• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (51 Viewers)

Anyone see the Serin this afternoon - has it only visited the feeding station twice all day or is it more regular than the pager suggests?

C

Question?

Would also like to know if anyone has visited the Stubb Mill raptor roost recently and seen the Cranes etc..

Much appreciated

Matt

I went to Stubb Mill last Sunday, ten Cranes flew in to roost in the reeds at about 3, but views were brief, standing on the wooden viewing platform they flew in from the left behind the hedge and then dropped down almost straight away. There were around 25 marsh harriers, barn owl and chinese water deer at the watchpoint, and fieldfare and yellowhammer on the track down to the mill.

With regards to Hickling access, whilst the track is wide enough, I don't think you would be allowed to drive down it, I think it's just for reserve vehicles and access to the cadbury house at the end, but thats just a guess! ;)

Went to check up on a Grey Shrike sp. Simeon and I saw from the car on Wednesday, between Dersingham and Lynn. Couldn't find it, but I guess someone spotted the 2 birders walking by the side of the road because a Great Grey Shrike was reported there not 1 hour after we left :-C! A phone call from Connor informed us that it was reported 2 weeks ago, but luckily we didn't know about that (thank goodness for Punkbirder self-find rules :t:). I expect details are in the report sent out today - near the river Babingly shortly after the Castle Rising turning if you are heading towards Dersingham from Knight's Hill, although it is very difficult to access. Best bet would either be to park at Castle Rising and walk along the concrete path to the area, or alternatively there is a layby nearby.

Titchwell December 19th

Today's highlights

Snow bunting - 115 at Thornham Point
Twite - 4 at Thornham Point
Waxwing - 1 west @ 13:30
Hen harrier - 3 (male, imm male, ad female) over reedbed @ dusk
Marsh harrier - 5 to roost in reedbed
Spotted redshank - 5 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 2 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 8 on brackish marsh
Eider - 20 offshore
Long tailed duck - 1 offshore

Paul

Went to check up on a Grey Shrike sp. Simeon and I saw from the car on Wednesday, between Dersingham and Lynn. Couldn't find it, but I guess someone spotted the 2 birders walking by the side of the road because a Great Grey Shrike was reported there not 1 hour after we left :-C! A phone call from Connor informed us that it was reported 2 weeks ago, but luckily we didn't know about that (thank goodness for Punkbirder self-find rules :t:). I expect details are in the report sent out today - near the river Babingly shortly after the Castle Rising turning if you are heading towards Dersingham from Knight's Hill, although it is very difficult to access. Best bet would either be to park at Castle Rising and walk along the concrete path to the area, or alternatively there is a layby nearby.

Ahhh, but see punkbirder rule 3 :eek!:;)

Seemingly no sign of the Serin today - bit of a surprise... Good to see there were some Twite at Thornham point - just want some within the recording area now please :t:

Ahhh, but see punkbirder rule 3

Sorry Connor, did you just say something about not wanting a lift tomorrow :p? Rule 3 is prejudiced against people who have lives (...and who have left their Christmas shopping 'til the last minute :eek!:) and you know it!

Has anybody got more information on the Serin please? Has it even been looked for today?

Last edited:
Norfolk update?

Snow bunting - 115 at Thornham Point, Twite - 4 at Thornham Point, Waxwing - 1 west @ 13:30, Eider - 20 offshore, Long tailed duck - 1 offshore. Paul

Hi Paul and all

I'm arriving in the Uk tomorrow and keen for an update if anyone has a little time. Not actually getting over to Norfolk until 28th but interested in any information on the above between now and then plus:

All divers
Red-necked Grebe
Bewicks Swan
Whooper Swan
Goosander
Smew
Long-tailed Duck
Scoters
Black Brant
Barnacle Goose
Rough-legged Buzzard
Short-eared Owl
Glaucous Gull
Iceland Gull
Waxwing
Bearded Reedling
Redpoll/s
Twite
Lapland Bunting
Snow Bunting... and anything else you fancy.

And where's Thornham Point?

all the seasonal best

Stephen, for Bewick's and Whooper swan go to Welney WWT, and for Goosander you want Denver Sluice. You should find directions for both fairly easily n the web, but if you want more info on Denver Sluice look at the 'patches' section on the Young Norfolk Birders site.

Thornham Point is most easily accessed from Titchwell RSPB (not sure how to get there from Thornham Village/Holme). From Titchwell RSPB, walk along the main path to the beach, then left/west on the beach for about 2-300m. It is a reasonably large area of bushes/trees right on the coast behind the dunes. It is visibe from Titchwell reserve. Ask someone at the visitor centre in Titchwell if in doubt...
Good luck

Hi Stephen

The last winter I was in Norfolk a seawatch from the Holkham Dunes area was good for RTDiver, RNGrebe, Slav Grebe, LTDuck. There was also Twite on the beach area.

