• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

warning - Victory FL scratched eyepiece by glasses (1 Viewer)

imre_i

Scratched eyepiece.

Hello.

I want to give warning for owners Victory FL binoculars.

Do not give your binoculars to the hands of people with strong glasses - convex glass 6 diopters etc...

He set the rubber eyecups on the binocular to the lowest position...
And then he scratched my coating on eyepice - they are only micro scratch.
Assured me that nothing is scratch.
But I found that this is not true.
So I am a little disappointed.

And I have a small query.
How much can cost exchange scratched eyepiece for my Zeiss Victory FL?
Many thanks.

Imre I.

Hello Imre,

I wear glasses of -7.5 dioptres prescription and I have not damaged my 8x32 FL's eyepieces, in years of use. I can write the same of my 10x32 FL, which I use less frequently. However, my 'glasses use high refractive index lenses, which are not as thick.
Only Zeiss can inform you of the price of replacement but I would not bother as there is probably no noticeable harm to the image.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Thanks for your input Arthur.

You are right with type of the glasses.
He has not normal glasses.
He has horrible ashtrays.

What to do...
So I never buy a new car due such circumstances.

I forgot to point out.
We tested my 8x32 FL (676 EUR)
against the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL (approx. 1600 EUR).

"Glasses man" found that in FL sees hardly Tube. Unlike Swarovski
I'm glad ... Well-pressed glasses.

Second point.
The globus effect on the Swarovski is for me very uncomfortable.
I think that viewing with distortion is more comfortable than globus effect.

Third point.
CA is more in Swarovski.

However my friends say, that Zeiss has ugly design. OK.
So 3:1 that´s not bad.

Hello Imre,

The Zeiss 8x32 is my favourite binocular. It is not suited for every purpose, but it works well in all daylight circumstances. The only thing better is to carry both a 7x an a 10x binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Scratched eyepiece.

Hello.

I want to give warning for owners Victory FL binoculars.

Do not give your binoculars to the hands of people with strong glasses - convex glass 6 diopters etc...

He set the rubber eyecups on the binocular to the lowest position...
And then he scratched my coating on eyepice - they are only micro scratch.
Assured me that nothing is scratch.
But I found that this is not true.
So I am a little disappointed.

And I have a small query.
How much can cost exchange scratched eyepiece for my Zeiss Victory FL?
Many thanks.

Imre I.

Imre,

I'm not sure what the laws are in your county, but here in the good old boy US of A, lens scratching is a considered a mighty serious offense, punishable by eye gouging.

Perhaps you can lure ashtray eyes to Ireland. There eye gouging only carries a penalty of a 24-week ban from rugby.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/20/2796406.htm

Before handing over your bins to someone with thick eyeglasses again, make sure it's a bin with a No Fault warranty.

Thanks for the warning! And Good Luck! in getting the EP fixed.

Add your scope, too Never let anyone who doesn't look of the initiated use your scope--and never ever children! Toothbrush?? I guess never take that back.

Add your scope, too Never let anyone who doesn't look of the initiated use your scope--and never ever children! Toothbrush?? I guess never take that back.

Au contraire - children are the ultimate testpersons for the scope!

After removing all the fingerprints, saliva and sticky bits off the lenses you'll realise how good the coatings of a Zeiss 65 Diascope in real life are.
And it´s fun for the children too

B :)

Cheers,

Ronald

I take my 12 year old daughter with me specifically to test all sorts of things including bins, scopes and hifi. I get an opinion from her uninfluenced by brand name or perceived qudos. She doesn't know her Zeiss from the bottom of a milk bottle. But "they just are better, daddy" is normally enough.

As for lending a fountain pen, nay, nay and thrice nay.

Imre, I wish you luck with the repair. It may be that a simple polish by Zeiss will restore things to their former glory.

Having "long sight" my spectacle lenses are quite curved and over the years I have scratched both specs and eyepiece lenses of optics (even modern plastic specs lenses will damage coatings). To cure this I've fitted an O-ring under the sliding (or twisting) adjustment of the eye cups. This has completely cured the problem and gives sufficient field of view.

If anyone else out there has a similar problem and is not quite sure what I mean say so and I'll post a couple of pics.

Good birding all

Stewart

Hello Imre,

The Zeiss 8x32 is my favourite binocular. It is not suited for every purpose, but it works well in all daylight circumstances. The only thing better is to carry both a 7x an a 10x binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

They're my favorite also.
I just brought them to a Broadway show where I was only about 30 feet from the principle actors but man did they give an awesome closeup view. Everyone I gave them to said the same thing, "Ohhh, HD!" I hear that a lot from people who've never seen quality glass.

Imre,

I am very sorry that your excellent, and expensive binoculars were scratched. Some might say that this person with the strange glasses only made a mistake. However, if I had made such a "mistake," this is what I would do:

First, I definitely would NOT deny that I made the scratches. Instead, I would apologize and promise to correct my error. Next, I would not leave you in the position of having to repair your binoculars. And finally, after I had found out where they could be repaired, I would take them there, and then I would pay for the repair.

If this were not possible, I would buy you a brand new pair of binoculars, exactly the same as the damaged ones, and I would give you the new binoculars and take the damaged ones for myself. This is the only honorable thing for the person to do who scratched your binoculars. If he is careless and sloppy with expensive equipment, let him pay for it himself!

Well, in a perfect world......even then, once the miscreant got a look at the pricetag on any FL, they could well develop a coronary thrombosis (or fake one....).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back