• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bird in garden (1 Viewer)

SloopJB

Hello this is my first post as a new member.
We live just North of Bristol in UK.

We have a new bird in the garden.
At first thought it might be a blackbird about that size.

It has been eating rowan (red) berries.
It has also been hunkering down in our hedge and coming out occasionally to drink at our bird bath.

It is calling from time to time with presumably an alarm or location call.
Sounds a bit like blackbird but more metallic?

It has a black head and long black / dark tail.
Back is fluffy greyish brown.
It has a very light almost white under parts with grey legs.
Bit like a siberian warbler in markings but much larger!

Beak looks a bit like a shriek to me ???
It is definitely curved on top like a roman nose in humans and flat underneath.

It is a puzzle to us.
I expect it is fairly obvious to one of the experts, would like to learn more.

SloopJB

Hi SloopJB and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum and subscribed you to the thread so you can keep track of it. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out.

Delia

Thanks Delia for moving to right spot! Oops no pun intended!

Like your mottos!

You are obviously a football fan fitting in life between goals! :)

Like your avatar, reminds me of recent holiday and visits to Lock Kinnordy.

Thanks Nutcraker, we do get ome strange blackbirds usually try to photograph, always thought they were albino, but this one seems much different.

Thanks Mtem we do get Fieldfares but not really old enough down here yet and usually in flocks.

This one has definate black head like over grown black cap, but more puffed up like black bird or huge robbin.

I wondered if it has been blown off course by high winds!

Thanks Delia for moving to right spot! Oops no pun intended!

No problem at all - it's what we're here for.

Like your mottos!

You are obviously a football fan fitting in life between goals! :)

Err.... no.... I'm a football-free zone here :-O

Like your avatar, reminds me of recent holiday and visits to Lock Kinnordy.

That's my local - I try and get there weekly if I can. But it's a "loch"... Kinnordy isn't a canal:cat:;)

Catbird

Hi Rockfowl,

This is the closest yet!

RSPB bird finder just came up with Thrush family, then as I put colours in only Blackbird or nothing at all.

I know its wrong to ascribe human traits to animals but it looked a bit beat up and lost to me. Wondered if it had been blown off course?

The only thing I would say is the black head cap extended further than the one on the link, but again I guess there are variations and could have been immature.

Did say it was strange to us.

It was not making the full cat call, but more a metallic tick tick distress call! ?

Could this be the bird, is there anything else like it.

Thanks again, Sloop!

Hi Mtel will try to download / upload!

Hi Jnobel definitely not a blackcap, get these regularly.

Unless it was on steroids and then some how broke into the local power station and mutated like the incredible hulk!

It was part of our mental process for a second so thanks for the suggestion.

In that case a photo is even more important!

Oh and get the kettle on because you could be getting some visitors!

Delia I know sorry its my typing not easy for me on ipad!

Guess the Ospreys have long left now.
Is the Red Squirrel visiting the feeder by the central hide.

Lost my filter holder and filter when it fell out the hide window on left side looking out.

We had five days staying nearby with the beavers!

It seems like a grey catbird, but my bird had black over head and arround eye and down below beak rather than just a black strip on top of head.
Did look on web and found one picture of a bird caught at Cape Cod which looks like mine, so that is encouraging!

I Think the normal grey catbirds are fairly common.

I think I have seen these catbirds in the Caribbean.

Watching Ray Mears, saying Pine Martens are elusive, last Summer they were feeding on the decking where we stayed!

Even closer than the Cassawary when I was in Australia, the bird Nick Baker could not find!
It is almost six foot tall, at least the one I came face to face with was!

Last edited:
Hi Redeyedvideo,

How big is this bird, this has certainly put the catbird amongst the pigeons as they say.

At first thought the tail was too wide but looking my pictures are mostly sideways on but one on the bird bath otherwise not very good shows atleast six tail feathers, quite broad.

I this bird more like to be in UK?
It would be good if I could find a recording of its call.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back