease.

The bugger ...the real bugger about the Swaro is that the diopter is about as poor of a design as I have seen and very difficult, from my experience to get it 'right'. The Nikon and of course the Leica are much better..... jim
As a very satisfied owner of the 7x35 Retrovid I recently tried the 8x30CLs side by side with my bins. I love the Leica image, but the CLs were right up with them, were noticeably lighter weight and are completely waterproof. The Retrovids have a cooler, classic Trinovid look, but from a practical standpoint, I would pick the CLs.

Wow, really a great love gift idea, dude !! 😃
I love these binoculars too much, and give you a few words without knowing if they will be useful. When you know a woman well, her tastes, etc., it's quite easy to find the right gifts... And for example with clothes or shoes, if the size needs to be adjusted, it's easy to do that afterwards... But with binoculars, it could be another story !!
I'm telling you this because 8 or 9 months back, I wanted to give myself a present, lol !... these CL Companion, which I had been looking at with envy for months !! I'm a Swaro guy since always, and wanted a smaller, lighter pair, and moreover I find the design of these really very successful.
So I made an appointment in a showroom not far away, telling them that I was coming to try and probably buy these so coveted CLs, and that while I was there, I would also like to test just for fun, a pair of NLx32, and Zeiss SFx32.
I was like a kid when I arrived !!!
It's not an ordinary store in a city street, but a showroom with top-of-the-range optical equipment where you come by appointment, and can stay for hours on end testing your future binoculars in front of an open landscape.
'My 'CL Companions were waiting for me, I was so happy to hold them, touch them... But a surprise was waiting for me !!!... I'm used to binoculars, I don't necessarily need hours or days... And unfortunately, with these Companions, it's impossible for me to avoid blackout problems !!! No matter how much I adjust the eyecups in all positions, still this annoying problem with my eyes !!!
I put some balm on my pain by leaving with NL Pure's, but I was a little sad all the same, lol !
It can be difficult to offer binoculars without testing them... I hope they will suit her, because once taken in hand, it will be 'delicate' to find another brand with such a successful and beautiful model ! In fact, I don't know of any, these binoculars are so unique !
I've read and seen everything about the CL Companions, tests, reviews, etc... I don't know if you saw this one, one of the best, because the guy really speaks with his heart about these binoculars :

(°v°)
I know this may be off-topic but I had a similar experience with a set of Opticrons HRWP (I am not very wealthy) and could not get comfortable with them at all, In despair, I wanted to send them back but decided to give them a bit longer so we might Gel together, ten days later we clicked (so to speak) and all became rosy in the garden, sometimes it takes time to get used to a purchase, I know now that I would have missed out if I had returned them.
I hope you are pleased with the purchase, and happy birding Sir with whatever you use.

I know this may be off-topic but I had a similar experience...
I hope you are pleased with the purchase, and happy birding Sir with whatever you use.
Not 'off topic' at all, Robert !
I understand what you said, but after having spent 4 or 5 hours testing these CLs, without ever being able to avoid these blackouts, it didn't inspire me... and I've been used to adjusting, testing, binoculars for a very long time.

As said previously, instead of these CL's, I left with NL's, (10x32), and of course, every day I am the happiest of men bringing them to my eyes !! An incredible pleasure and emotion ! 😃

Not 'off topic' at all, Robert !
I understand what you said, but after having spent 4 or 5 hours testing these CLs, without ever being able to avoid these blackouts, it didn't inspire me... and I've been used to adjusting, testing, binoculars for a very long time.

As said previously, instead of these CL's, I left with NL's, (10x32), and of course, every day I am the happiest of men bringing them to my eyes !! An incredible pleasure and emotion ! 😃
Thank you for the reply, I was thinking about these (Swarovski CL 8x30) ) but it would take nearly a whole year of savings as I am a Carer for a parent and money does not flow in my direction.
My first and probably final decision will be the Habicht 8x30, I think I am just exploring options as the Habicht is becoming more rare in the UK or in case I change my mind at the eleventh hour, the Habicht does look old (more me) and the CL and others of that ilk are a bit too flash, maybe I should take up Knitting instead?
£1000 ballpark is a lot of money for anybody, I have no car so no way to review these beforehand and ordering and then returning them is an unnecessary hassle, do the groundwork and make the right decision to begin with, that is why to rely on you fine chaps.
The NL pure is a pipe dream for me as is anything in that range, these will be the last Bins I ever buy so getting it right is a must.
Thank you for your time, many happy days birding to you and yours Sir.

I have the CLs as well as some 8.5x42 ELs and 8x20 Trinivids. Because of their combination of size and quality the CLs get by far most use of the three. You will not regret getting one, they are sharp almost to the edge, handle beautifully, and will last a lifetime and beyond. As you can see, I am a big fan.

robert kirk9765, post 35,
If money is inhibiting your choice, it may be worthwile to check the GPO PASSION ED 8X32. In my opinion, after we have investigated it in comparison with other (also more expensive 8x32 binoculars, see the WEB-site of House of Outdoor, I was convinced by the quality of this binocular for a very resonable price. Designed by a former Zeiss employee and produced in a lower wage country, but quality control seems wel done.
Gijs van Ginkel

robert kirk9765, post 35,
If money is inhibiting your choice, it may be worthwile to check the GPO PASSION ED 8X32. In my opinion, after we have investigated it in comparison with other (also more expensive 8x32 binoculars, see the WEB-site of House of Outdoor, I was convinced by the quality of this binocular for a very resonable price. Designed by a former Zeiss employee and produced in a lower wage country, but quality control seems wel done.
Gijs van Ginkel
I tried the GPO Passion ED 8x32, and they didn't impress me at all. Very MIC build quality. I would take a Vortex Viper HD 8x42 or Nikon M7 8x42 any day of the week over the GPO and twice on Tuesday at the $500 price point.

To me the CL shows a saturated cast, very deep rich colours which I enjoyed immensely, however after having had the NLs and looking back through the CL again I find the fov to restrictive.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back