• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent: Peacock Injured (1 Viewer)

kalpcalp

Hello everyone,

I live in San Martin, California, it's basically country area, just farms and fields everywhere. I went outside around 7pm to water the plants, and I saw a peacock just laying near our porch, it's tail COMPLETELY GONE!...our neighbor's dog was running around nearby, loudly barking, and there were a bazillion feathers floating around everywhere...I'm assuming the dog attacked the peacock and ripped it's whole tail out. There is only like 2 feathers left on the peacock, and the whole tail area is bloody and slightly bleeding. The peacock was really stressed at first when we found it, but it calmed down now. It doesn't belong to any of our neighbors, so we don't really know whose it might be...
I'm keeping it in a big camping tent set up in our garage, with some carpets and towels inside, and a bowl of water. I'm keeping it overnight, and tomorrow I'm planning to take it to the animal shelter

Does anyone by any chance know how I could make it feel better? maybe bandage it or something? I'm afraid to touch the wounded spot, because I don't want to hurt it more Will it die without a tail?!?!

Thank you in advance!!

Hi kalpcalp, welcome at Birdforum.
It´s very difficult to say anything in this case because we aren´t on location. Just from the missing tail the bird will not die. Even if there isn´t a single feather there they will grow with the next moult again. But that depends on the injuries the bird got in the tail area, assumed by the dog. I had rather put the bird some straw in the tend but the current floring is okay for a short (overnight) period, IMO. Important is to clean the injured area as good as possible and to sanitize (disinfect) it. Hoping that there aren´t big flesh wounds which has to be stitched. There are also hemostatic sprays which will stop bleeding.
I would suggest that you don´t put additional stress to the bird with a bandage, it will sure be not easy to attach, and visiting a vet tomorrow or the animal shelter for medical treatment. BUT just because some bleeding and missing feathers I would hesitate to place a wild bird in a shelter. More stress then help, IMO.
Thanks for caring!

Regards,
stonechat1

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back