• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory FL binoculars (1 Viewer)

I had a first look at the Victory FL:s (8x42 and 7x42 models) at the Swedish Oudoor Fair today. This is my first impression from an hour of indoor-testing so take it from that.

The demo bins were a bit ”preproduction” according to the zeiss people and the twist up eye cups had a ”cheap plastic” feel and they were going to be changed.

The production country of the FL:s is clearly Germany and ”made in germany” is printed on the very slim bridge that holds the two barrels together. The shape of the barrels are a bit ”EL”-like and the balance was pretty good but not on pair with the EL:s. The feel fo the FL:s are a bit like a hybrid of Leica trinovid and Swarovski EL so they are not as slender and compact as the Ultravids.

The view is clearly related to the ”zeiss victory II” and the brightness is excellent. I could see very little CA at the edges of the field but indoor testing is not conclusive for color parameters but as I also tested Nikon SE:s, Swarovski EL:s and Leica Ultravids I got references for comparison.

Close focus is very good for the FL:s and and I had no problems focusing on objects only 1,5 meter away. The focus wheel is high-geared (one turn from near to far), wide and feels very natural and easy to use, but it is a bit stiff for my taste (the stiffness were, as the eye cups, on the todo-better-list).

Eye relief is on pair with the Leica Ultravids and eye comfort is very similar with these, perhaps even a bit better.

The 7x:s has an amazing 150 FOV and are sharper than the Dialyt 7x42 BGATP. The view is very easy on the eye for the 7x FL (so are the ultravid 7x). (The classic 7x42 Dialyt will be taken out of production in just a couple of month according to Zeiss.)

I think the FL:s looks rather promising and I look forward to test the fully developed product. I don’t think that they will be the optimal binoculars concerning all parameters but they may be a very good compromise with the image quality as their strongest aspect.

Gorank: They sound promising. Regarding the focus wheel, it is not uncommon for the focus wheel of a scope/binocular to be stiff when fresh out of the box. As far as I know they always loosen up, though it can mean a few annoying weeks or months while it does so.

It sounds like the 'Made in Germany' badge is meant to be seen!

Any indication of the price? I would expect them to be expensive.

Leif said:
Gorank: They sound promising. Regarding the focus wheel, it is not uncommon for the focus wheel of a scope/binocular to be stiff when fresh out of the box. As far as I know they always loosen up, though it can mean a few annoying weeks or months while it does so.

It sounds like the 'Made in Germany' badge is meant to be seen!

Any indication of the price? I would expect them to be expensive.

Here in Sweden the price will be on the same level as for the Swarovski EL (the EL:s are the most expensive here),
around 1020 GBP
I dont know what that will be in UK, with taxes and stuff..we have 25% VAT...=(

No doubt the models that you saw Gorank were pre production, especially if they are the same as shown at the recent IWA show in Germany. Visitors to the show were also told about the eyepieces being pre production. I have been told that they intend to have the finished models available in May / June. Did you notice the 4 settings on the eyepieces, and do you feel that this was a good thing?
Can you explain the optimal parameters, and where will it be less than say the other two that you mention.

Last edited:
henry link said:
Gorank, What was your impression of the sharpness at the edge of the field? Henry

Since it was preproduction bins, it may not be useful to dig to deep into the optical quality....lets give Zeiss a chance...before melting their plastic bins with our merciless criticism...=)

mak said:
No doubt the models that you saw Gorank were pre production, especially if they are the same as shown at the recent IWA show in Germany. Visitors to the show were also told about the eyepieces being pre production. I have been told that they intend to have the finished models available in May / June. Did you notice the 4 settings on the eyepieces, and do you feel that this was a good thing?
Can you explain the optimal parameters, and where will it be less than say the other two that you mention.

I noticed the 4 steps...click click click...crack..
one eye cup on the 10x42 model had unfortunately stuck on the higher level..so i couldnt test them with glasses...bad thing...

The question is if the final FL:s "feel" will be on pair with the optical quality..

BTW the rumor of new lighter Nikon roofs coming this summer was heard again from the Nikon people: "...we know nothing...but...new lighter roofs are to be released this summer...no specs yet.."