Further west towards Holme and then down towards the wash (Hunstanton) the chances of LTDuck, Common and Velvet Scoter increase. We also saw a Glaucous Gull from the cliffs at Hunstanton.

Bearded Reedling - Cley and Titchwell (confirmation anyone?).

Steve
http://www.BirdingInSpain.com

[of SalQUO WhereTE=jimmconcygy y ;1360529]Tbuldildh, bugo ornham haamhamsurroPoint is most easily accessed from Titchwell RSPB (not sure how to get there from Thornham Village/Holme). From Titchwell RSPB, walk along the main path to the beach, then left/west on the beach for about 2-300m. It is a reasonably large area of bushes/trees right on the coast behind the dunes. It is visibe from Titchwell reserve. Ask someone at the visitor centre in Titchwell if in doubt...
Good luck[/QUOTE] ck

whenever i go to Titchwell i go to Thornham Point which i see as the area of bushes with the concrete derelict building. the rest appears to be surrounded by Saltmarsh are there any areas in this area wirth checking, PM me if necessary. Whereabout was the Black Throated Thrush?

Bearded Reedling - Cley and Titchwell (confirmation anyone?).

Steve

Yes, and early morning is best, the more sun and less wind the better; with regards to Cley I've had better views from the reedbeds near the windmill than I've ever had along the East bank.

whenever i go to Titchwell i go to Thornham Point which i see as the area of bushes with the concrete derelict building. the rest appears to be surrounded by Saltmarsh are there any areas in this area wirth checking, PM me if necessary. Whereabout was the Black Throated Thrush?

Yes, this is Thornham point, although the eastern end of the Holme dunes area is also often referred to as Thornham point as well. The bushes around the derelict buildings are the most well-known, usually birdless except in falls when it can be extremely productive. In winter the entire Thornham point area holds a flock of Snow Bunting and often Twite, but these flocks are wide-ranging so I cannot say exactly where they will be.

As for the thrush, PM Connor for details if he wishes to divulge them, I do not see a big problem with this myself apart from its being down a private road with limited access. However, I can't really think of a reason you would want to go there!

Hi Paul and all

I'm arriving in the Uk tomorrow and keen for an update if anyone has a little time. Not actually getting over to Norfolk until 28th but interested in any information on the above between now and then plus:

All divers
Red-necked Grebe
Bewicks Swan
Whooper Swan
Goosander
Smew
Long-tailed Duck
Scoters
Black Brant
Barnacle Goose
Rough-legged Buzzard
Short-eared Owl
Glaucous Gull
Iceland Gull
Waxwing
Bearded Reedling
Redpoll/s
Twite
Lapland Bunting
Snow Bunting... and anything else you fancy.

And where's Thornham Point?

all the seasonal best

Hi there Steve.
Red Necked Grebe- Wroxham Broad off and on this last week. If not, fairly regular off titchwell this time of year.
Black Brant- Titchwell or Wells- somewhere near the golf course on route to the wells woods car park.
RL Buzzard- has been one around Hiclking broad I understand, but not regular.
SE Owl- Holkham, the fields off Lady Annes drive. Plus, Warham greens has had 1 bird in the last week, along with hen harrier and merlin. Worth a look.
Glaucous Gull- Salthouse beach today, not far from carpark. Cley also on and off.
Bearded Reedling- Cley should produce
Twite, laps and snows- try your luck anywhere! Not seen lapland this winter but have had the others on the east coast, happisburgh and eccles.
Enyoy your stay, this thread should keep you updated with any news, any questions PM me by all means.
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the golden pheasants came to be at Sculthorpe Moore?! Not 'real' surely?! But then what can you really call real.....
Plus, im thinking of going to Warham Greens over the christmas period. Can anyone tell me where to park and watch from?
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
As I have recently spoken to several people about it, I may as well add that I have it on good authority that the 'new-found' population/pair of Golden Pheasants at Sculthorpe were delibrately released recently from a very local breeder ;) to boost visitor numbers and such like! :eek!:

Quote from one of my posts from earlier in the year! :t::-O

As I have recently spoken to several people about it, I may as well add that I have it on good authority that the 'new-found' population/pair of Golden Pheasants at Sculthorpe were delibrately released recently from a very local breeder ;) to boost visitor numbers and such like! :eek!:

Quote from one of my posts from earlier in the year! :t::-O

Thanks Connor - typical eh and there was me thinking that I had finally ticked the golden pheasant off after numerous dips at Wolferton.... next time I am at Sculthorpe I shall let them know that I am not best pleased at the misleading info!
Thanks again
Tina

Users who are viewing this thread

Back