• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Quebec: First week of June Trip to Southern Spain: First week of May (1 Viewer)

Fwin71

Hi birder pals,

I am a PhD student in Max Planck Institute for Ornithology in Germany.

I am now organizing two birding trips, one in early May in Southern Spain in Andalousia and Extramadura where I am aiming at seeing the most emblematic species of the region during five days.
The second one is in Quebec, probably during the first week of June, starting from Sherbrooke, where I will be based in end of May for a conference.

Is anyone interested in guiding and joining me during one of these trips?
I would appreciate an experienced birder that can bring me to nice spots to see rare species.
Or do you have contacts or suggestions for me?

Also, I was wondering for Quebec whether it was more worthy to birdwatch there in end of May or in start of June? June should be the peak of breeding, but birds should be more active in May no? Maybe this week difference is not so important at that stage of the year.

Thanks!
Arnaud

I've never actually birded right around Sherbrooke, but just going by my knowledge of seasonality in Canada generally, I would say that the difference between the last week in May and the first week in June is minimal.

A very small number of species will still be migrating at the end of May, with a few of the later flycatchers still straggling through in June; however, these will be those the are heading for the far north. Local passerines will all be on territory by the last weekend in May, and males should all be singing. Early nesters, like ducks, geese, and owls will have already raised their first broods, but most passerines will still be courting or just starting to nest.

I do a Breeding Bird Survey here in Ontario, and always aim it for the second week of June; primarily, because it is the peak period for bird song, but secondarily because it mostly eliminates the possibility of encountering non-resident birds that are still on their way north. The point being, earlier than that, you are likely to find a slightly better variety of species.

Viel Glück!
Peter C.

Last edited:
I can't help directly, but if SW Spain is a place you intend to visit then do check my website (see below) for a downloadable site guide (PM if it doesn't download, but be quick I'm out in Spain soon)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back