Rico
I purchased the 8x42 Utravid BR, and I love them. I would recommend that you try them before writing them off. I got mine from Cameraland in NY via their website, and they set me back 1215.00 including shipping to SD. This was a full 100.00 cheaper than I could find them anywhere else on the web, and the local Leica dealer was @1500.00! I notice no CA with mine, the close focus is around 8', which is substantially less than Leica's published spec. As with any top end optic, of course the final choice is what works best for you, regardless of anyone else's opinion. I would urge you to give them a look.
Paul Burgers
Sioux Falls, SD

gorank said:
Since it was preproduction bins, it may not be useful to dig to deep into the optical quality....lets give Zeiss a chance...before melting their plastic bins with our merciless criticism...=)

Quite. Plastic ! this must be put into context, as according to the Zeiss blurb, the body is made of 60% glass fibre polymide (same as used on aircraft, perhaps we have a pilot or two who can confirm this). It is apparently more resistant to knocks than either ally or magnesium.

Last edited:
gorank said:
interesting material, is there any good cross section picture of the current Victory??

I don't know of one available online. I have one in a Zeiss brochure. It shows a 3 element objective in the current Victories with a cemented doublet and a singlet, but in a 2-1 arrangement rather than the 1-2 shown for the new bins.

Eyepieces are similar, 5 elements in three groups (2-2-1). In the new bin only the field lens doublet looks significantly different from the old one. It's thicker and has a deeper convex curve on the front surface. Of course, glass types might be different which wouldn't show in a cross section.

Last edited:
I have been in touch today with Zeiss UK and received the following information about these new models.

These new models will replace the current 8x40BT & 10x40 BT Victory as
well as the 7x42 BGAT Dialyt.

At the moment there are only pre production models to show."

Prototype models will be shown at Minsmere this weekend, a show in conjunction with Viking Optical and RSPB.

Price and release date in the UK are yet to be confirmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
smallwheelsman said:
I have been in touch today with Zeiss UK and received the following information about these new models.

These new models will replace the current 8x40BT & 10x40 BT Victory as
well as the 7x42 BGAT Dialyt.

At the moment there are only pre production models to show."

Prototype models will be shown at Minsmere this weekend, a show in conjunction with Viking Optical and RSPB.

Price and release date in the UK are yet to be confirmed.

Seems that Zeiss has given up on the old Victory design. Kind of surprising given its age.

michaelboustead said:
Seems that Zeiss has given up on the old Victory design. Kind of surprising given its age.

I suspect they didn't receive quite the level of acclaim that Zeiss thought they deserved. Or the sales?

Minsmere Bird Fair last weekend. Had a look at the new Zeiss FL bins. Only samples, apparently the eyepieces were not the finished thing.

Had a look at the 7x, 8x. Close Focus was less than 2m (well it appeared to be lower than the 2m). 1 turn on the focus wheel from far to near. Good depth of field. I could not detect any CA, especially when looking at posts or the marquee guide ropes. All 3 models have the same prism as the 7x42 Dialyts, which gives a light transmission of over 90% according to the Zeiss man.
They are longer than the Ultravid, but lighter. Will come with a nylon case, with strap (can't remember the name of the case material), rainguard, objective lens covers and wide strap. IMO as good as EL's or the Ultravids. No price available.

Last edited:
They better be absolutely perfect in every way, because the other superb contenders to be my next full size roofs (swaro 8,5x42 and leica 8x42) just arent perfect enough :)

Coming Soon... ?

Scouting around the web yesterday, I found the following site which, for the first time I have seen, gives a datefor the FLs:

http://worldtwitch.com/optics.htm

June 04! So I rang Zeiss UK bino dept and the response I got was that they had no firm date but probably would be available "in the next month or so". Do you think they know something and are not telling us yet?

I tested out the three new Zeiss FL binos last week and my view of them is close to that of Gorank... the 7x42 was spectacular imho, f.o.v. amazing. The CA levels on the 3 binos were less than any other binos I've used (tested outdoors in sunny conditions), way better than my current Swaro 10x42 EL's. Close focus was impressive, all managing under 2m....not many binos allow me to focus on my shoes!
They felt better in my hands than the Victories, the finish being harder and less prone to attracting fluff. The ribbing on the body allowing a good grip of the bino.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back