• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compacts w/ long ER? (2 Viewers)

Yippeekiay

Besides Vortex, are there any brands w/ enough ER (17-18 or more) for eyeglass wearers? 10x36 Monarchs have 15mm and are usable but not without discomfort.
Thanks.

I have no trouble with the Leica 8x20 Ultravid (16mm but very shallow cups), also the Olympus Tracker 8x25 reverse porro (17mm??), the Pentax 9x28 has plenty (18mm). I'm sure others will chime in with good suggestions.

Cup depth really makes a big difference though. Of the three I mentioned the Leica probably has the best usable ER simply because of the cup design.

Hope this helps.

For a very affordable model, Pentax has has a couple 8x25 but I have never used them. One real sleeper is the Olympus 8x25 Magellan. Not phase coated, but a very usable optic quality.

As KD said, the Leica is very good. The rated ER is mystifying on these as I have found the 15mm specs to be perfectly usable with specs. I adore the Ultravid and Trino. I also use the Nikon 8x20. The Nikon 8x20 is very prone to stray light when used near bright sources (sun, etc) but I have not noticed that with the Leica, per se. Incidentally, the late model Trinovids are absolutely awesome and I feel you lose nothing with respect to the UV and in fact I consider the build quality better in the Trino. (8x20 that is, 10x25 Trino has too long a near focus for me).

Not what you asked but the best solution to your question is to try out as many as you can. You may be surprised. You cannot go wrong with an alpha 8x20. I now only rarely use my full size bins :)

Not what you asked but the best solution to your question is to try out as many as you can. You may be surprised. You cannot go wrong with an alpha 8x20. I now only rarely use my full size bins :)[/QUOTE]

Actually any and all info on compact bin's is appreciated. I didn't want to imply that Vortex is out because that's the front runner right now. Just looking for more options to wade through. Plus, Vortex has so many models I was hoping to find some real world reviews. As far as the Alpha's... only in my dreams. Although if I ever do own a pair (of the big dogs) they'll have to be compacts. Basically, if I'm going to spend more than $4-500, it'll be on a pair of 8x32 se's first, then maybe the compacts. Right now I'm just enjoying the search.
I did see the Pentax and though I have the spotting scope, which I love BTW, I'm a little leery for lack of ED glass. (Almost essential for budget minded quality bins nowadays). Thinking about the Nikon LXL's got me started on this path until i saw the 15mm ER. I could've sworn it was longer. Maybe just got mixed-up w/ the Fujinon 7x22's. But like you say, "try out as many" as possible which, again, is a lot of the fun.

Adding the other "top compact" into the list: the Zeiss 8x20. Works fine with eyeglasses for me as a moderate myope. Again, very close eyecups so they don't throw away any ER. It's an apparently boring optimization of a dull part (which I suspect requires rather clever engineering) that makes a big difference.

If you are looking at the top bins then try them out to see if you like the ergos (the single hinge was a win for me).

Also search here for the multiple compact bin threads. And they all have a common conclusion. I think most discerning/obsessed bin users have concluded that in compact bins the top bins really are the most usable by a long way. The gap seems much wider there than with larger (mid and full size) bins as the compacts are so "near the limit" of various compromises (size, weight, optical quality, exit pupil size, ER, FOV, transmission. etc).

If you get sticker shock try to get a second hand pair or an ex-demo pair (e.g. Cameralandny.com demos are very good). Mine are CLNY demos and I'm very happy with them -- they go out with me most of the times I don't take a larger bin (they're "just in case" bins).

Well, I gone n dunnit again. Got me some Zeiss Victory 8x20's on the way. The blowout price at Cameraland almost gave me heart palpitations. Imagine that. Victories for less than the price of Conquests!! Could have used them today as a Pileated woodpecker flew over and some Great crested flycatchers mucked about in a tree on the job site.
My only concern is that I'm a south paw and it looks like the hinge is made for righties.(sp?)
As always I truly appreciate the wealth of knowledge to be had on this website.

Got a small package in the mail yesterday... Boy you weren't kidding when it comes to "usable" compacts. I actually have an older pair of Bushnell 10x25's that was a large factor in my compact aversion. These Victories aren't even in the same town let alone ballpark. I stacked them with my 10x42 SE's, 8x43 Zen ED and 10x36 Monarchs looking out the open back door (raining like a sieve today). Gotta say these wonderful little bins make a perfect addition to the first two and pretty much squashed the Monarchs.
The hinge being offset will require a bit of ambidextrous-ish-osity-ness but the ergonomics make them even more usable than my SE's. Having both hands so close to my face gives a bunch of opportunities for "spot welds" increasing stability especially considering I usually "float" my bins over my glasses with lite contact points here and there.
I hate even bringing up a drawback but I can see where the ingenious eye cup design could allow inadvertent scratching having so little recess. That and the diopter adjustment is just so darn small it's tough to adjust which fortunately only happens every so often.
Can't wait to get them in the field once all the mundane domesticity is taken care of today.
Ya-HOOO!!!

