• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Variable Sunbird or other? Ethiopia Feb 3 (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

The black throat makes me think Variable Sunbird. Any other possibilities?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5570.jpg
    IMG_5570.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 47
My Princeton guide for horn of Africa describes a black throat for immature Variable sunbirds, but could it also be an immature Copper?

The black throat makes me think Variable Sunbird. Any other possibilities?

Thanks!

Almost all immatures males sunbirds have dark throat ( I would say all, but my memory is not a computer and can forget some exceptions ;) ).

Here what is important is dark band on the face (from lores to ear-coverts), supercilium, pale malar stripe. Variable varies indeed, but never shows that. :)

Other sunbird species that might occur according to the Avibase checklist for Addis are Scarlet-chested, Taccaze, Malachite, Beautiful, Mariqua, Shining and Copper. If you're not familiar with those species (which I'm not), it's a matter of going through the images on Google, or preferably African Bird Club until you get a match. That's how I'd approach it anyway.....

Looking at the fact that the location is Addis Ababa, and that the bird has a clear, strong supercilium, then immature Marico Sunbird is the only possiblity, I think. All the other possibilities that Andy mentions are ruled out by one or more strong features. Malachite, Scarlet-chested, Beautiful and Copper (which isn't in Addis according to Redman) don't have a supercilium to talk about. Shining and Tacazze are the wrong colour (and Tacazze is long-tailed which might still show to some extent in the immature).

We had a discussion on a similar bird last year around this time.

Thanks for the helpful discussion. I will check on that thread from last year as well. I myself have never seen a Bronze sunbird here in Addis, only much further west. On the other hand, I have also never seen a Marico in Addis, while I have seen one Malachite. However, I have noticed in the 4+ years I have lived here that birds that are not normally found in Addis sometimes can be found at this park I was at.

Thank you for the help so far. I am leaning toward Marico/Mariqua as well. I will take Andy's advice and scroll through some of those images. My Princeton guide does not indicate that most male immature sunbirds have a black throat, so I guess it's just a case of inexperience on my part.

Attachments

• IMG_5469 (2).JPG
    IMG_5469 (2).JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back