• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummigbird Predators (1 Viewer)

Dana Dana

While checking out some hb links I came across this title and found a freaky photo of a caught hummingbird.
I am glad to say we have nothing so predatory here.

I have only seen one story where a hummingbird was speared by another long beak, a woodpecker in the US somewhere.
Around here it seems more likely that a hb will stab a chickadee in the back.

Have a look at the pics in this link.
http://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hummingbird-predators.html

Fascinating photos. I've never cared much for large insects but now I really dislike them!

There was an account in one of the birding magazines a few years back of a Ruby-throat being captured & devoured by a Scarlet Tanager before the horrified eyes of birders on an Audubon (I think) field trip. The hummingbird was hovering in front of the tanager inspecting it--as hummers often do when confronted with unfamiliar brightly color objects in their environment--when the latter leant forward & gulped it down, plucking it out of the air like fruit from a tree.

I've actually removed a Hummer from an Orb Weaver's Web. Felt bad destroying the web completely but I would have felt a lot worse had the Hummer been destroyed.

For me, Praying Mantis, a protected species in some areas because they are often persecuted by the ignorant and are valuable to humans as insect predators, are as cool as Hummers. (And I'm not aware of any movies about giant hummingbirds threatening to destory the world--just one sign of how cool mantis are ;-). Think it's pretty well known that they occasionally take a Hummer, but it's gotta be an insignificant source of predation.

Jim

In the U.S., it's the imported Chinese Mantids, not our smaller native species, that are eating hummingbirds. I blogged about this issue a few years back:

Life, Birds, and Everything: Another dangerous Chinese import

Very interesting. Did not know there were no native large mantids. (And find myself disappointed as you were). And didn't know they were first imported in the 19th century.

Have come across some behemoths in the U.S. that looked like this: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/bugs/praying-mantis/ Not sure if that's the Chinese, but looks even larger than 4 inches to me.

Jim

Hummer & Mantis

I'm known as Foothill Fotog in the forum where I first posted this linked GIF animation. The action happened about 30 feet from my deck at Lake Amador in California's foothills. It was captured with a strong telephoto lens.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2662/hummermantisani200.gif

This is a Photoshop combined combo (from a burst series) of a Annas male checking out a mantis that was perched atop "his" feeder.

Mark

Attachments

• Hum  Mantis combo 1024h.jpg
    Hum Mantis combo 1024h.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 74
Hummingbirds use spider webs to build nests, and eat the spiders, too, but sometimes the bird gets caught, and then the spider wins.

I've read of roadrunners who learn to jump down from a roof and catch hummingbirds at feeders. Hang your feeder as far back from he edge of the roof as you can, and as high up as possible to make this difficult.

A very typical spot for an insect predator to like in wait is near a nectar producing flower. Not much bigger than many insects, a hummingbird is indeed a potential victim to a large mantis. I always remove large mantis from my hummingbird flowers. Such predation is commonly reported.

Squirrels are opportunistic predators, and will eat chicks and eggs of various species. Some hummingbirds make it a point to nest near a hawk's nest, where other predators such as squirrels, jays, and crows are kept at bay. There could be some risk involved, but depending on the hawk, the risk may be lower since hawks will ignore the eggs, I would think, and only consider the adult birds, or fledging chicks.

House cats are perhaps the worst. As an alien invasive species, house cats don't get instinctive recognition as predators, and some cats learn to sit under feeders, and swat down birds as they hover. Hang your feeders as high as you can

Finally, it's not predation, but hummingbirds will kill each other in territorial squabbles. Your feeder didn't cause the hummingbird's death. The instinct to protect his territory caused the fight. The stronger, faster, more agile bird will survive, and breed, and this improves the species. Don't be too sad, just respect the lesson, and honor the victor.

In Central and South America, the Tiny Hawk catches hummingbirds on a regular basis and could be their main predator in some places. These American Robin sized raptors seem to stake out areas frequented by hummingbirds and then catch them by quickly flying through with the hopes of snatching an unwary bird.

I have also seen the sharpie-sized Barred Forest Falcon attack lekking Brown Violet-ears (without success). I have never heard of Sharp-shinned Hawks catching hummingbirds. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening?

I have never heard of Sharp-shinned Hawks catching hummingbirds. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening?

Here's what BNA on-line has to say about predation on Ruby-throated Hummingbirds:

"Probably not a significant risk for adult birds in temperate zone. . .. Known predators of adults include Loggerhead Shrike. . . and Sharp-shinned Hawk. . .. Most common predator is probably house cat. . ..When faced with attack from aerial predators, adults flee into dense cover. Blue Jay . . .seen to kill and eat nestling Ruby-throated Hummingbird. . .; frequency of this occurrence unknown. Predation on eggs unreported. During mobbing of Blue Jay by birds of several other species, a single female came in and hovered nearby but did not vocalize or otherwise participate."

When I was at the El Dorado lodge near Santa Marta, Colombia, there was a Bat Falcon that would pick off hummers in the morning before they came out of torpor - easy pickings, and a lot easier than trying to catch them once they warm up. At higher elevations and/or colder climates, this may be a pretty common thing, but I have no idea.

Some where a few years back I saw something that said someone saw a bullfrog catch a hummer.

I used to read a pond site regularly, and one person there said that they had a bullfrog that caught and ate hummingbirds.

I've seen visiting Kestrels take House Sparrows here; I don't know why they couldn't catch hummingbirds too.

Helen

Lost a female Ruby-throated almost 3 summers ago to 3 Eurasian Tree Sparrows here, in backyard. Very upsetting. Seen the activity and didnt recognize what was happening until I went outside to get a closer look. One scenario suggested to me was ETS's mistook hummer for a sphinx or clearwing moth. Seems plausible, we have a number of both here. Have not seen any other interaction between the two birds, before or since.

I've never seen any on my feeders, but I try to hang them away from areas where I've seen praying mantis frequent! I saw one grab a swallowtail butterfly and shred it before my eyes! That was just sheer coincidence as I was trying to photograph the butterfly at the time! Happened so quick!

Wow I had no idea. I was sure that hummingbirds had predators but never would have imagined the Praying Mantis. The Mantis is one of my favorite insects and I enjoy admiring them as much as I do birds and other critters.

They blend in so well with stems of plants that you barely notice them. I went back to find the picture and it was a monarch! I didn't notice it until I was just ready to snap the photo. They love to hang out in the thistle where they know their prey will frequent.

Hmmmm.....trying again! The photo didn't come thru on the previous post!

Attachments

• Monarch Butterfly Sept2011 007-1 (Small).jpg
    Monarch Butterfly Sept2011 007-1 (Small).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back