On a side note, I got all excited yesterday when I saw the $100 rebate Zeiss is offering for "New" LRF's and Victory compacts. Then I realized these are Demo's. That would've been too cool for words.

I can tell you will enjoy the Victory 8x20 I know I have. They are truly amazing and will be with you always to take advantage of the unexpected.

Got a small package in the mail yesterday... Boy you weren't kidding when it comes to "usable" compacts. I actually have an older pair of Bushnell 10x25's that was a large factor in my compact aversion. These Victories aren't even in the same town let alone ballpark. I stacked them with my 10x42 SE's, 8x43 Zen ED and 10x36 Monarchs looking out the open back door (raining like a sieve today). Gotta say these wonderful little bins make a perfect addition to the first two and pretty much squashed the Monarchs.
The hinge being offset will require a bit of ambidextrous-ish-osity-ness but the ergonomics make them even more usable than my SE's. Having both hands so close to my face gives a bunch of opportunities for "spot welds" increasing stability especially considering I usually "float" my bins over my glasses with lite contact points here and there.
I hate even bringing up a drawback but I can see where the ingenious eye cup design could allow inadvertent scratching having so little recess. That and the diopter adjustment is just so darn small it's tough to adjust which fortunately only happens every so often.
Can't wait to get them in the field once all the mundane domesticity is taken care of today.
Ya-HOOO!!!

On a side note, I got all excited yesterday when I saw the $100 rebate Zeiss is offering for "New" LRF's and Victory compacts. Then I realized these are Demo's. That would've been too cool for words.

Congrats on your new Victory compacts!

Do you happen to know if they got the LotuTec coating on the lenses?
I thought I might have read somewhere the newer compacts have that too, like the bigger models.

I'm interested in a good compact. I seem to be on a route for bins that excell in just one feature. The Canon 18x50 IS's for maximum detail performance, I have already. An outstanding big aperture owling bin for the night might be next.
A good compact for maximum portability would be nice, too.

Best regards,

Ronald

Congrats on your new Victory compacts!

Do you happen to know if they got the LotuTec coating on the lenses?
I thought I might have read somewhere the newer compacts have that too, like the bigger models.

I did a bit of searching before buying these and I found this thread, http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=162905 and according to posts #27 and 32 my particular model (522035) has dielectric coatings on the prisms but no Lotu tec on the lenses. For one reason or another I don't think cameraland demos would have the Lotu tec as a rule but you may be able to ask for that specific order number (522078) and still get a deal. Worth a shot at the least.
As far as one feature binoculars go, I would recommend nikon SE 8x32's. The one feature being a phenomenal view!! Just missed out on a pair at Astromart the other day but ,Hey that's my luck.
Though the Victories do quite nicely. We've had them out hiking and biking through heat and rain and all's well. The only possible gripe would be the excessively small neck strap. Then again I guess that's the idea behind compacts...

Yippeekiay,

Thanks very much, that's very good info!

I'll be wanting the LotuTec 8x20's so I can use them in foul weather.
They'll come in handy when I mount my 18x50 Canon IS's on my tripod. Nice combo.
My Canon 10x30 IS's do that job for now, but I want something smaller to put in my pocket. The 18x50's are around my neck anyway, when not mounted.

Some day in the future, when I have to change my spectacles, I'll be having LotuTec glass in them as well. Then I'll finally have clear vision in the rain!

The Nikon SE 8x32 is not for sale in The Netherlands, as far as I know; I don't like to order from abroad, want to grab and hold a bin before I buy, so I'll never know what I'm missing. Same goes for the Zens, mail-order only.
Not that I care much, we still have a dazzling number of fine optics in a host of shops within travelling distance.

I tested the Victory Compacts 8x20 briefly on the Dutch 2008 Bird Festival, and found them very, very sharp and bright. The Leica 8x20 Ultravids were in the same class, IMO, and definitely sharper than the 8x20 Trinovids I tried in comparison.

The Swarovski 8x20's I tried some 8 years ago I didn't like much, they didn't impress me.
The focus wheel on the far side of the hinge was odd, and too fiddly for comfortable use in such a tiny binocular.

Thanks again for your info, I really appreciate that.

Enjoy your compacts!

Best regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back