• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 FL on the way (1 Viewer)

ronh

Between CA, a general lack of pow in low light, and the muscular focus knob, my Trinovid BA has started to irritate me. Yes, despite all the good things about it. It seems like lately about half my views have been custom made to make me cuss. I guess around here, this passes for personal growth?

Plus I got an unmistakable omen. A terrible hailstorm totalled my '95 Cherokee. It had basically no value, but I'll get a check for $2500. The new windshield only cost $250. A few lumps in the bodywork just add to its earthy charm.

So I've odered myself a new pre-Lotutec 8x42 FL. Thanks to everybody who participated in the discussions on the Zeiss and other forums here, which taken together, were rolled up into this naturally questionable choice. I looked at one in a store, and thought the ergonomics were perfect, and that the plastic was the finest plastic I had ever seen. A moose head across the store looked about 8x bigger for sure, but it was no test of optics. I am optimistic, of course, and hope to put it through the paces during the 7 day trial period. I guess it will be here in about a week.
Ron

Hmm, a pre-lotutec version...7 day trial period and looking at a mooshead across the store. That sounds very similar to my recent experiences with some 7x42s. I am guessing the former is CLNY and the latter is Cabelas. Do they have a Cabelas in NM?

;)

For what it is worth Ron I hear ya....I just purchased another 7x42 FL.

I just keep coming back to it no matter what I try.

Hmm, a pre-lotutec version...7 day trial period and looking at a mooshead across the store. That sounds very similar to my recent experiences with some 7x42s. I am guessing the former is CLNY and the latter is Cabelas. Do they have a Cabelas in NM?

;)

For what it is worth Ron I hear ya....I just purchased another 7x42 FL.

I just keep coming back to it no matter what I try.

Frank,

Since you buy a new Zeiss 7x42 FL every year for that new bin smell (ah, there's nothing quite like the out-gassing of glass-fiber reinforced plastic :), and then sell the old ones, let me know when the new bin smell wears off this sample, and I will trade you my 2000 Cherokee for it.

It doesn't have any impact craters like Ron's and it's 5 years newer, so you will come out ahead if a deer demolishes it. :)

Brock

You always know how to make me smile Brock. Ya know that?

....even when there isn't any Klingon references in your posts.

;)

Steve might say something to you about some optics I am selling though. I need the money to finance those FLs.

:)

Hands on Optics (I've bought astro gear from them, it's a good place), and Sportsman's Warehouse, no Cabela's here. The moose head is altogether ubiquitous, and has almost replaced the Holstein. I knew a guy who had an inflatable moose head on the wall, see what I mean, it is a major icon. I would have bought the Zeiss last weekend at SW, but the $1800 pre-lotututec was gone, replaced by $2250 lotutecs. Ouch.

Sad, that this binocular promises to be so much, yet we refer to it by what it is not. The Victory FL, T*, LT-not. Uh...P*.
Ron

I doubt that you will be disappointed at all. This is the bino I'd like to find at a good discount. I missed a pair last month.

I'm pretty sure the rationalization is it's an "old" new bin. Pre-lotutech FL. So it's not really "new" new.

Very nice.

I'm really liking my 7x42 FL for some hawk nest watching I'm doing right now.

...and here I was, Ron, thinking of you as a role model, standing fast against the gaudy temptations of newbinitis.

And... after all the prose penned by Ron over 8x42 Trinovids.
I... I feel betrayed.

Next he'll be cashing in his Fujinons for some sexed up center focus young model.

jacquot,

I have a feeling you would find a substantially discounted pair closer to home than you might think. CLNY gave me an excellent price on the pre-Lotutec 7x42s. They came yesterday.

Two big thumbs up.

...and I agree with Kevin...a 5 year old "outdated" version of a current contemporary might not be entirely "cheating".

;)

I've owned and used a lot of different binoculars in the past 10 years. My 7x42 Zeiss FL has kept it's position as "#1 binocular" longer than any others have. The only binocular that could sneak it's way into the top position anytime soon might be the new Swaro EL. I saw prototypes last year and was really impressed. Like my 7x42's, my initial impression was that it was such an easy to use binocular for birding. The lingering question is "What's it going to cost me?".
Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics

Ben,
That's quite an endorsement, given your position. I hope the 8x is good too.

Guys,
Yeah, I sang the praises to my Trinovid allright. Maybe I overdid it, what can I say-- I was happy. I felt the same way about my first girlfriend. Then she grew sensitive to off-axis aberrations in me!
Ron

Like my 7x42's, my initial impression was that it was such an easy to use binocular for birding. The lingering question is "What's it going to cost me?".
Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics

Ben, I knew you were a smart man once I start "chattin'" with you. Your preference for the 7x42 FL proves it. ;)

Now, to answer your question.....probably less than the rest of us. :)

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I look forward to hearing your comments on them once you receive them and especially in comparison to the 7x42 FL.

Thanks.

Ron's a committed 8x guy, but the one FL that tempts me is the 7x42 with L-Tec, thank you. The Siren's call of wide field mated to that stellar view make for quite a temptation but alas, I'm one of those who is sensitive to the plastickiness of the Zeiss. It just doesn't feel like a high quality product to me. I know, my prejudice. Only 2 of 4 I've tried also did not exhibit some kind of runout on the focus where there was a tight spot. It's been a year or so since I last sampled so maybe that issue's been resolved.

Maybe I should take another look soon, just for giggles.

Simple Frank, I want the water repellency and ease of cleaning. If I'm going to pony up for another high end pair of bins I want all the bells and whistles.

The 7x42 part because it's the widest field ultra premium bin around.

Last edited:
....The only binocular that could sneak it's way into the top position anytime soon might be the new Swaro EL. I saw prototypes last year and was really impressed. Like my 7x42's, my initial impression was that it was such an easy to use binocular for birding. The lingering question is "What's it going to cost me?".
Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics

Ben,

Ask yourself if you can live without "an arm and a leg" and that's your answer. :)

Brock

My comparisons of the 7x42 FL with the Zen Ray ED 8x43 show it is beaten by the Zeiss. Not a huge amount but lots of bits add up and if you AB the bins (especially in "difficult" light conditions) you can (well, I can) see the difference. It's a small difference but it's there.

I also suspect the Zeiss will survive more dropping abuse than the ZR without going out of alignment though you'll probably actually break the Zeiss GRP enclosure first rather than the Mg alloy enclosure on the ZR).

But I suspect for most people the question is "how much": how much better for how much money. And that's a trade off for each of us decide.

As to whether the 8x42 FL is the number one bin. Well, that's pretty dangerous ground. I think the Leica people would disagree but on my experience of the 7x42 FL (IMHO the best 7x with a wide FOV together with for excellent view, stray light control though others may disagree). I think from me the 8x42 FL would win as "best" 8x for me though I've not done an evaluation on one.

Remember all bins are compromises and they match their users in different ways.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back