• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Shanghai Student (2 Viewers)

News for SHWBS

Apparently, Spoon-billed Sandpipers have been spotted at Chongming (2 of the former, and 1 of the latter). Ruffs are also easy to photograph and find on Changxing Island, one of the larger islands of the Chongming group.

Fairy Pittas are also passing at the moment, so guys keep your eyes peeled! ;) One of the Chinese birders have said they're apparently very easy to approach at the moment..

Rudong: Localities?

Hey guys! :)

Sorry I haven't been on much lately. Schoolwork has really been eating my time. However, as its my birthday today, my parents are allowing me a trip to Rudong in Jiangsu, and I'm hoping for some good birds there (maybe not as good as Spoon-billed Sandpiper, but still good birds).

Would any of you happen to know the exact directions to the birding localities there? I have never been to Rudong, so I know nothing of the 'Magic Woods' and whatnot that you guys speak of...

Thanks!

Cypselurus

Happy Birthday!

Since no one else has responded yet, I did some searching for you about Rudong birding and found these. Sorry, I have not been there. The first link talks of the danger of wading around in the mud. Please do not take any chances if you are by yourself.

http://www.shanghaibirdingtour.com/report/Spooners,Rudong.htm

http://birdingbeijing.com/tag/rudong/
hope you can view the Vimeo video to see some of the landmarks.

http://www.birdskoreablog.org/?p=3181
seems the yellow fence in the bottom photo is a good landmark for the area

http://www.talking-naturally.co.uk/tn99-christoph-zockler-on-the-rudong-tidal-flats/

http://bushwings.weebly.com/blog/searching-for-spoonies-in-rudong-china

http://www.shanghaibirdingtour.com/report/SpoonercountRudong2010.htm
a map, sort of

Good luck and good birding!

Last edited:
Hello Cypselurus92,

I got back last Sunday from an 11-day trip to Yangkou. My goal was to cover the area as thoroughly as possible.

With help from my partner, Elaine, I have written a report. I think you're going to find it useful.

Just go to the index of my reports on craigbrelsford.com and find "Yángkǒu, 4-14 September 2014." Or you can simply go directly to the report.

Take care and happy birding.

Craig

Hey Craig!

Sorry for the delay, but the report was very helpful! I did check out some of your locations, like the temple, and did find some nice birds there, thanks for the help! :) Your reports are very detailed and well-written, always helpful when I'm trying to get a good grasp of the area I'm about to head off to.

Unfortunately, I did rather dip on the Spoon-billed Sandpiper. This was, I think, due to the fact that the two times we visited the flats, the tide was either too high (so that all that was above water were some areas very, very close to land that were almost entirely covered by the invasive reed-grass), or it was too low (way out across the flats, where, due to it being a family trip with a little brother, we couldn't go).

That aside, we did see some nice birds. A great numbers of the 3 commoner Curlews, with Eurasian and Far Eastern seemingly liking to roost in the invasive-grass areas. Almost every sandpiper that flew up from that area was a Curlew, it seems. Whimbrel were mostly present on the second day, but they were almost exclusively flybys. Blue-and-white Flycatchers were VERY common in the 'new Magic Wood' (the old one being locked away), and dominated all other species along the seawall. The only location I saw any good numbers of another species (Asian Brown+Dark-sided) was at the temple. Cuckoos were also very common, but could not be identified down to species level. Other common passerine migrants common during the visit were Richard's Pipits, Siberian Blue Robin, and Eastern Crowned Warbler. There were a few Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warblers as well, but these were harder to tell, due to the confusing duo being in autumn and lacking their more distinguishing characteristic- song.

Terns were also in very good numbers. White-winged Black dominated the inland ponds, with lesser numbers of Little and a few Whiskered tagging along too. I double-checked to make sure the birds I saw were indeed Little- they were tiny, around the same size as the White-wings, maybe smaller. Definitely not a bulky Common. The commonest tern in the area at that time, however, was none of these species. The Gull-billed was the most numerous species at the time, passing over in great numbers. They mixed with the Saunder's Gulls on the flats at one point, causing some brief confusion. Amongst Gulls, Black-tailed were in small numbers as well, usually flyovers. Nothing too rare amongst the sandpiper species, mostly just Tereks or Redshanks. A lifer Little/Striated Heron pulling a bittern-posture was also seen on the mudflats, looking quite flustered amongst the rowdy crowd of gulls and terns.

Cypselurus92

Last edited:
Hi all!
I'm David, a Swedish birder working in Shanghai for a month. I hope to find some time for birding as well, and have indeed started with a trip to Yangkou, a day at Nanhui and some city park birding.

Yangkou (reached with bus, change in Rudong) was brilliant. Not only because I got to know Craig who I bumped in to there, but also because of the birds ;) 1-2 SBS and 10 Nordman's GS of course the highlights, but for a Swedish birder species such as sib.ruby, sib.thrush, rf bluetail and such are species that really gets the heart beating. Lots of oriental scops owls. And all those waders...

