• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x42 or 8x42 (1 Viewer)

ken6217

Hi.
I know this is not birding related, but I was looking to buy one of these two binoculars for football games. Am I better off with more power or wider field of view? Other than this, are these two comparable in all other areas?

Thank you so much for your comments.

Regards,
Ken

Ken,

This is an unusual application for a "alpha" binocular but I would suspect that the benefits of the wider fov of the 7x42 would outweigh the minor additional magnification of 8x.
If waterproofing and eye relief (glasses wearer?) are not considerations you might like to consider the Nikon 8x30 E11, which offers the best of both worlds at a fraction of the cost. It really is an exceptional bin and the Porro design should provide improved 3-dimensional viewing.

John

Hi.
I know this is not birding related, but I was looking to buy one of these two binoculars for football games. Am I better off with more power or wider field of view? Other than this, are these two comparable in all other areas?

Thank you so much for your comments.

Regards,
Ken

Ken, have you not considered using a 6x30 ?...

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of any binoculars at all in the "30" category. What would be the advantage?

I am looking for an excellent quality bin that will be all around for sports. I want to see close enough but not sacrifice a wide field of view.

Thanks,
Ken

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of any binoculars at all in the "30" category. What would be the advantage?

I am looking for an excellent quality bin that will be all around for sports. I want to see close enough but not sacrifice a wide field of view.

Thanks,
Ken

Hello Ken,

Generally speaking, given the same magnification, the binocular with the narrower objective provides a wider FOV. The Zeiss 8x42 has a FOV of 405 ft. at one thousand yards. The 8x32 has an FOV of 420 feet at one thousand yards. A glass with a 32 mm objective would also be lighter.

If you an older person, the seven power may prove easier to hold steady.

Happy observing,
Arthur Pinewood

The advantages of bins with 30 or 32 mm objectives are that they are lighter and compacter than 42 mm bins, less expensive and often have a somewhat larger fov for equivalent magnification.
The disadvantage is that the exit pupils are smaller at the same magnification and consequently twilight performance suffers. This however is not an issue for watching sports.

John

Ooops, almost simultaneous reply to Arthur's - same content.

Last edited:
Hell again, Ken,

If you have your heart set on a Zeiss, do consider the 8x32.

Should you be interested in a much less expensive binocular, Zen Ray 7x36 ED2 may be of interest. It is no Zeiss and the edges are definitely soft. However, it has a good usable FOV.

You should try all three, to decide which one suits you. I believe that Camera Land on Lexington Ave, NYC, carries both lines.

Happy observing,
Arthur Pinewood

Strongly second Pinewood's comment.
An 8x32 is the perfect "all-rounder" imho.
It is small enough to take along anywhere , unlike the bigger 7 or 8x42, but generally offers a wider field of view.
Admittedly, that is at the expense of twilight performance and slightly fussier eye placement, but the difference is minute, maybe a half hour extra time at most in the UK, even less in NYC.

At the price levels you are reaching you should try them all out and see which one you like best. They will have individually different ergonomics which may be of more concern in the long run than their optical qualities, all of which are outstanding.
Bob

Last edited:
I'm going to look at binoculars early this week. My seats are 15 rows from the field on the 20 yard line. I will be quite close when the teams are on "my" side of the field and further when they are on the other side. I'm thinking maybe the 7x42's. Hopefully I can test some out outside the store. I believe my brother has a pair of Swarovski 7x35's. Is there any advantage to the 35's over the 42's except for weight?
Ken

Ken

For the distance you are from the pitch are you sure that you want to spend nearly $2000 on a pair of bulky bins designed to withstand the worse the elements can throw at you. If you want the best quality in that kind of environment and distance I would have thought a pair of compacts from any of the "big 3" (Plus the Nikon HG's) would be perfect. It is not as if there will not be enough light (!) and any of the 8x's will have more than enough field of view. Why lug anything larger around? What is the benefit of a 42mm objective in an arena (floodlit when dark), other than size and weight? I know it is your money, but surely "horses for courses"?

Paul

Cost wasn't the issue. I had seen Swaro and Zeiss many times and love looking through those. The reason I came up with the 7x42 was because I figured I wouldn't need that much magnification but wanted a wide FOV to see everything instead of only a few players. The 7x42 Fl also gives 450' FOV.

Even though the bins are for football right now, I travel each summer to national parks around the country and would be used there as well.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:
Cost wasn't the issue. I had seen Swaro and Zeiss many times and love looking through those. The reason I came up with the 7x412 was because I gigured I wouldn't need that much magnification but wanted a wide FOV to see everything instead of only a few players. The 7x42 Fl also gives 450' FOV.

Even though the bins are for football right now, I travel each summer to national parks around the country and would be used there as well.

Thanks,
Ken

Get the Zeiss 8x32 FL's. Best binoculars for how you want to use them. Your holding them a LONG time trying to watch the game and the field is well lit so you don't need the bigger aperture of the 42mm nor the extra weight. Watching football you need something waterproof and fogproof because of the possible inclement weather and that person in the bleachers above you might spill some beer on you. I know how football games are. Much tougher environment than birding. I think you will enjoy the extra magnification of the 8X over the 7X and the 8X will be better in the national parks. The Zeiss are better optically than the Swaro's. The Zeiss 8x32 FL is just a plain good all around all weather binocular and it would work for concerts and theatre also if you like to do that whereas the 42mm would be kind of big. If you HUNT I would go with the 42mm for the greater light gathering power at dusk when you want to see game or make out antlers. It sounds to me like the baby Zeiss are perfect for you.

Get the Zeiss 8x32 FL's. Best binoculars for how you want to use them. Your holding them a LONG time trying to watch the game and the field is well lit so you don't need the bigger aperture of the 42mm nor the extra weight. Watching football you need something waterproof and fogproof because of the possible inclement weather and that person in the bleachers above you might spill some beer on you. I know how football games are. Much tougher environment than birding. I think you will enjoy the extra magnification of the 8X over the 7X and the 8X will be better in the national parks. The Zeiss are better optically than the Swaro's. The Zeiss 8x32 FL is just a plain good all around all weather binocular and it would work for concerts and theatre also if you like to do that whereas the 42mm would be kind of big. If you HUNT I would go with the 42mm for the greater light gathering power at dusk when you want to see game or make out antlers. It sounds to me like the baby Zeiss are perfect for you.

Thanks for the reply. If I do look at the narrower glass such as the 32, is the Nikon 8x30 Ell still a good option if I can locate one?

Thanks,
Ken

Optically, the EII is still very much a contender, but it is not an all weather glass and the stubby barrels are not everybody's cup of tea ergonomically.
While Denco has the logical recommendation imo, there is something to be said for the 450 foot wide picture window view given by the Zeiss 7x42. You could easily convince yourself that the extra size and bulk of the bigger glass is well worth it.

Thanks for the reply. If I do look at the narrower glass such as the 32, is the Nikon 8x30 Ell still a good option if I can locate one?

Thanks,
Ken

That is the one I'd take with me to a football game, or to a race track, or even to a National Park. I have big hands too, but you learn how to keep them out of the way in using one. They are more short rather than small with their large prism housing and if your hands are broad like mine you just keep your little fingers out of the way. The one thing I've noticed about them is the ease with which you get on your subject with them.
Bob

Thanks all for the help. I picked up a pair of the Nikon 8x30 E11 used. I think I will then compliment it with the 7x46.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back