• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do You Birdwatch even when you are not actually Birding? (1 Viewer)

I spend most of my day looking after young grandchildren,whenever i take them for walks,i always take my compacts.I am also a cricket umpire,i have stopped county junior games to point out Red Kites to players.

I have lost countless points in tennis when I catch a glimpse of a bird flying overhead and having to check it out.

Great thread, I have had lots of laughs reading it and am guilty of just about all of them. Only today I stopped the car three times to look at birds (Peregrine, Thekla Lark and Kestrel) whilst driving three friends to a quiz. I think they think I am a bit strange. Then again, perhaps I am. Maybe most birders are? That's why I like birders so much as they are the only people who would understand me driving my car into a wall whilst looking at Black Vulture, nice to know I am not the only one who has done that. Mike

I have a window office with a glass wall opposite the window. I can be talking to someone with my back to the window and will get distracted by a reflection of a bird in the opposite glass!

And if I'm in someone else's office with a window...well, all my friends at work know that if I get distracted it must be a bird over their shoulder.

This is a nice thread and I hesitate to take it on a different, adult themed, path but yes, occasionally, I have watched birds while..........well, I'm sure you get the picture. Anyway, isn't that what hides are actually designed for?

Phil

ps. Mods. please feel free to delete if deemed inappropriate.

Last edited:
Lol phil,two questions
Has anyone ever been busted or found a couple doing inappropriate things in a bird hide and I don't mean watching the ships pass by
And has anyone ever crashed a car while looking at birds up above or out the window?

I'm like the off duty policeman Euan, whenever I'm out, I'm always looking and listening for birds, even on shopping trips etc. Sad I know but it's almost second nature!

agreed, however it is much to the annoyance of my partner..... especially when driving and she keeps telling me to watch the road ;)

Always. It's almost impossible to not notice the birds around me. I've found myself a couple of times almost missing the bus to work in the morning as I watched the flocks of starlings go to and fro in the hope that there'll be waxwings with them or a redwing or fieldfare.

Even though I like to read on the bus, I always look up at key points where I've seen good birds in the past - well you never know what'll crop up this time!

I used to work in events which took me all over Scotland. I didn't get much time away from the places I worked at (mainly hotels and conference centres), but any slack moments during the events would normally be spent near the door or windows to see what was about.

Always looking, driving, walking even keeping an eye on programmes on the television to see if there any birds in the background.

Gerard.

Hello all,

You don't need binoculars to bird watch. If one identifies a bird by its call, is that still bird watching?
In any case, I am always aware birds on my urban walks. In the past few days, I have seen both a northern mockingbird and a black capped chickadee.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

and...

yes - I live in a rural area and bird on my way to work. Not in any formal way, just keep track of how many kestrels, red-tailed hawks and others (depending on the time of year).

And perhaps like Arthur, I take walks around the neighborhood in early evening and see (hear) a variety of birds. And barn owls if I am walking late.

Oh and as I said in another thread, we have all your starlings here stateside now. It's with a glad heart that I invite you all to come bird and then take these darling fellows back home to old blighty.

Hope to see you soon!

I'm always looking to see if I can spot birds, the wife can't stand it if I'm driving and suddenly shout out buzzard or kestrel or whatever

Hello all,

You don't need binoculars to bird watch. If one identifies a bird by its call, is that still bird watching?
In any case, I am always aware birds on my urban walks. In the past few days, I have seen both a northern mockingbird and a black capped chickadee.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

No, you don't need binoculars or (back to the OP) a notebook. Perhaps identifying birds by call would be better described as birding, although if I hear a bird I always try to see it (i.e. watch it), too. I just accept the fact that, at 55, my hearing is slightly better than my eyesight, especially for small jobs flying high over.

Last edited:
Yes, the birding senses are a constant. Whether walking, driving, working from home, travelling by plane or train (have picked up a few nice lifers from trains), listening to radio, or watching TV, videos, or movies (as well as any other activity), there is an automatic attempt to pay attention to any sight, sound, or hint of birds.

Every now and again I get the bus from Long Stratton to Norwich - a distance of about 10 miles taking roughly 25 mins. I often see how many species I can spot on the journey. Usually between 15-20. If I get a large un-identified corvid it is a 'crook' until I can nail one properly. Cant think what my best recent bird is offhand - probably Buzzard and Little Egret but I actually saw my first ever Redwing feeding in a hedge from the top of a double decker back in the early 80s.

Defo! Always looking and listening..If on long journey's I sometimes look out for different birds..Iv had all sorts like that. Including red Kites, little egrets ect . I think a birder will always Be keeping a close eye on the outside. If you see a glimpse or hear a bird singing your always wondering what it is or have a quick look. It's natural to most birders I think.

yes - I live in a rural area and bird on my way to work. Not in any formal way, just keep track of how many kestrels, red-tailed hawks and others (depending on the time of year).

And perhaps like Arthur, I take walks around the neighborhood in early evening and see (hear) a variety of birds. And barn owls if I am walking late.

Oh and as I said in another thread, we have all your starlings here stateside now. It's with a glad heart that I invite you all to come bird and then take these darling fellows back home to old blighty.

Hope to see you soon!

That's a done deal!...as long as you take all our Canada Geese, mink and not forgetting old Carolensis!

I don´t know about you but I like to keep a very clean windscreen when I´m driving as often a bit of dead fly can sometimes have you thinking what bird is that.I look at everything in the sky so much so that the wife has to remind me of dog mess etc. Eddy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back