Yesterday at Nanhui was good. Easily accessible with public transport. Spent some time at the parkinglot and several hours Walking along the coast and through the reeds. Sib. thrust, 3 daurian redstarts, peregrine, kestrel, caspian tern, 3 common kingfishers, dusky warbler, stubtails, 2 jap. quails, buff-bellied, olive-b and richard's pipits, Brown bull-headed and chinese grey shrikes, oriental scops, chestnut bunting. A few hundred waders of the expected mix, hard to scan with only binoculars though. And I suppose the phyllo on the picture is a pale-legged? Or can a plumbeitarsus have such pinkish legs?

I failed on the parrot reedbills both in Nanhui and Yangkou...

But all bird observations weren't good. The huge hotel at Nanhui really seems to be an efficient killer with all it's windows. This was a day with very few passerines about, and I only walked past quickly, but still found a good number of dead birds. I don't want to know how that place looks on good migration days...

Attachments

• IMGP2599.jpg
    IMGP2599.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMGP2576.jpg
    IMGP2576.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 90
  • Namnlös1.jpg
    Namnlös1.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Namnlös2.jpg
    Namnlös2.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Namnlös3.jpg
    Namnlös3.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 103
Hey Craig! Sorry for the delay, but the report was very helpful!

Awesome, Cypselurus92! Keep checking the Index to Craig's Reports whenever you're about to take a trip in the area.

... Cuckoos were also very common, but could not be identified down to species level. Other common passerine migrants common during the visit were Richard's Pipits, ... There were a few Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warblers as well, but these were harder to tell, due to the confusing duo being in autumn and lacking their more distinguishing characteristic- song.
And I suppose the phyllo on the picture is a pale-legged? Or can a plumbeitarsus have such pinkish legs?

Hey Cypselurus92, good work on the cuckoos! I just don't see a way to ID juvenile Cuculus cuckoos to sp. level. 5 Cuculus cuckoos live in China; 3 of them (Common, Oriental, Himalayan) are virtually indistinguishable in adult and juvenile plumage. Juvenile Indian and Lesser may be distinguishable, and Michael Grunwell, whom Elaine and I had the pleasure of birding with up in Yangkou last week, swore we were seeing juvenile Lesser Cuckoos; but I wouldn't go that far.

As for Richard's Pipits, you're probably right; you probably were finding Richard's. However, it's worth knowing that in this part of China, a species very much like Richard's, Blyth's Pipit, is regularly recorded, though much rarer than Richard's. With that in mind, it's worth making a quick check of the blackish centers of the median coverts. If they're strongly triangular, then it's highly likely that you're looking at a Richard's Pipit. If they're squarish, then you may be looking at a Blyth's. There are also differences in voice, especially song (but you'll be unlikely to hear the song of Blyth's in this region), but also call; but the differences in call are subtle, and one would need to hear them well to be able to make an ID, and even then preferably in combination with a good look at the blackish centers of the median coverts.

The median coverts are not a foolproof characteristic, by the way. Note the photo here of a bird which most of the experts I polled said was probably a Richard's but that had squarish blackish centers to the median coverts.

DKihlberg and Cypselurus92, let me address your observations of birds that may be Pale-legged or Sakhalin Leaf Warbler. First off, David, the bird you photographed is very likely a Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler; those tarsi and toes are very pink. I'd like to see the lower mandible, however; Pale-legged/Sakhalin has a black spot on it that has been a consistently reliable characteristic in my observations. As to whether the bird you photographed (and the birds Cypselurus92 saw) is a Pale-legged or Sakhalin Leaf, the word these days is that there are only two ways to know: by hearing the song (not the call; the call is similar in both sp.) OR by catching Pale-legged/Sakhalins and measuring bill length, etc. See this link on Facebook for an example.

I failed on the parrot reedbills both in Nanhui and Yangkou...

I'm getting worried. Reedbeds are being destroyed around Nanhui, and you struck out in Yangkou, where destruction and fragmentation of the reedbeds continue apace. I think the "reliable Reed Parrotbill place" in Yangkou, where we dropped you off on your last day, needs to be combed through. Last month, I did hear Reed Parrotbills on the dirt road N of the temple, but with the destruction of habitat in Yangkou, I have to think that Reed Parrotbill is going to be affected.

... The huge hotel at Nanhui really seems to be an efficient killer with all it's windows. This was a day with very few passerines about, and I only walked past quickly, but still found a good number of dead birds. ...

I've never seen as many dead birds as you saw, David, but I do know what you're talking about. I've attached shots of an injured Siberian Blue Robin, photographed last month in the Magic Parking Lot. It had hit a window but managed to fly away, to an uncertain fate.

Attachments

• pipit.jpg
    pipit.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 91
  • robin,-siberian-blue012.jpg
    robin,-siberian-blue012.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Thanks for comments Craig! I guess I'll bring a DNA lab next time I go birding ;)

Spent two hours in the botanical garden this morning. Very quiet, apart from all the caged birds.. Two yellow-billed grosbeaks were new to me though (suppose they were at least, don't have my guide atm, and don't know all potential grosbeaks yet).

This morning, having breakfast on the balcony of my apartment (Hanzhong road) a woodcock flew by, probably flushed from a nearby park.

