• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 10x42 to get? (1 Viewer)

Percetages or real cash?

I think that you will find that in percentage terms he will make more profit margin with the Opticron models than with the Austro-German marques

The EL 10-42 cost about 14.000,- NOK If he gets 10% of the sale that equals to 25% on the Imagic Opticron whic cost 5.600,- NOK

A uncle of my in-wedded aunt sells Zeiss so I know a thing or two about profit on those, and when I do the math I don't belive it will give him better cash-flow selling Opticron over more expensive binos, but percetage wise it might look better. However 20% of 1500,- US $ will allways be more than 40% of 600$. and you use up less storage.

Off-topic, I got my degree in economics in Tennesse while playing football.:t:

I saw the US $ go from 9,61 NOK to 6,7 NOK from 10.2000-12.2003 :t:
Since the US $ has gone from 9,61 NOK in october 2000 to belowe 5.0 NOK this year, it is hard to give Americans real understanding of prices in Europe since a bread or a gallon of milk(home-made products) cost about the same
for you guys.

I have read at least 10 different test's which all give Opticron Imagic very good grades, as i mentioned the Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica did 0,1-0,2 better of a scale from 0-12 on 6 different areas(Resolution, Contrast, Brightness, Edge Sharpness, Glasses-friendliness and Build Quality) and when the price is between 2,5 to 3,0 times lower i started to belive.
Sometimes there is a underdog who can battle with the big dog's!!

Opticron imagic

Hi
Sorry to but in but have heard the opticron imagic are vey good i am using Nikon Monarhs but i unfortunatly dropped them and they started steaming up so i may try out the opticron. photoexpresslakeland an ebay shop are selling the 8x42 for £269 plus £8.95 delivery i have heard good reports about there shop as a friend has purchased from them at Ulverston.
Cheers
Harold

I tried out the Opticron Verano, Classic and the Imagic SE on the weekend and not suprisingly I thought the Imagic SE was considerably better. Its over my budget, but Sherwoods are offering it for £360 including a free 2.5x Universal Tele-adapter. Now bear with me on this, but if I bought the imagic and sold the UTA, the Imagic would probably only cost me £300. Sherwoods also see the Vortex range, so I can try out the Viper and the Razor.

Hi Kahuna,
did you make a choice?
If it's any help we spent a loooong time looking at bins from £100 to £500 at birdfair, and eventually settled on the Vortex Vipers. We could even get two pairs of 10x42 for the same price as one pair Bushnell Elite for example. The vipers really do punch well above their price range and we are very happy with them.
Allan

Hi
Sorry to but in but have heard the opticron imagic are vey good i am using Nikon Monarhs but i unfortunatly dropped them and they started steaming up so i may try out the opticron. photoexpresslakeland an ebay shop are selling the 8x42 for £269 plus £8.95 delivery i have heard good reports about there shop as a friend has purchased from them at Ulverston.
Cheers
Harold

You should also consider if Nikon can repair your current bins, even if you want to upgrade ;)

Hi Allan,
I'm still looking, although because the weather has been so terrible lately, I'm not looking as hard as I was, but I still need to buy a pair of binos.
I really appreciate all the advice that has been offered so far.
Kahuna

I know you said roof's but if you are thinking Opticron why not try the Opticron HR WP 10x42. They are poro's but are waterproof, very compact and light in my oppinion and for you budget of £200 quid I am told by some who know these things that £200 quid roofs will come nowhere near these for optical quality. Regards, Dave.

Sometimes I start to belive!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I got my hands on a few binos that I wanted to check out, this is my short resume.

The weather was cloudy but clear, with deasent light.

Leica Ultravid 8-42 they were very good on optics, but didn't like the feel of the focusing wheel and they are not worth the price at all. they cost 2,9 times the Imagic

Swarovski EL 8,5x42 WB Brilliant optics, but they feel clumsy compared to Opticron. However the optics are excelent, but pricy! they cost 2,5 times the Imagic.

Zeiss Victory 8x42 + FL this was a disapointment, they are good, but for the price they were not good enough. They cost 2,4 times the Imagic

Opticron Imagic BGA se 8-42 These bins are unbelievable, optics and feel are totally insane for the price and the competition.

I couldn't really tell the difference between Imagic, Leica and the El. I could probably look for things that could separate them, but I used them like I would use any bins and I am surpriced on behalf of the Opticron Imagic, I also tried the DBA and Aurora and they were not better. However, the Aurora was very compact, but they cost almost twice the price and are not worth it.

I did switch between all the binos I mentioned, back and forth and there is no doubt in my mind when the day comes

However, the best binos that I tried was the Swarovski SLC 8-56 but at 1,29KG or almost 3lbs, they will stay at home, but they were insane good!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back