Thanks for comments Craig! I guess I'll bring a DNA lab next time I go birding ;)

You jest, but you make a good point. Please refer complaints to Per Alstrom!

Two yellow-billed grosbeaks were new to me though (suppose they were at least, don't have my guide atm, and don't know all potential grosbeaks yet).

Your possibilities are Chinese and, especially at this time of year, Japanese. Japanese are bigger and have no black at the tip of the bill. Chinese breed in the city parks here in Shanghai.

This morning, having breakfast on the balcony of my apartment (Hanzhong road) a woodcock flew by, probably flushed from a nearby park.

Woodcocks are showing up all over now. At Yangkou, you, Elaine, and I were pleasantly surprised when the Chinese photographer approached us with a photo of a woodcock on the mudflats.

DKihlberg and Cypselurus92, let me address your observations of birds that may be Pale-legged or Sakhalin Leaf Warbler. First off, David, the bird you photographed is very likely a Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler; those tarsi and toes are very pink. I'd like to see the lower mandible, however; Pale-legged/Sakhalin has a black spot on it that has been a consistently reliable characteristic in my observations. As to whether the bird you photographed (and the birds Cypselurus92 saw) is a Pale-legged or Sakhalin Leaf, the word these days is that there are only two ways to know: by hearing the song (not the call; the call is similar in both sp.) OR by catching Pale-legged/Sakhalins and measuring bill length, etc. See this link on Facebook for an example.

You misunderstood my personal thoughts on that particular Sakhalin leaf Warbler Craig, and these based only on a bit of personal research - I mentioned it on my page, not on Phil's posting. The only way to currently identify these is through wing measurements etc. I was just suggesting that although the bird in question had a long robust bill, sometimes mentioned for SLW, this may also be sex related so that you would get large billed female? PLLW and small billed male? SLW.

The bird in this thread is unquestionably one of the two species, probably a PLLW :smoke:

With regards the rather appalling window strike rate in relatively good conditions... can you not encourage them to put window stickers (BOP silhouettes work well ) on the hotel?

Last edited:
With regards the rather appalling window strike rate in relatively good conditions... can you not encourage them to put window stickers (BOP silhouettes work well ) on the hotel?

Hi Mark. I'll ask around about BOP silhouettes next time I'm there.

I linked to the Facebook page because I wanted to show people measuring PLWs and SLWs. The point was that those researchers in Thailand are trying to distinguish between the two sp. using measurements. Whether the bird in that photo is an SLW or a PLW is of no importance at all as regards this discussion. One can either go to the breeding grounds and hear PLW and SLW singing, or one can catch one and do the measurements. That's the only point I was trying to make.

Two early hours at the Shanghai Botancal Garden this morning. Not a whole lot of birds, but quite a few yellow-browed warblers and chestnut buntings around. Two Tristram's buntings. One woodcock. One unidentified accipiter flew by.

Two early hours at the Shanghai Botancal Garden this morning. Not a whole lot of birds, but quite a few yellow-browed warblers and chestnut buntings around. Two Tristram's buntings. One woodcock. One unidentified accipiter flew by.

Looks like you are picking up the woodcock's more and more. Good luck for the rest of the month.:t:

Looks like you are picking up the woodcock's more and more. Good luck for the rest of the month.:t:

Yeah, they seem to be on the move! Heading to Huangshan this weekend and then working in Beijing all of next week, hopefully with some spare time for birding. Hope to see some good birds, woodcocks are plentiful back home in Sweden :)

Brown Crake, Century Park.

Since winter break has opened up a good deal of free time for me, I've been taking short trips to Century Park recently to check out what's showing. Generally, it seems as if the numbers of wintering birds overall has somewhat declined since previous years, but some old visitors are still there- I had at least one Eastern Buzzard, an accipiter (most likely a Eurasian Sparrowhawk, but s/he was quite far up, and confirming features could not be seen well), Yellow-bellied Tits, and the usual thrushes. It seems Dusky and Naumann are still the most abundant out of the regular winterers, with some Pale, and a few Grey-backed, as well as the resident Blackbirds. A great deal of Spotted Doves as well, but I have yet to find an Oriental Turtle- though I'm not really looking all that hard, truth be told.

A trip today to see if I could locate the reported Japanese Grosbeaks did not turn up the intended target (I only found a few Chinese Grosbeaks), but I did find something that more than compensated for the Grosbeak. I observed a Brown Crake strolling about in a vegetated patch near the water. When I first saw it at a distance, I recognized instantly it wasn't a Little Grebe (which are the commonest aquatic birds in the park at the moment). I had a slight suspicion of Moorhen (and White-breasted Waterhen too, though I've only encountered the latter species once in Century), but a quick glance with my binoculars erased those suspicions. My bird was a clean-plumaged adult Brown Crake, bobbing its tail up and down as it flipped over dead leaves, looking for food. A lovely bird! And what's more, a very uncommon species in Shanghai. As of yet, Amaurornis akool has been my best find yet in the Park this winter. :-O

Nice one on the crake. I saw one in Nanjing years ago in a small garden in a tiny park right in the middle of the city. Maybe they have something with city park ponds? Nice sighting.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back